OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Scope Selection

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bf1073 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Scope Selection
    Posted: May/11/2008 at 09:12
Recently purchased a Browning A-Bolt in .300 Win Mag now needing a scope.  I was thinking something along the line of Nikon 3-12 42mm with BDC or the 4-16 42 mm with BDC.  I chose this because I will be hunting long range and short range in the Colorado area for elk and mule deer.  Also do a lot of hunting in the piney woods area of East Texas where I call home.  Any comments or helpful suggustions would be appreciated.
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/11/2008 at 09:26
The Nikon reticule is a bit large for long-range. What is your budget?

There are many good BDC reticules on the market, I would not put Nikon's near the top of the list.

Give a price range and you will get many suggestions.  Mine, pre- price range is the Swaro  BDC reticule; it ain't cheap, but it is great.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
bf1073 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bf1073 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/11/2008 at 09:28
Price range for me will be $450.00 to $700.00
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/11/2008 at 10:20
i would look at a zeiss conquest with the z-600 reticle
i know its a little more than your budget but far as glass quality goes not a bad choice

Edited by pyro6999 - May/11/2008 at 10:22
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/11/2008 at 10:30
Here are a couple of fine scopes that fall in your category. Both can be mounted in medium rings and have crisp optics.
http://www.swfa.com/pc-3495-307-leupold-45-14x40-vx-iii-riflescope.aspx
http://www.swfa.com/pc-8120-360-burris-3-12x44-signature-select-rifle-scope.aspx
The Zeiss mentioned is also a very good scope.
The Nikon has very nice glass and is a great scope also. I wish they used smaller solid dots instead of the circles. I agree with Rancid. I would check it out and see what you think.

Edited by tahqua - May/11/2008 at 10:37
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/11/2008 at 10:45
Don't forget to add the new bushnell 4200 4-16 with side focus and rain guard, but without range finding plex.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/11/2008 at 10:45
The circles on the BDC subtend 2" at one hundred yards. Here is the Nikon BDC manual http://nikonsro.com/fileuploads/pdfs/BDC_manual.pdf
I also found that our resident Nikon man thinks they work just fine and has some target pics here:http://www.opticstalk.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=10783

Edited by tahqua - May/11/2008 at 10:47
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/11/2008 at 10:53
i like my nikon scopes but the only thing that i keep in the back of my mind is the poor image of there cs dept, now in 7yrs i havent had any issues knock on wood.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/11/2008 at 14:10
Originally posted by pyro6999 pyro6999 wrote:

i like my nikon scopes but the only thing that i keep in the back of my mind is the poor image of there cs dept, now in 7yrs i havent had any issues knock on wood.

well THAT's a good thing....I guess they are not breaking apart!!   Smile 
mercenary1947 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mercenary1947 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/11/2008 at 15:02
 Seems like 7 years and no problems " NIKONS "is the best recommendation I could ever imagine . Not even the so called leupold never any poblems hype gets thumped on that one .    Thunbs%20Up
One Shot One Kill .... *S.O.F * Head Shots Only
               SWFAM
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/11/2008 at 15:19

How about a couple of thirty to thirty-five year old Weavers like just keep on workin'??  And a twenty five year old Redfield or two....??  Shocked    

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/11/2008 at 16:26
they dont like getting wet though do they ed??
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
RONK View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/11/2008 at 16:34
Originally posted by mercenary1947 mercenary1947 wrote:

Seems like 7 years and no problems " NIKONS "is the best recommendation I could ever imagine . Not even the so called leupold never any poblems hype gets thumped on that one .    Thunbs%20Up

That's great, but I have 30-year old Leupolds that have never given me an ounce of trouble and have been hunted HARD.
 Get back to me in a quarter of a century or so, and I'll let you know what I really think of them...
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/11/2008 at 16:38
loopies at least could get wet though
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/11/2008 at 16:52

Well mine have certainly been wet! I have been out in rainstorms!! Snow.  Dust.  Are some of your scopes shrinking or something?? Whacko   
martin3175 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/11/2008 at 17:05
I had a new Monarch 3-9x40 three years back that the windage "went out" after 3 shots on a 30-06..took 3 months to get Nikon to warranty it after they initially sent me a estimate for $169 to fix it ( on a 3 week old scope)..yes- the CS leaves alot to be desired !!!!!!!!!!
That being said, it is the only Monarch I've seen that has had an issue.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/11/2008 at 17:18
Originally posted by Ed Connelly Ed Connelly wrote:

Well mine have certainly been wet! I have been out in rainstorms!! Snow.  Dust.  Are some of your scopes shrinking or something?? Whacko   
they fogged up, my dad has a couple of old k4's and a v16
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/11/2008 at 17:25
ummm........and, unfortunately, it was YOURS!!!  Eek  YIKES!  I guess that's why everyone is so worried about warranties.....this new stuff is just FLYING APART!!!  Shocked  If I bought a scope that cost $400 and it broke, I would have a sh*t  fit.  ( better buy stuff from SWFA, then maybe Chris will just send you ANOTHER one---maybe....)  Big%20Smile    Better yet, let's have a thread about which scopes ARE NOT Flying Apart!!! 

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/11/2008 at 17:26
they are old weavers my new scopes are just fine
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/11/2008 at 17:29

Originally posted by Ed Connelly Ed Connelly wrote:

they fogged up, my dad has a couple of old k4's and a v16

No fogging up to report.  Although I can say that my Weaver K-4-1 Micro Trac from the late seventies was LOTS Brighter than my 1981 4X Leupold ( which also never fogged up....it just went to bed early....)

Laugh
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic