OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Which Leupold

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Which Leupold
    Posted: May/07/2008 at 07:43
Yes, I have become one of the Leupold fanatics, mainly because of their wide selection of scopes and their warranty.  I have a bid on a Wby. Vanguard Custom rifle with a black and silver laminate stock with a ss action and barrel in a 257 Wby. magnum.  Beautiful rifle.  I definitely want a 40 mm. objective, no greater, period.  I have looked and looked for a quality scope at a reasonable price and found a Leupold VX-III 4.5-14 40mm in a gun metal gray limited edition for 502 dollars.  The AO version is a little bit more, but only comes in matte.  A silver version without AO is 502 or maybe less, but I think the gun metal gray would complement the stock and ss tremendously.  The power is perfect as the 257 can reach out and touch anything with residual energy.  The 2.5x10 is cheaper, but does not come in the gun metal gray.  My question is, is the extra money worth it for the AO, although it is less than 50 dollars and my feeling, it is just something else to go wrong, especially when it is only 50 dollars more?  Second, I would rather buy from SWFA, but I am embarrassed to ask them to discount that much.  The competitor is a highly regarded seller, but you register and you ask for their quote and they e-mail you back their price.  Any thoughts.
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2008 at 08:03
image resolution and clarity will be better without the ao, as there is one less lens system to degrade the image- so for all around use.
Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2008 at 08:13
Thanks DC, that was also my thinking.
mercenary1947 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mercenary1947 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2008 at 08:27
 I don't know man .... the parallax adjustment is great on a variable especially if you are shooting long and multiple ranges . Scopes usually have their parallax correction fixed at some distance like 100 yards.... any distances different and you get off target hits . If you don't place your sighting eye at the same place each time you look through the scope, the reticle will appear to move just a little, in relation to the target. That's going to move the strike of the bullet  too, and that means less accuracy! I've never heard of that part of the scope going wrong .... I think it's worth it ... depends on how accurate you want the scope . Without the availability your bullet could be off by as much as 2 inches or alot more depending .
 The resolution and clarity should'nt be worse if it's a descent scope .... never heard that one .... mine's clear as a bell .... Nikon Monarch .

Edited by mercenary1947 - May/07/2008 at 08:38
One Shot One Kill .... *S.O.F * Head Shots Only
               SWFAM
Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2008 at 09:09
Well, I went with the non AO version in gun metal gray from SWFA.  Mercenary, I understand your reasoning quite well and DC's also, but that gun metal gray was just to sweet to pass by.  I may not be a F class shooter, I guess I could be if I tried, but I am a pretty good marksman and am not too worried about that.  If and I hope I win the bid on that rifle, it will match the rifle perfectly.  By the way, SWFA's price was not unreasonable, considering the free goodies and the fact the competitor was going to charge shipping.  The other thing, I would have gone with my favorite scope of all time, the Trijicon, but I wanted more power than the 9x in a 40 mm. objective.
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mercenary1947 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2008 at 09:14
 What if your bid does'nt win ? You went ahead and bought the scope ? I wish you all the luck in the world on it .   Thunbs%20Up
               SWFAM
9-point View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9-point Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2008 at 12:18
I bought that same scope for my 300 win mag. with the b/c reticle I looked at the gun metal style, it looks really good in the catalog and online but when I actually had it in my hands and beside my rifle it didnt look quite as good as I thought it would. The guy at the counter said that Leupold made that style for a certain rifle,cant remember which, but its a excellent scope and I hope you like it
Its better to be judged by twelve than carried by six
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2008 at 12:25
Originally posted by Dolphin Dolphin wrote:

Well, I went with the non AO version in gun metal gray from SWFA.  Mercenary, I understand your reasoning quite well and DC's also, but that gun metal gray was just to sweet to pass by.  I may not be a F class shooter, I guess I could be if I tried, but I am a pretty good marksman and am not too worried about that.  If and I hope I win the bid on that rifle, it will match the rifle perfectly.  By the way, SWFA's price was not unreasonable, considering the free goodies and the fact the competitor was going to charge shipping.  The other thing, I would have gone with my favorite scope of all time, the Trijicon, but I wanted more power than the 9x in a 40 mm. objective.

You can special order the 4.5-14x40 AO in gunmetal gray. It would be the price your paying + the custom shop cost which is under $200.00 if memory servers me. I was going to do the same thing a couple of years back with the same scope but in silver. The turn around time would be a few weeks. The problem is now your paying for a $700.00 scope.

What reticle did you choose?
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/12/2008 at 07:17
Standard duplex.  Did not have the cash to order a custom finish on the AO model.  By the way, I did win the bid on the gun and it arrives tomorrow at my FFL's location.
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mercenary1947 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/12/2008 at 13:58

Standard duplex.  Did not have the cash to order a custom finish on the AO model.  By the way, I did win the bid on the gun and it arrives tomorrow at my FFL's location.

GREAT brother ! Glad you won .....       I'm sure you're a very happy man  .
               SWFAM
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/12/2008 at 15:49
Dolphin, I think your on the right track with a 4.5-14 on fast .25, I wouldn't change any thing, swhould be just great.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/12/2008 at 18:07
Thanks.  I just put on the Weaver Polar caps, even though I got free screw on caps and an eye guard.  The Weavers are much better than the Butler Creek products.  Every time I put the BCs on, they keep flipping up without hitting the button.
Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/12/2008 at 18:09
Originally posted by mercenary1947 mercenary1947 wrote:

GREAT brother ! Glad you won .....       I'm sure you're a very happy man  .
 Looking forward to picking it up this Friday, mounting the scope with Warne bases and QD rings and loading some Wby. brass with 117 Sierra GKs.
Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/12/2008 at 18:11
Originally posted by mike650 mike650 wrote:

You can special order the 4.5-14x40 AO in gunmetal gray. It would be the price your paying + the custom shop cost which is under $200.00 if memory servers me. I was going to do the same thing a couple of years back with the same scope but in silver. The turn around time would be a few weeks. The problem is now your paying for a $700.00 scope.

What reticle did you choose?
 Oh, and one more thing I did not like about the AO model, was the larger objective diameter, so I can even mount it closer to the rifle.
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/13/2008 at 10:18
[/QUOTE]
  mounting the scope with Warne bases and QD rings [/QUOTE]

I am shockedWink
I am looking forward to pics of your new rig. The gray scope should look real nice. I have an M77 in gun metal gray...........hmmm

Doug
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/13/2008 at 10:37
Originally posted by tahqua tahqua wrote:

[/QUOT
  mounting the scope with Warne bases and QD rings [/QUOTE]

I am shockedWink
I am looking forward to pics of your new rig. The gray scope should look real nice. I have an M77 in gun metal gray...........hmmm

Doug
[/QUOTE]

Please post pics when your done!!!

Looker
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/14/2008 at 07:06

Will post them this weekend with a good digital SLR.

Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/15/2008 at 01:37
LEU56140 Leupold%204.5-14x40%20Mark%204%20LR/T%2030mm%20Riflescope%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20 Leupold 4.5-14x40 Mark 4 LR/T 30mm Riflescope
  • Matte
  • Duplex
  • 30mm
  • Long Range
  • Side Focus
  • Target Knobs
SWFA: $674.95
More%20Info...
http://www.kentonindustries.com/ Using Kenton Ind Speed dial
SPEED DIAL " src="http://www.kentonindustries.com/pics/picbytype/Vari-XIIISpeedDial.jpg">
Yardage format: SPEED DIAL
Featured on "Best of the west"

The SPEED DIAL has extra large 100 yard increments with clear, distinctive 50 yard hash marks, and 25 Yard marks starting at the midrange of your cartridge. This format provides up to one revolution of marked yardage increments. The maximum marked yardage will vary based on caliber.

Any fixed or variable magnification Leupold VXII, VXIII, Vari-X III, Tactical, or Mark 4 P.R. scope equipped with dust covered 7/8in. tall target dials.

Available 04-15-08 will be "Zero Stop" knobs which prevent the knob from dialing below your sight-in/zero range.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/15/2008 at 16:38
Tagged for pics!!
Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/16/2008 at 07:11
Rifle in, picked it up yesterday.  Partner stuck in Lebanon.  On call today.  Maybe get it set up tomorrow.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic