OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Handgun Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Is it Possible to...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sscoyote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Is it Possible to...
    Posted: May/06/2008 at 02:27
...shorten the eye relief on a scope? I'm thinking about the Burris 3-12X LER. The eye relief is set up for silhouette shooters making it too long for hunters/shooters when using it from the prone position, especially off a bipod.
Steve
Big Squeeze View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/06/2008 at 16:52
Originally posted by sscoyote sscoyote wrote:

...shorten the eye relief on a scope? I'm thinking about the Burris 3-12X LER. The eye relief is set up for silhouette shooters making it too long for hunters/shooters when using it from the prone position, especially off a bipod.
..................I am not familiar with that particular Burris for handgun use and not sure if the eye relief can be shortened................. However,  I am very familiar with another scope, that you also should consider, because its eye relief to get the best FOV`s, can be quickly adjusted by the quick or fast focus eye piece, regardless of where the magnification is set on. I have two of these identical scopes, one I use as a scout scope on my 300 WSM Ruger Frontier and the other on my hunting revolver.............It is the Nikon Monarch UCC EER 2.5-8x28!...........A very good article on this scope is now at shootingtimes.com. Click on "optics" and then scroll down or turn the page as needed to the title "Dual Purpose Optics from Nikon" by Dick Metcalf. At the time of that written article, he says that this Nikon is the only handgun scope on the market with a fast focus eye piece that adjusts to the proper eye relief, which in turn, makes it a great dual purpose scout rifle scope and revolver scope as well........After reading that, I decided to get one last year and now just got another, so I wouldn`t have to switch back and forth anymore............That scope was selling for $289 by every distributor. It is now at SWFA for $189 while they last!! Alot less than the 3x12 Burris. Optics on this Nikon scope are wonderful, clear and bright. If I remember correctly, the eye relief set on the 2.5x is 12" to 30" and 9" to 30" set on 8x............Seems to me that because of its fast focus eye piece, adjusting for eye relief, which the Burris may not have, this Nikon just may be the better choice here for your needs!!!.............That article will give you some very good in-sight!.......................    
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/06/2008 at 17:06
Correction!..........Set on 8x, the eye relief is 9" to 13" not 9" to 30"..............
sscoyote View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sscoyote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2008 at 18:52
Thks. man. I'm gonna call Wally Siebert in WA tho. He may be able to help me. I need the higher power for long-range shooting.
Steve
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2008 at 22:01
Originally posted by sscoyote sscoyote wrote:

Thks. man. I'm gonna call Wally Siebert in WA tho. He may be able to help me. I need the higher power for long-range shooting.
..............A HIGHER power than 8 on a revolver???? Some scopes on rifles are not as high as 8x!!!!!!
mercenary1947 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mercenary1947 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/09/2008 at 11:57
 How long's the barrel on that revolver .... maybe he's shooting flies ... must be a heck of an accurate handgun for loooooong distances !
One Shot One Kill .... *S.O.F * Head Shots Only
               SWFAM
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/09/2008 at 12:46
Originally posted by mercenary1947 mercenary1947 wrote:

How long's the barrel on that revolver .... maybe he's shooting flies ... must be a heck of an accurate handgun for loooooong distances !
.......................OR!......He may be a tryin to castrate a fly at 100 yards!!!!........Laugh...................Roll%20on%20Floor%20Laughing 
sscoyote View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sscoyote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/09/2008 at 15:56
We're into the long-range specialty pistols--not revolvers guys. This is the kind of stuff we're into--

A lot of guys don't know what these custom bolt/falling block style handguns are capable of, but Eric Wallace just beat all the 1000 yd. rifle boys at a comp. in Montana with a 9.something inch gp. with a custom specialty pistol.

Edited by sscoyote - May/09/2008 at 16:02
Steve
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic