OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

pad removal

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: pad removal
    Posted: May/06/2008 at 06:09
Do any of you "pros" have an idea on how to remove the butt pad from a Sako 75? There are no apparent screws, and it doesn't seem to want to twist off a base. Might it be glued on? Many thanks for any suggestions.
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/06/2008 at 06:33
No, I don't.  Sounds like a gunsmith visit to me.     Smile     --Ed
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/06/2008 at 09:11
If it is epoxied try taking the stock off and freezing it over night in the freezer and then take a puddy knife and a hammer and place the puddy knife between the end of the stock and the plastic of the pad and gently tap it off.  It should pop right off if it is glued on.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/06/2008 at 10:14
BugsNbows,  
I just went through this with a Rem 700 VLS.  I thought I had ruined my stock.  I did what Jason said and it came off smooth as glass.  It may sound crazy but it works great.

BTW: Thanks again Jason!!!!Thunbs%20Up
"Don't argue with a fool! From a distance you can't really tell who's who!"
RONK View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/06/2008 at 11:30
 Be certain that there aren't screws in it, first.  If a pro installed it with screws, and slit the pad before drilling, you won't see the holes without poking around to find them, especially if he glued them shut after installation. (Not real common, but I have seen it.)
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/06/2008 at 15:49
I agree with Ronk, just because you can't see the screw holes doesn't mean there aren't screws recessed in the pad.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/06/2008 at 17:34
I sold my M75 a few years ago, but if IIRC the pad was held on by screws......Whatever 
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2008 at 05:54
Thanks for the suggestions.
bNb
               Anomymous
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/10/2008 at 05:53
UPDATE: I took the stock with pad to a local "gunsmith". As I suspected, he had no clue. He did say that being factory applied it is likely screwed on. But, I'm telling you there is absolutely no evidence of screws, slits for screws, etc. I have e-mailed Beretta / Sako but have not received a reply back. Before I do the freezing thing I want to exhaust all options. BTW, it's a wooden stock. Not sure I should dump it into the deep freeze overnight. I can't believe nobody else has ever had similar questions.
               Anomymous
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/10/2008 at 08:22
i put a limbsaver on a rifle a few months ago, and there wasnt any evidence of screws hold it on either, but i took a screwdriver and started poking around on the butt pad looking for spots in the middle of pad that were mushy, one on tip in the middle and one on the bottom in the middle and the made the factory pad in such a way that the screw holes were completly covered, this was on a browning, once you poke through the soft material with the screw driver you can get the screws out, now whether or not this will help you is another story
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/10/2008 at 11:08
bugs, FWIW, I think the pad must be glued on, as I see no evidence of screw slits on the pads of either my 1980's model Sako or my M75's.  Even with buttpads whose screw holes are well concealed, it's generally not hard to find the slits for the screws cut in the pad by poking around with a screwdriver a little.  If the Sako pads do have screws, they do an awfully good job of concealing them.  Perhaps they heat up the rubber to melt the slits closed?...

I've just never replaced a pad on a Sako before.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/10/2008 at 11:54
im thinking that is what browning did with there pads
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/10/2008 at 12:29
I e-mailed a Sako competent gunsmith that I know of down in Ft. Pierce  Fla. He has advised me that the pads are screwed on. Just like Pyro said, take a phillips screwdriver, lube it up and poke around until the screw channels are felt. How about that. Learn something every day. I'll be dogged.
               Anomymous
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/10/2008 at 13:17
yes, those Sako pads are made out of petrified granite............and then they harden them in the Sahara Desert.  You may need a backhoe...........
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/10/2008 at 13:24
Originally posted by bugsNbows bugsNbows wrote:

I e-mailed a Sako competent gunsmith that I know of down in Ft. Pierce  Fla. He has advised me that the pads are screwed on. Just like Pyro said, take a phillips screwdriver, lube it up and poke around until the screw channels are felt. How about that. Learn something every day. I'll be dogged.

dammit i better go buy a lottery ticket today!!
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/11/2008 at 05:21
The saga continues... being the stubborn idiot that I am, I decided to follow the smith's advice. Well, NO screws! After probing around for about 30 minutes (and not feeling anything) I cut the red buttpad off. There are two stud posts and it is glued on. I e-mailed the smith back (with my findings) but never got a reply. Imagine that. Later today I'll try to get the studs out so that I can proceed to shorten the stock by about 1/4 inch. Then I'll set about putting the new pad on. My main intent was to slightly reduce the LOP and get somewhat better recoil suppression. The stock pad was hard as a rock. What an endeavor. You think I'd learn. Guess not. 
               Anomymous
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/11/2008 at 07:10
     Hey bNb,could you get a better but thinner recoil pad instead of cutting your stock?

til later
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/11/2008 at 12:08
Originally posted by bugsNbows bugsNbows wrote:

The saga continues... being the stubborn idiot that I am, I decided to follow the smith's advice. Well, NO screws! After probing around for about 30 minutes (and not feeling anything) I cut the red buttpad off. There are two stud posts and it is glued on. I e-mailed the smith back (with my findings) but never got a reply. Imagine that. Later today I'll try to get the studs out so that I can proceed to shorten the stock by about 1/4 inch. Then I'll set about putting the new pad on. My main intent was to slightly reduce the LOP and get somewhat better recoil suppression. The stock pad was hard as a rock. What an endeavor. You think I'd learn. Guess not. 

bNb, I certainly wouldn't trust that smith from this point forward.  I have little respect and patience with someone who would rather give you b.s. when they don't know what the hell they're talking about than simply say "I don't know, but I'll find out and get back to you." 
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/11/2008 at 12:53
Ted, that is certainly the truth. He WAS highly regarded. Anyway, I did manage to get the stud posts out, but it wasn't easy. They are 1 inch long and obviously projected into the stock quite a ways. 300 S & W, I already have a grind to fit Limbsaver pad that I wanted to try. All my others have always been Decelerators. Anyway, I apologize for dragging this out. I just thought the info may be of some benefit to somebody in the future. 
               Anomymous
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/11/2008 at 15:39
Maybe you could lengthen your neck...............Get%20Your%20Popcorn%20Ready
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic