OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Hunting, Fishing & General Outdoors > General Hunting
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Ruger #1 sight help

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2008 at 21:37
Originally posted by tahqua tahqua wrote:

Shots taken at ~1253ft MSL, 61degF, 58%humidity, winds variable 20-25mph moving left to right. After mounting S&B 4X36 9 reticle scope. The far right of target (blue tape) is first 5 shots. There are 5 shots in the 100yd group. The 200yd group, I was using the 100yd group as my aim point. However, I don't get to shoot as much lately (travel a lot) as I would like, and over corrected for wind. I believe the "flyer" was simply due to wind dying down the two touching were at a wind gust, but I was over adjusting.
This doesn't come close to the groups reported in Shooting Times lastest Accuracy Secrets edition
Tahqua, thank you for posting for me.

Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2008 at 00:31
Should have updated: I ordered the fiber optic front sight, should be here day after Memorial Day. Still not sure if I need the peep. I like them, just not convinced I need one. One reason I want to go back to the open sights is the raw speed of acquisition. The front FO may do all I need. I fully mounted the Pentax 4x tonight, expect to shoot it in tomorrow. It was mounted, just do not do all the little "extras" until today, Level/Level/Level, full ring alignment, torqued the screws, re-boresight. It is ready to bang, now.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2008 at 23:13
Just swapped scopes on two rifles...put the NIKON Laser on the .220Swift (permanent mount this time) and the dreaded NcStar on the 30-06 (and by the way, while boresighting, noticed a couple of odd movements of the reticle while focusing...maybe just me, but it gave me pause. This thing may be showing signs of its cheapness.)   That is certainly NOT a permanent mount. They both look better the other way.   The NIKON looks a little odd no matter what I put it on, but it looked pretty good sitting on the -06. Only mediocre on the Remington. Have to sight in this weekend for upcoming hog hunt...3 rifles to shoot in this weekend.   
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/01/2008 at 15:30
Originally posted by Kickboxer Kickboxer wrote:

Just swapped scopes on two rifles...put the NIKON Laser on the .220Swift (permanent mount this time) and the dreaded NcStar on the 30-06 (and by the way, while boresighting, noticed a couple of odd movements of the reticle while focusing...maybe just me, but it gave me pause. This thing may be showing signs of its cheapness.)   That is certainly NOT a permanent mount. They both look better the other way.   The NIKON looks a little odd no matter what I put it on, but it looked pretty good sitting on the -06. Only mediocre on the Remington. Have to sight in this weekend for upcoming hog hunt...3 rifles to shoot in this weekend.   

This was the 3006 before the scope changeover. My daughter keeps the digital camera hidden from me, but someday when I find it again, I will post the Etronx with this scope on it.
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/10/2008 at 07:56
Well, the hog hunt did not go exactly as my fantasy envisioned.  FIrst,, I did not take the 30-06, decided 2.5 days was a little short for hunting 3 rifles.  I stalked MILES and MILES  through snake country without ever seeing, hearing, smelling, fantasizing a hog.  I switched from the Lott to the 220 Swift and finally got a shot at the only hog I saw.  Processed him last night.  He was a small boar, about 110lbs before he was dressed.  Any larger than about 130 and I am not going to eat it. 
As for pictures... there were a few guys having a beer or two and I let one of them look at the pictures on my camera.  After I got about halfway back home, found that he had managed to delete all of them,  somehow.  Beer and cameras are a dangerous combination.  I know, this post is useless without pictures, but did not think anyone wanted to look at trees and the river... the only pictures I have left from this trip. 
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic