OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

30mm vx 1" tube

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muleymaddness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 30mm vx 1" tube
    Posted: May/04/2008 at 22:06

Has anyone ever compared a VX III 4.5-14x40 1" tube with a VX III 4.5-14x40 30mm tube?  Or had the same type comparison?  I was just wondering if the 30mm made a difference in both clarity and light gathering?

Thanks

HuntMaster View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HuntMaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2008 at 22:47
Originally posted by muleymaddness muleymaddness wrote:

just wondering if the 30mm made a difference in both clarity and light gathering?

Thanks

No- the scope with the 30mm tube should simply have more windage and elevation adjustment. Nice scope though.
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2008 at 23:48
muley, welcome to OT first off. Lots of talk in the past about the 30mm vs 1' stuff. Check the "FAQ" section for the history.

Roy
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/2008 at 07:53
I'll take more windage and elevation for 500 Alex. 
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
rkingston View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rkingston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/2008 at 08:14
To answer the question, YES, I have compared the two Leupolds side by side. Optically they are the same. I can see no difference in them regarding clarity or light gathering ability. As stated before, elevation will be more with the 30mm tube. Don't know if its still true or not but I was told the Leupolds used to have the same exact internals whether they were 30mm or 1 inch tubes. IMO 30s with 50mm objectives or larger do look aesthetically better than their 1 inch counterparts with large objectives.
RK
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/2008 at 17:15
Originally posted by rkingston rkingston wrote:

To answer the question, YES, I have compared the two Leupolds side by side. Optically they are the same. I can see no difference in them regarding clarity or light gathering ability. As stated before, elevation will be more with the 30mm tube. Don't know if its still true or not but I was told the Leupolds used to have the same exact internals whether they were 30mm or 1 inch tubes. IMO 30s with 50mm objectives or larger do look aesthetically better than their 1 inch counterparts with large objectives.
RK

Yes, Leupold got caught with their hand in the cookie jar a few years ago when America's Optics Authority came out with a New Leupold innovation-------a 30mm tube!!! Well, it seems that some enterprising individual DISSECTED one of them and discovered that there was 1 inch internal lenses lurking inside there---NOT 30mm sized lenses!!  OOPS!!    Shocked

Well, Leupold did some World Class "spin doctoring" and then promptly renamed the little "Stepchild"  the Euro Model and announced to the world that it had 1 inch internals in a 30mm tube!!!  (We are still waiting with bated breath to learn the reasoning behind this whole excercise!!)            Bucky
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/2008 at 18:11
Spot on, gentlemen.

A little more wiggle room inside the tube, but not optical difference whatsoever.

ILya
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic