OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Everything Else > Almost Anything Goes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Work Boots

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mercenary1947 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/10/2008 at 13:41
 I have the Red Wing 12"  Elk Trackers with the 1000 grams of thinsulte . Great boot and I've beaten them to death in mud ... water/creeks ... sharp rocky areas and  they still are in great shape . One good thing ... they're not foot cookers as some are .  Were very comfortable right out of the box .... not feet shredders . A little neat's foot oil maintenance and they look darn good . Have had them for a few years and love them ... extremely comforable .   

Edited by mercenary1947 - May/10/2008 at 13:46
One Shot One Kill .... *S.O.F * Head Shots Only
               SWFAM
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/10/2008 at 13:48
WELL!!! THAT'S more like it!!!  I'm writin' this down!!   Thunbs%20Up    
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/10/2008 at 13:50
Originally posted by mercenary1947 mercenary1947 wrote:

I have the Red Wing 12"  Elk Trackers with the 1000 grams of thinsulte . Great boot and I've beaten them to death in mud ... water/creeks ... sharp rocky areas and  they still are in great shape . One good thing ... they're not foot cookers as some are .  Were very comfortable right out of the box .... not feet shredders . A little neat's foot oil maintenance and they look darn good . Have had them for a few years and love them ... extremely comforable .   

those are irish setters not red wings, i have a pair of 1200gr whitail hunters and i like them for hunting and ice fishing, if it gets really cold i have a pair of -150 degree c-a-b-e-l-a-s pack boots.

They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
mercenary1947 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mercenary1947 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/10/2008 at 16:09
 Yea ... there I go again .... bought them at Cabella's. Took them out of the closet to see my dumb mistake ...  
               SWFAM
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/10/2008 at 18:52
Originally posted by helo18 helo18 wrote:

Whites is the only way to go.  My brother used one pair for 6 years on a fire crew with no problems.  And they are completely rebuildable.  I have had my pair for 3 years working in a lumber yard and they are still going strong.  Buy the whites.
i found out that the super rain forest made by danner is also rebuildable
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/10/2008 at 19:51
Danners for hunting.

I have used Wolverines, Red Wings for many years, but I've used Georgia Boots and they have been great. Concrete will eat the stitching right out of a good pair of boots.

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/10/2008 at 20:50
the more i talk to some older guys the more im thinking i will get a pair of whites.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/10/2008 at 21:05
Originally posted by pyro6999 pyro6999 wrote:

Originally posted by helo18 helo18 wrote:

Whites is the only way to go.  My brother used one pair for 6 years on a fire crew with no problems.  And they are completely rebuildable.  I have had my pair for 3 years working in a lumber yard and they are still going strong.  Buy the whites.
i found out that the super rain forest made by danner is also rebuildable

Good to hear that about danner.  At the time I had mine (about 8 years ago) they weren't rebuildable.  I am sure you would get a good boot with the danners.  I honestly haven't looked at danners since I got my whites.  I use my Irish Setters (Elk Trackers) for hunting and guiding (wore them out in two seasons and need to find a new pair for this year, so this thread is helping me out), and whites for work in the lumber yard and out on the ranch.
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/10/2008 at 21:09
well i called every store in fargo nd and nobody had the 10" danner i was looking for, so i called the only store in minnesota that deal's white boots, they sell all kinds of boots, they sell danners as well, and the salesman i talked too knew what danner boot i was looking for and said while they are a very nice boot for $130 more the white smokejumper would be twice the boot that the danner is.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/10/2008 at 21:19

I can believe that about the white vs the danners.  I can't recommend them enough.  Just remember that if you get the white, they can hurt for a little while during the break in period, but then they will be very comfortable.  Plus if you are short like me, they make you a good three inches taller.  Big%20Smile

Edited by helo18 - May/10/2008 at 21:19
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/10/2008 at 21:22
yeah my dad said they are a real s.o.b. to break in, he said the best way he's come up with is to put them in water, just above your ankle and wear them wet all day and keep getting them wet as the day goes on, he said after about 3 days of this they are fine, he said otherwise they can take up to a month to break in all the way, one of my buddies who fights wildland with my dad got a pair of whites while enroute to a federal fire and his feet looked like hamburger by the end of the week cause he didnt get a chance to break them in.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/10/2008 at 22:36
                  Eek     why didn't he soak 'em down with a fire hose? or wasn't he around any water??
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/10/2008 at 22:37
Originally posted by Ed Connelly Ed Connelly wrote:

Eek     why didn't he soak 'em down with a fire hose? or wasn't he around any water??
he said stepping in the creek worked pretty well
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/11/2008 at 10:38
well i think im going to order the whites, and man my wifes not impressed with the price tag, but i have 3/4 of the money in hand right now, so the difference will be about half of what i would have spent by getting another pair of red wings.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
mercenary1947 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mercenary1947 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/11/2008 at 13:22
Originally posted by pyro6999 pyro6999 wrote:

yeah my dad said they are a real s.o.b. to break in, he said the best way he's come up with is to put them in water, just above your ankle and wear them wet all day and keep getting them wet as the day goes on, he said after about 3 days of this they are fine, he said otherwise they can take up to a month to break in all the way, one of my buddies who fights wildland with my dad got a pair of whites while enroute to a federal fire and his feet looked like hamburger by the end of the week cause he didnt get a chance to break them in.

Screw that !  No boot worth that .

Edited by mercenary1947 - May/11/2008 at 13:24
               SWFAM
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic