OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

nikon prostaff any good?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cidme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: nikon prostaff any good?
    Posted: May/08/2008 at 21:43
Is a Nikon prostaff 3x9x40 a decent scope?  I think its a nikoplex model.  Looking at a used one and just wondered what people think.  Will it hold up in September Alaska trip?

Thanks
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/09/2008 at 05:07
Yeah, the Prostaff is "decent" scope mechanically and would probably be OK to take.

That said, if I were heading to Alaska for a big game hunt I would take a Nikon Monarch just to have a little piece of mind that if I get in low light situation, I'll be able to see my animal.

Another suggestion would be buying the 3-9x 4200 on sale now. This scope offers Rainguard which may come in handy if your in wet weather and the people here swear works great.

I think your on the wrong optic for an Alaska big game hunt, my friend. I own a Prostaff as well.

All the best on your hunt!

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/09/2008 at 05:20
I think the prostaff would likey hold up in Alaska, but I have to agree with Mark, ruff country requires rugged equipment,  I'd feel comfortable with a more substancial scope.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/09/2008 at 07:28
I have a ProStaff on my 7 mag and it has served well, no problems at all, the set up is very accurate, and has been a very reliable hunting combination.  
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
mercenary1947 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mercenary1947 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/09/2008 at 12:34
 Cheaptrick convinced me of the Nikon Monarch .... bought one ... and am darn glad he did .
One Shot One Kill .... *S.O.F * Head Shots Only
               SWFAM
Northlander1 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Northlander1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/09/2008 at 15:59
I have the Nikon Prostaff 2-7x 32mm mounted on a Rem 870 slug gun. Nice scope, no complaints, but if I were going up to Alaska for a hunt of a lifetime, I would jump up to at least the $200.00 scope price range.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/09/2008 at 16:03
Originally posted by cyborg cyborg wrote:

I have a ProStaff on my 7 mag and it has served well, no problems at all, the set up is very accurate, and has been a very reliable hunting combination.  

BUT...would you take it on a big game hunt to the wilds of Alaska, my dear friend??

Northlander1 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Northlander1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/09/2008 at 16:03
Originally posted by Northlander1 Northlander1 wrote:

I have the Nikon Prostaff 2-7x 32mm mounted on a Rem 870 slug gun. Nice scope, no complaints, but if I were going up to Alaska for a hunt of a lifetime, I would jump up to at least the $200.00 scope price range.

This Sightron is a nice scope for $200.00

Or as noted above, the Bushnell 4200 3-9x 40mm for $249.00
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/09/2008 at 16:09
Originally posted by cheaptrick cheaptrick wrote:

BUT...would you take it on a big game hunt to the wilds of Alaska, my dear friend??

I would indeed, I wouldn't pick it for that purpose, though given the way it has served up to present I don't see a problem. I'd be more worried about the clothing and boots, for staying warm, and comfy.

Cyborg

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/09/2008 at 16:14
That's a heck of an endorsement for the Prostaff, Bill.
I bow to my esteemed colleagues experience with the scope in question.     
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/09/2008 at 16:17

That's a heck of an endorsement for the Prostaff, Bill.
I bow to my esteemed colleagues experience with the scope in question.     
I actually think it speaks more highly of the manufacturer, that their lower end model is this good, or atleast mine has been to this point.

Cyborg
martin3175 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/09/2008 at 19:50

One more vote for the 4200 Elite --at the very least the Rainguard may prove to be a valuable item in Alaska to have

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/09/2008 at 20:29

I would indeed, I wouldn't pick it for that purpose, though given the way it has served up to present I don't see a problem. I'd be more worried about the clothing and boots, for staying warm, and comfy.
i bet my brother in law would take his pro staff to alaska as well, i on the other hand would probably opt for my ucc or 4200 elite, he has his on a browning aboltII light rifle and it kicks fairly good for a .270 and he hasnt had any issues with it in the 5yrs or so that he's owned it.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/10/2008 at 08:07
Given the choice I'd opt for the 4200 as well, I do think that the rainguard is a definite plus.
The only thing about the ProStaff that would shy me away from it for Alaska is the 90% light trans. The Bushnell, or Monarch at 95% is a huge help when the light there in Alaska is low. The ProStaff will do the job though, and would likely hold up just fine. If you are worried about the moisture, you can get the wipes that will help to prevent that.
Bottom line is the Nikon ProStaff is as good as a Leupold VXII, and for several years that was one of the top choices for Alaskan hunts.

Cyborg
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/10/2008 at 14:54
Really?? Then where would you rate the Buckmaster, Cyborg??  Better than the Leupold VX-II??  Bandito 
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/12/2008 at 06:45
Originally posted by Ed Connelly Ed Connelly wrote:

Really?? Then where would you rate the Buckmaster, Cyborg??  Better than the Leupold VX-II??  Bandito 
UMMMMM, Yeah!!!!!!! DUH LocoRoll%20on%20Floor%20Laughing

Cyborg
mercenary1947 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mercenary1947 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/12/2008 at 14:07
 CYBORG ..... yea I use the wipes on mine .... all of them .... and they work darn good on my glasses ... binoculars and goggles . Most newer guys don't realize almost every descent scope made is waterproof .... they think rainguard is waterproofing and the 4200's are the only ones waterproof because of the hype .... untrue . I'm not downgrading rainguard .... it's good ... but some do get that misconception .
One Shot One Kill .... *S.O.F * Head Shots Only
               SWFAM
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/12/2008 at 14:37
The only advantage to rainguard is not having to use the wipes. We all forget things, one less to worry about there. I like the glass in the 4200, that is the deal maker for me. You are correct, ANY DECENT scope is going to be waterproof, nitrogen purged. The main trick is don't take your rifle inside in the heat, and expect that you'll be able to see through the scope untill it cools down to the temperature outside, any humidity will then condense on the outside of the lenses, nitrogen purged or not.WIPES AND RAINGUARD are your best friends here.

Cyborg
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/12/2008 at 16:14

Bucky
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic