OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Mounts & Accessories > Rings and bases
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

weaver rings

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kid from Sweden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: weaver rings
    Posted: May/06/2008 at 12:56

Hi!

I decided to try a weaver mount one one of my guns. But I never had this before, and theres a lot of rings to choose fromWhackoI read some about burris signature zee rings, good or bad? The recoil of the rifle wont be a problem,22Lr, but I want quality anyway. Might even go with some tactical rings, just for the look of itWink

So, any ideas to a hopless nobie??
RONK View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/06/2008 at 17:10
 There is some Burris chatter in this thread-http://www.opticstalk.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=10971&KW=&PID=97824#97824
 edited to add: sorry about the cold link, I can't make it go hot.

Anyway, Weaver style bases are good, and quite versatile. Some guys don't think Weaver rings hold very well, but I've never seen one slip, even on hard kickers. The rings with the flat strap that hooks into one side of the ring, wraps over the tube and clamps the tube down with two screws on the other side of the ring are a bit of a pain to mount, as the scope tends to roll a little as you tighten the screws. Trial and error to learn to pre-roll the tube in the other direction will get it done though.
 They are certainly plenty solid for a .22, and economically priced.
 Burris Signature Rings are great, but the Burris Signature ZEE rings need to be slightly re-designed by someone who is NOT an idiot.

Edited by RONK - May/06/2008 at 18:04
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/11/2008 at 12:33
Originally posted by RONK RONK wrote:

There is some Burris chatter in this thread-http://www.opticstalk.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=10971&KW=&PID=97824#97824
 edited to add: sorry about the cold link, I can't make it go hot.

Anyway, Weaver style bases are good, and quite versatile. Some guys don't think Weaver rings hold very well, but I've never seen one slip, even on hard kickers. The rings with the flat strap that hooks into one side of the ring, wraps over the tube and clamps the tube down with two screws on the other side of the ring are a bit of a pain to mount, as the scope tends to roll a little as you tighten the screws. Trial and error to learn to pre-roll the tube in the other direction will get it done though.
 They are certainly plenty solid for a .22, and economically priced.
 Burris Signature Rings are great, but the Burris Signature ZEE rings need to be slightly re-designed by someone who is NOT an idiot.

Zee rings are not solid mounts at all. Mine tipped over on a springer air rifle. There is not much clamping area and Ron is right on.
Weavers are ugly but very strong. My .375 H&H had them on for several years before switching to a new scope. They are also reasonably priced. If needed they return to zero fairly well as a detachable.
Kid from Sweden View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kid from Sweden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/13/2008 at 09:10
hm, then what kind of rings should I pick? maybe something tactical? leupold mark 4? ideas
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/13/2008 at 17:14
 You will be spending a lot of money on a set of tactical-quality rings, the designed purpose of which is extreme ruggedness under abusive handling.  If your rifle and scope are to be used in such a manner, such rings are appropriate and useful.    And if it is only for "looks" that you purchase them, you will get no argument from me, either.  It is your money.
  I think the Warne  Weaver style or the Leupold PRW rings are a good compromise of reasonable price and quality manufacture.  They look nice, too. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic