OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

What’s a BEC Scope?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sgtdraino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What’s a BEC Scope?
    Posted: December/08/2004 at 00:13

Hello peoples,

This is my first post, and I'm as ignorant as they come when it comes to scopes, so please be kind.

Just bought my very first scope, a cheap $40 "BEC" brand scope from Sportsman's Guide. Tried to find some information out about it, and haven't even been able to figure out what "BEC" stands for. I note that you guys generally regard scopes in the $300 range to be "low-end," so I'll take it for granted that my cheapo is nothing to write home about. But it's really all I can afford at the moment. If it turns out to be complete crud, at least I'm only out $40.

So, can anyone tell me ANYTHING about the  "BEC 3-12 x 44 mm Lighted Reticle Scope" I bought? Or "BEC" in general?

Be kind, but be honest. 

1 SERVE THE PUBLIC TRUST
2 PROTECT THE INNOCENT
3 UPHOLD THE LAW
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/08/2004 at 00:29
Hey OTJ, are you sure it was BEC, not BDC? If the later, it would stand for Bullet Drop Compensator. Just a thought.
sgtdraino View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sgtdraino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/08/2004 at 01:07

Yeah, I'm sure. There were several "BEC" products I noticed, all spelled like that. If you want, you can take a look at my cheapo scope:

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=144264

1 SERVE THE PUBLIC TRUST
2 PROTECT THE INNOCENT
3 UPHOLD THE LAW
Boomholzer View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boomholzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/08/2004 at 08:56
It's a low-end scope manufacturer from Germany.  Quality varies drastically in the overall lineup. I don't know what involvement (if any) they have with Asia.
Their scope line consists of "EuroLux" or "GoldLabel".

Cheaperthandirt.com sells quite a few of them also.

Hopefully it will hold zero for you. Good luck.
I would avoid the BEC. I had one on a .223 and it broke in a year or so.  BEC did replace it for $12 in inspection plus shipping and handling.

Edited by Boomholzer
new pig hunter View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote new pig hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/09/2004 at 10:51

Last year I bought a 3-9x42 BEC from sportsman's guide & installed it on a .223 Bushmaster.  It was the perfect shorty-length to mount on the handle and perfect for my needs:  to hit a 6"-square steel plate at 100 yards or so.

I didn't expect it to necessarily last too long, but it has performed admirably.  It holds zero, optical quality is good enough during a bright sunny desert day to always see the target, and I've not been disappointed, especially after putting over 5,000 rounds downrange.

Then during the recent desert trip it failed, something happened to the image and I could hear something rattling around inside.  When I got home I unscrewed & removed the objective lens assembly.  The "hold it all together" threaded ring had unthreaded, so I simply removed the threaded ring, gooped it up with LocTite, reassembled, and reinstalled.  Just like new I guess.....

I haven't had it back to the desert yet, but I'm expecting it to work just fine.

Cheers,

Carl

gozarian View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gozarian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/09/2004 at 13:24
You better keep that scope in the desert where it's dry or your going to have big problems!  I suspect it may work just fine but how will it do if you are out in the rain for any extended period of time?

redneckbmxer24 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redneckbmxer24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/11/2004 at 08:44

BEC's crap.

cory

If guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns, I'll be only one of millions!!!
new pig hunter View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote new pig hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/12/2004 at 12:58

should I ever be foolish enough to be out in the rain with the scope..... well, that won't happen..... where I live it rarely rains but when it does we're smart enough to go indoors or get under cover .... most of us anyway..... we born-&-raised flatlanders don't like nature's free skin moisturizer because it might make us melt.

as for BEC being crap..... well, if there is any truth to the adage that you get what you pay for, I've received back more than I hoped for since it has lasted this long.  And if there's any truth to the older adage that a person should be careful what they pray for, then the BEC has certainly delivered a whole lot more than I expected, which was a scope for simply having some plinking fun..... quarter-sized groups not required.

Cheers,

Carl

ironsight762 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ironsight762 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/24/2008 at 00:05
i have a "crappy 3x9x42 " BEC scope and it works fine. if you can learn to operate with low-end equiptment the rest is easy. good luck!
Chaos75 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chaos75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/03/2008 at 17:27
I also have a new BEC INC 3-9x42 scope for my AR-15. The resolution is poor but the price was very reasonable to try out.  One problem, there is no elevaton knob, only windage, and a range knob 1-5 (100 yds).  Despite what I do with this knob the elevation is off.  I can group well from a left to right standpoint but my elevation is off, any suggestions? Ironsight, since you too have a BEC scope how did you zero yours in?
Longbeard.386 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Longbeard.386 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2009 at 06:52
Boomholzer, In the past you replied to a forum member regarding a BEC Scope. You stated that you sent your back for repairs and they "re-did" it for $12.00. Would you be so kind as to send me the contact info you used for BEC? Much appreciated.  Longbeard.386 (in Central Florida)...
geodkyt View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geodkyt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/07/2010 at 11:01
I have warranty service contact info for you!

Just a quick hit-and-run reply. . . I only registered for this one post, because I saw this request (while Googling something else), and I just happened to know the answer.

I found this on the Cheaper Than Dirt site, for a (no longer in stock) BEC scope:

This warranty is limited to the original purchaser and is not transferable. This warranty applies only to BEC products purchased in the United States of America. Should it become necessary to repair your BEC product package it carefully and return it prepaid to:

BEC Service Station
1227 W. Valley Blvd.
Alhambra, CA 91803
(626)281-5751

Include your name and address, a brief note explaining the defect and a check or money order for $12.00 to cover inspection, shipping and handling. The unit will either be repaired or replaced at the discretion of the warrantor, In the event the repair is not covered by this warranty an estimate will be sent for your approval.
stickbow46 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/07/2010 at 21:15
Welcome to the OT all you first time posters!

Might want to go back & reread the rules as There is no advertising of competitve companies other than SWFA!This is a free site for us but SWFA is picking up the tab,lets give something back.Also SWFA has a match price pollicy.

Again welcome but play by the rulesSmile
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
neilbilly View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neilbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/07/2010 at 22:00

Welcome

I'm not a glass snob by any stretch, but would point you in a different direction. I've spent a ton with Sportsman's Guide and Cheaper than dirt, but will only buy optics from SWFA now. Great folks to deal with and the privilege of getting to post and learn from the guys here. 

I said I'd point you in a different direction and I'll briefly explain why. 

The quality control on low budget optics is pretty spotty. Those companies are very concerned with production numbers and a lot less concerned about the quality of the product. Like any production facility, you'll have worker bees and you'll have drones. If you get lucky and get one assembled by a worker bee, that also had a worker bee before him making sure the parts were good, you can get a very serviceable scope for little money. If not you get something for $40 that when it fails, you kinda expect it and those companies hope it's not worth the hassle to you to deal with their customer support. 

If your budget is small, "no shame there" you might look at something on the sample list here.

http://www.samplelist.com/ViewProducts.aspx

You might also have a look at  these.

http://swfa.com/Hawke-3-9x40-Sport-HD-Riflescope-P45846.aspx

http://swfa.com/Konus-3-9x40-Konuspro-Riflescope-P47370.aspx

http://swfa.com/Simmons-3-9x40-8-Point-Rifle-Scope-P3445.aspx

Hope this helps some.

If God didn't want me to play with it, he'd of made my arms shorter.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic