OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Need help with ring and base selection

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emrisg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need help with ring and base selection
    Posted: May/10/2008 at 14:28
I posted this in the ring and base section but got no responses. Any help would be appreciated.

I am getting a GA precision rifle built for hunting in 308. I have typically used the leupold rings and bases on my other rifles.

I have a 3-12-56 30MM Kahles that will be going on it.

What is the best rings and bases for the job. Do they new tactical rings and bases make that much difference?

Thanks

Emris
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/10/2008 at 18:46
Congrats on getting a GA Precision rifle, first off!!

Leupold rings and base will STILL work well for you. Yep,%20Thought%20So

If you want to get more "tactical", or you prefer a one piece rail, you can move over to Badger Ord. or TPS.
I own both brands and they are great. 
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/10/2008 at 20:25
Are your Leupolds Mk 4s or dovetails?

If your leupold stuff is in good repair (and not dovetail), I'd say it is safe to use.  Given the rifle and scope you are mating, I'd recommend something better: spending $3,000 on a rifle and joining it to a $1,000 scope with $50 rings is like buying a Ferrari and running regular unleaded.

If you aren't happy with the Leupold, get Badger, mount it correctly (or have it mounted by a pro) and never worry about it.

GAP deserves better than Leupold rings - in my opinion, but it's your gun.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/10/2008 at 20:31
For a hunting rig, I would go with the Talley 2 pc. mounts.

Roy
RONK View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/10/2008 at 21:03
 You really need to hold a set of Badger tactical  steel rings in your hand at least once in your lifetime, to truly appreciate the meaning of "Heavy Duty".
 As far as whether they make a difference or not, it really depends on how roughly you have to treat your rig. If you are careful handling it, many brands of rings would work fine.  If you drag it behind a Jeep regularly, Badger or TPS rings or something on that order will hold everything together much better.

Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/10/2008 at 21:14
If they are going on a tactical type rifle you can go with the tactical style rings from any mentioned. On a hunting weight rig, tactical style rings look silly and there isn't really any need for such a heavy duty set-up. Just my humble opinion.

Roy
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/10/2008 at 21:39
 Good point, I missed the part where he said it was a hunting rifle he was having built.  I read GAP, and automatically went into "tactical" mode...

Edited by RONK - May/10/2008 at 21:39
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/10/2008 at 21:43
I would have assuming the same and now I'm not sure if it's a tactical type or hunting duty ready.

EMRISG: Is this a heavy barreled 308 that George built or is it a sporter???

Roy
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/11/2008 at 10:52
Originally posted by Roy Finn Roy Finn wrote:

If they are going on a tactical type rifle you can go with the tactical style rings from any mentioned. On a hunting weight rig, tactical style rings look silly and there isn't really any need for such a heavy duty set-up. Just my humble opinion.

Roy

Thank you, Roy! I like Talley's on my hunting rifles, too.

emrisg View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emrisg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/11/2008 at 17:59
This is the non typical hunting rifle he builds with a 25" barrel and a McMillian stock. I did not know if the tactile style mounts would aid in accuracy. The added weight will not be an issue.

I totally agree about spending all this money for a rifle and then getting cheap mounts. If the tactile mounts are better then I will get them. I just wanted to ask before spending the $300.

Thanks for all your help
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/11/2008 at 18:24
The tactical mounts will not aid in accuracy. They are probably stronger than the Talley's, but for hunting, any type of hunting, this is a non-issue. You might want to double check on whether or not your receiver is drilled for 6-48 or 8-40 screws though. Some of the guys that built tactical rifles drill for the larger (8-40) screws. You will need to know that before buying any mounts. You can be sure of one thing and that is it's going to be an accurate rig either way. GA Precision doesn't fool around.

Roy
emrisg View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emrisg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/11/2008 at 20:16
Thanks to everybody for their help. I have decided to use the talley fixed rings and bases.

EG
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic