OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Hunting, Fishing & General Outdoors > General Hunting
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Ruger #1 sight help

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ruger #1 sight help
    Posted: May/07/2008 at 10:56
As a hunting forum, and with all the experience here, perhaps someone could make a suggestion.  I have a Ruger #1 Tropical .458 Lott.  (I just love it, by the way).  I currently have S&B 4x36-9 on it, because the Ruger "stock" iron sight is so atrocious.  Can anyone recommend a good iron sight for the Ruger that can be seen at low light?  Good eyes, but I could not take a shot at a BIG buck early in the season last year because I could not find the front sight in low light.  I was holding 3/4in at 100yd in good light and less than 2in at 200.  One 3round group at 300yd was slightly under 4in.  It is better at the longer ranges with the scope, but since it IS a Lott, I am partial to the iron.  Most of my shots are taken very near dark.  Certainly nothing wrong with the scope...
silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2008 at 13:50

Hobby Lobby has glow in the dark paint... Is it the front or rear sight that you want to improve?

Edited by silver - May/07/2008 at 13:51
"If we weren't all crazy we, We would go insane."   Jimmie Buffet

WWW.formitch.com

tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2008 at 19:57
There is not a whole lot out there but http://www.newenglandcustomgun.com/index.html?Peep%20sight.htm~maindeal can help you, including your front bead.

If this violates a rule please delete. I saw no matching products at  http://www.swfa.com/default.aspx
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2008 at 21:08
Originally posted by tahqua tahqua wrote:

There is not a whole lot out there but http://www.newenglandcustomgun.com/index.html?Peep%20sight.htm~maindeal can help you, including your front bead.

+1.  NECG has some high quality stuff!

Like SWFA, they sell S&B scopes, but I don't think overall they are a big competitor to SWFA.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2008 at 21:11
i'll allow it
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2008 at 21:43
Thank you, all. BIG help. I searched for a while and really couldn't find anything.
RONK View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2008 at 21:45

Anybody who can shoot a .458 Lott that well deserves any help we can offer!
 What sort of bullets you running through that beast?

Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2008 at 22:06
Originally, I was shooting Winchester .458WinMag510gr, which was great, but several experienced users said that after a few hundred rounds (continuous) the WinMag would begin to wear the throat and cause extraction problems. I got some Hornady 500gr Lott(6040ftlb at the muzzle in a 22in barrel), but that is just way overpowered for North American hunting. Plus, it does not allow the shooter any slack. I did not hold tight against my shoulder one day (got cocky) and the Lott gave me a whole new understanding of all the lessons I had previously taken for granted on good "weld". BIG bear or Aftican dangerous game ammo, not what I get around here (Alabama) and Texas.
Grizzly Ammo loaded me some 350gr Hornady jacketed soft point Lott at about 2000fps (1950 in a 22in barrel, the Tropical is 24in). They do great work, but Grizzly won't custom load the Lott anymore. Not cost effective. They also load some 458WinMag stuff that is as accurate as anything I have ever used. Words of praise for Mike Rintoul do not do his ammo justice. If I can dig it up, I'll try to post my last 200yd target...
Great story...a work acquaintance had some duty in Alaska (we work for MDA) and won the Lott in a raffle for $25.00. He was afraid to shoot it, so I bought it. Got a GREAT deal.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2008 at 22:14
Tahqua, much obliged. That is EXACTLY what I was looking for front fiber optic and a peep. OUTSTANDING.
tahqua View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2008 at 10:03
I'm glad it helped. I have a #1 in 45-70 and with heavy hand loads kicks hard. Your .458 has to be obnoxious. You squeeze the trigger.........boom, pain, smile!

Doug
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2008 at 12:07
Truthfully, the reason I bought is because after the guy who won it told me about it and that he was going to sell, I saw an advertisement for .458 Lott that said "guaranteed to knock down anything that walks on the planet."  I HAD to have it.  Recoil is OK, as long as you are aware of what it CAN do to you.  I will never forget again.  The 350gr Grizzly ammo is fantastic and I may someday have a reason, Africa hunt, to use the Hornady Cape Buffalo ammo.  A friend calls it my shoulder-fired anti-tank weapon. 
Dan
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/10/2008 at 09:12
I've been trying to post my first target using the .458WinMag ammo (2300fps/4070ftlbME) with open sights. However, it appears I have a few more posts to go before I will be able to insert a picture.
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/10/2008 at 13:25
Originally posted by pyro6999 pyro6999 wrote:

i'll allow it

OH, THANK YOU!!!   Bow
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/10/2008 at 13:26
Originally posted by Kickboxer Kickboxer wrote:

I've been trying to post my first target using the .458WinMag ammo (2300fps/4070ftlbME) with open sights. However, it appears I have a few more posts to go before I will be able to insert a picture.

umm....maybe Pyro will allow it................!
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/10/2008 at 13:28
email it to somebody who can is all i can offer you there
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/12/2008 at 19:39
Originally posted by RONK RONK wrote:

Anybody who can shoot a .458 Lott that well deserves any help we can offer!
 What sort of bullets you running through that beast?

I just read, today, an article in Shooting Times on rifle accuracy, specifically "big bores".  Appears .1in 3rnd groups at 100yds is not uncommon and is, in fact, expected.  According to ST, sub-MOA is pretty normal for the big guns.  I thought I was doing pretty well, now not as happy with myself.  Always more to learn. 

tahqua View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/12/2008 at 19:54
I've got the pics and as soon as I can get on a decent machine around here I'll take care of it...... teenagers!. If not I'll do it at lunch from work tomorrow.

Doug
tahqua View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/13/2008 at 10:08
Here you go, I'll let Dan give the explanation.
That is some mighty fine shooting with a heavy kicker, BTW

Edited by tahqua - May/17/2008 at 19:18
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/16/2008 at 15:56
Hmmm. came to explain and photo is gone...
I am on travel and have not had much online time.  Don't get home until late tonight.
tahqua View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2008 at 08:38

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic