OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

monarch 5x20

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote faceplant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: monarch 5x20
    Posted: May/08/2008 at 14:11
I am thinking of putting a Nikon Monarch 5x20x44 with BDC on my .308. Used mostly for punching holes in paper. Anyone have this scope or heard much about it?
mercenary1947 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mercenary1947 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2008 at 14:35
 I think that's the new redesigned one .... cheaptrick knows all the lowdown on them . He's gonna kill me for sending people to him all the time ..... Spanker  but he's the man in the know !
One Shot One Kill .... *S.O.F * Head Shots Only
               SWFAM
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2008 at 16:57
Everything I've heard is very positive. I wouldn't hesitate.
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2008 at 19:18
http://www.swfa.com/pc-8771-2201-nikon-5-20x44-monarch-riflescope.aspx

Thank you for the kind words about my Nikon prowess, Gentlemen, but I'm not familiar with the model in question.
I looked through one at a store a while back, but couldn't tell much there, obviously. 

Looks like it comes with a BDC or Nikoplex reticle and it is indeed the new Monarch, as Merc mentioned. 
I'm pretty high on the new Monarchs so far, after getting a 4-16x w/ the BDC reticle. Lightweight and slim design, 4" fixed eye relief, and the 4x erector that the new Monarch has are features usually reserved for higher end scopes.  

The Nikoplex reticle for paper punching would be a good fit. How far out are you planning on shooting?
Not a lot of elevation with that scope and that scope DOESN'T come with the target knobs like the 6-24x offers.
Nikon is supposed to come out this summer with target knobs for the lower powered units that they will sell separately, but I don't know anything more than that.

Welcome to Optics Talk!!
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
ARBOB View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ARBOB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/09/2008 at 19:21
I have the nikon monarch 4-16x42 with BDC On my AR.I love it,I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one.
“There are hundreds of millions of gun owners in this country.The only misuse of guns comes in environments where there are drugs, alcohol, bad parents, and undisciplined children. Period.”TED NUGENT
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mercenary1947 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/09/2008 at 23:25
Originally posted by cheaptrick cheaptrick wrote:

http://www.swfa.com/pc-8771-2201-nikon-5-20x44-monarch-riflescope.aspx

Thank you for the kind words about my Nikon prowess, Gentlemen, but I'm not familiar with the model in question.
I looked through one at a store a while back, but couldn't tell much there, obviously. 

Looks like it comes with a BDC or Nikoplex reticle and it is indeed the new Monarch, as Merc mentioned. 
I'm pretty high on the new Monarchs so far, after getting a 4-16x w/ the BDC reticle. Lightweight and slim design, 4" fixed eye relief, and the 4x erector that the new Monarch has are features usually reserved for higher end scopes.  

The Nikoplex reticle for paper punching would be a good fit. How far out are you planning on shooting?
Not a lot of elevation with that scope and that scope DOESN'T come with the target knobs like the 6-24x offers.
Nikon is supposed to come out this summer with target knobs for the lower powered units that they will sell separately, but I don't know anything more than that.

Welcome to Optics Talk!!

I thought they took too many features out .... and was'nt worth the extra cost with lost features .... and was thumped for saying so on another post . Just my opinion .
               SWFAM
rooshooter View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rooshooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/10/2008 at 05:57
i have the 5-20 and it came with the sunshade and two extra sets of target knobs.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/10/2008 at 07:25
Originally posted by rooshooter rooshooter wrote:

i have the 5-20 and it came with the sunshade and two extra sets of target knobs.

Rooshooter is correct and I'm mistaken, The 5-20x DOES come with a sunshade and target turrets. My bad, Gents!

Guess my Nikon Foo is not up to par......Really%20Sad

Thanks for the correction, Roo!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/10/2008 at 07:37
Merc:
The older Nikon's WERE priced higher until the new models came out, then SWFA and other optics vendors lowered the price to move them all out to make room for "The Deuce". (New Monarch) Wink

The Monarch you just bought for around $400 
(the 6.5-20x44 lit reticle) sold for around $600-$650 dollars a few years ago. 
Yeah, you STOLE it!!!! Devil

I didn't think Nikon jacked the price up too bad on new Monarch when you compare it with the VX3's and the Conquest's. JMO.
faceplant View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote faceplant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/11/2008 at 13:15
Thanks for the answers. I have a 20moa base and will be shooting mostly to 500yds.
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mercenary1947 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/11/2008 at 19:29
 True trick ... I love mine !
               SWFAM
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic