OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Nikon EDG

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nikon EDG
    Posted: May/11/2008 at 22:50
Anyone seen the new Nikon flagship binocular?  I think they're called ED's.  It's on Nikon's website now.

EDIT: You're right, it's Nikon EDG

Edited by timber - May/15/2008 at 02:45
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/11/2008 at 23:31
Nikon EDG.

THey looked very impressive at SHOT show, but I have not taken one to the field yet.

ILya
SAKO75 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SAKO75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/13/2008 at 13:44
timber
i have not seen them. however, after hunting with 7x42 slc neu's last year, i would urge you to save 700$ & check them out...i have looked through all the other premium glass & decided to go with these
birdhunter View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote birdhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/14/2008 at 12:55
+1 for the Swarovski SLC 7x42s
Birdhunter
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/14/2008 at 13:00
Swaro SLCneu 7x42 were my go to binoculars for a while.  The biggest reason for that was Swaro's largest sweetspot of all the top binos out there.  It is hard to say without a side by side comparison, but the EDGs may be better than Swaros in that regard.

ILya
timber View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/15/2008 at 02:51
I wear prescription eyeglasses and read somewhere they have a long eye relief.  But I can't find the measurement at Nikon USA dot com.

I have a pair of Zeiss FL's and like them alot but I could use more eye relief than the 16mm they are said to have.  I find myself having to push them against my eyeglasses to get a full sight picture.
SAKO75 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SAKO75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/15/2008 at 08:21
koskin

what replaced the slc's?
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/15/2008 at 13:40
Originally posted by SAKO75 SAKO75 wrote:

koskin

what replaced the slc's?

Nothing yet.  If I can swing it, I will get Zeiss Victory RF 8x45.  Other options are Nikon EDG 7x42 or one of the new Meostars with improved eyecups.

ILya
SAKO75 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SAKO75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/16/2008 at 10:36
koshkin, ultimately something led to your decision to part with the SLC's. What was it?

I dont think the zeiss 8x45 RF will have the sweet spot the swaro's have and the meopta is close but if u already owned the swaro's, why would u sell to get meopta? The Nikon may very well have the sweet spot but ED glass in a 7x bino is unnecessary IMO...
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/16/2008 at 18:30
I looked at Zeiss 8x45RF binoculars and optically they were very good.  Maybe not the same sweetspot as Swaro, but up there.  I really liked the rangefinder that is built into those RFs though.  The trajectory compensation feature is pretty cool and allows me to combine a couple of things into the same bino.  With Meopta, I like the value for the money and optically they are very close to Swaro with a very relaxing view.

Nikon EDG is the new game in town, and I am simply curious about it.

ILya

anweis View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anweis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/16/2008 at 19:59
Holly cow, that RF 8x45 is impressive. It gives me hope that some day we might get a premium binocular like that with image stabilization? The ones already available are lacking in many ways: size, weight, optics, shape, handling, etc.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic