OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

First set up ... what do you think ????

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BCBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: First set up ... what do you think ????
    Posted: May/03/2008 at 21:25
i am new to firearms and hunting . i just got my firearms license in the mail about a week ago . ive been doing research and i have concluded that i am going to get a Savage Arms Model 116FCSS (30-06 Springfield) . for a scope im thinking of getting a Leupold VX-L 3.5-10x50mm . i am going to be hunting both Mulies and Whitetail with this gun along with the occasional Moose , Caribou , and Black Bear . i live in Vancouver BC , Canada so i think that this gun will be perfect . i was wondering if any of you experianced guys can help me out if you think i might be missing anything or i you have any suggestions ! im also thinking about shooting 165 grain hand-loads .
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2008 at 21:29
I think that should be a fine setup for your stated needs.  As far as loads go, I would try a bunch of different bullet weights and powder amounts until you find the one that works best in your rifle.  That is the beauty of rolling your own.  You can find exactly what your gun likes because every gun is different.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2008 at 08:53
I own a 30-06 and have hunted with it for years. It is an excellent all rounder. The scope will also serve you  well.  When you move up to the elk, black bear etc, consider going to 180 grainers.
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2008 at 12:23
I agree with 8shots, move to 180gr bullets for the large stuff, though not very popular on this sight, I personally see nothing wrong with the leupold scopes.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/2008 at 07:55
Nothing wrong with Leupold, except the glass for the duckage.
Good setup there, I too own a couple of Leupolds, I like them. I'd love them for less MOOLAH though.

Edited by cyborg - May/05/2008 at 07:56
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
mercenary1947 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mercenary1947 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/2008 at 12:52
 Yep .... I don't think most know all the variable bullet grain weights and possible loads 30-06 gives you 8 shots .  About the most versatile caliber out there . Would'nt leave home without one . They range from the 55 grain/223 caliber accelerator to the 220 grain Bear  thumper . BUCU weight variables . You're gonna love that 30-06 .... BCBoy  ! This chart comes from GUNS and AMMO so you know you can trust it ! For some reason they did'nt add the 220 grain Remington .... I put it at the bottom ....  Wink

Here's a great link for a ballistics chart for your rifle =

AMMUNITION BALLISTICS FOR: .30-06

VELOCITY

ENERGY

TRAJECTORY

CARTRIDGE

BULLET MFG.

WT.

TYPE

MUZZ.

100 YDS.

200 YDS.

300 YDS.

400 YDS.

500 YDS.

MUZZ.

100 YDS.

200 YDS.

300 YDS.

400 YDS.

500 YDS.

100 YDS.

300 YDS.

400 YDS.

500 YDS.

30-06

(R)

ACEl

+0.7

(L)

FMJ

+1.8

(S)

SP

+1.5

(R)

SP

+2.5

(W)

FMJ

+1.5

(S)

One Shot One Kill .... *S.O.F * Head Shots Only
               SWFAM
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mercenary1947 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/2008 at 13:17

I guess ya need this to determine manufacturer for the letters at the beginning of the chart.... I'd copy and save and print them BCBoy .... may come in handy .

Manufacturers: (A) = Aguila; (A2) = A Square; (B) = Weatherby; (BH) Black Hills; (C) = CCI/Speer; CB = Cor-Bon; (D) = Dakota; E = (Eley); (F) = Federal; (Fi) = Fiocchi; (H) = Hornady; (Hi)= Hirtenberger; (K) = Kynoch; (L) = Lapua; (La) = Lazzeroni; (MT) = Magtech; (N) = Norma; (P) = PMC & PMC-Eldorado; (R) = Remington; (RWS) = RWS; (W) = Winchester; (S) = Standard - Made to same ballistic specifications by two or more manufacturers; (SB) = Sellier & Bellot; (U) = Ultramax

SWFAM
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/2008 at 18:26
I found that with Savage stock configuration, I generally prefer a scope I can mount a little lower, so VX-L is probably a good idea if you want a larger objective lens.

Personally, I like thicker reticles (easier target acquisition in low light) and, for the same money, I would probably look at Kahles KX 3-9x42 with 4a reticle.

Another consideration is if you plan to be in wet conditions a lot, a scope with hydrophobic coatings is a good idea.  In that case, I would look at either Bushnell Elite 4200 2.5-10x40 or Sightron S2 Big Sky 3-9x42.

ILya
BCBoy View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BCBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/2008 at 18:50
thank you guys for all of your input ... it is greatly appreciated !!! especially from Koshkin because i will be hunting a lot of coastal rainforest and mercenary1974 because i knew my gun was versitile but i had no clue that there are that many different ballistics ! the reason i was thinking about going with the 165 grain hand-load is because of the location that i live . if i go a few hours east i can hunt grizzly , black bear , mulies , whitetail , dall's sheep , mountain goats , cougar , and even little blacktail . and i i go a few hours north i can hunt all of the above plus elk , moose , bison , and caribou ! as many of you probably know there is a very high concentration of bears and cougar here so if im hunting deer and i run into an angry bear i need to be able to protect myself !i would carry a hand gun but here in canada you cannot bring a hand gun with you into the bush even if its for predator protection !
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mercenary1947 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/2008 at 19:24
 Where'd you say you lived " PARADISE "  !!!!!!   Yikes    My wife would never see me .... of course that may make her happy . I guess you do realize how fabulous your area is .... Hunter Heaven . Jealous is'nt the word .... I feel like a kid that did'nt get anything for Xmas ....  Baby
               SWFAM
BCBoy View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BCBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/2008 at 19:48
yeah it is pretty amazing here . i am an avid fisherman as well and there is everything ive ever liked here ! there are mountains , there is a desert just over the mountains , and there is endless forest up north ! i live right on the ocean here . i can fish for any of the 5 types of salmon in either the ocean or rivers . i can fish steelhead , rainbows , cutties , browns , brookies , dollies , bull trout , and kokanee all within a few hours of my house ! but if ocean fishing is your thing you can fish salmon , a bunch of different types of cod , flounder , and halibut once again only a few hours away ! i truely do live in an outdoorsmans paradise and i am very greatfull of it !!!Big%20Smile
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mercenary1947 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/06/2008 at 23:09
Camper   I'm moving ..... the hunting advantages were enough to make me feel like my area sucks big time .... now the fishing !  Plus I think after this next election I won't be able to stand 8 years of any of the candidates as president .... everytime I see all 3 of them i get this feeling ..........  Pukers   man we're in for it ..... yea McCain sucks too ! He changes his mind any way the wind blows ..... both parties Blow this year .
               SWFAM
BCBoy View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BCBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2008 at 00:00
yeah im not following the election down in the states . even though it probably will effect me somehow up here in canada . i just cant stand any polititions no matter where they are ! theyre all a bunch of lying sons of bitchs (pardon the language) . and none of them care about the outdoors or the people who enjoy and care for them the most . its all about big business now . but enough of that . do any of you have any interesting hunts/outdoor adventures planned for the upcoming season ?
BCBoy View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BCBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2008 at 19:06
ive made up my mind with what scope i am going to get ! im going to get the Bushnell Elite 4200 2.5-10x40mm. ... it seems like a good scope . can anyone tell me anything that i will need to know about it ? any likes or dislikes will be much appreciated . thanks all !!!
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2008 at 19:08
If you get the 4200 3-9x40 you will save a nice chunk of change and have a scope that is just as good.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2008 at 19:14
Originally posted by supertool73 supertool73 wrote:

If you get the 4200 3-9x40 you will save a nice chunk of change and have a scope that is just as good.
+1
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
BCBoy View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BCBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2008 at 19:55
thats one of the big reasons i decided to change from the leupold to the bushnell !
“There is a passion for hunting something deeply implanted in the human breast.”

Charles Dickens
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2008 at 19:57
The 3-9x is cheaper because it is a 3x erector instead of a 4x erector in the 2.5-10x.  But optically it is just as good.  

Countryscape View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Countryscape Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2008 at 00:52
BC Boy,

If your new to the hunting /shooting scene, you've chosen an outstanding  caliber in the 30.06 for hunting all the species you've mentioned. It is as good of cartridge when shooting under 300 yards as you could ask for. While its fun and very satisfying to hand load your own, you might want to start out shooting factory ammo to begin with. Ammunition for this caliber is inexpensive and shooting something like the remington coreloke (which is also a very good hunting bullet) will be fairly accurate to build your confidence in learning to shoot. While hand loads will require lots of experimentation to obtain the best speed and accuracy,  knowing both you and your rifle is capable throughout the process will not let you become discouraged.

My 30.06 really likes the 165 grains and while I've killed elk with this bullet, advise by others to use the 180 grain bullet for bigger game is a good idea. I think you'll like the bushnell (with the rain guard) but I'd still get familar with using good lens caps that flip back.

Also, reticles can vary from one scope to another and if you have the opportunity to look through different models at a retail sporting good, your eyes might find one particular reticle easier to bring up and sight. I live in the wet Oregon climate and have a love affair with big, gray faced blacktails. The heavier duplex has always been my choice of reticle in those conditions.

Good luck with your new rifle and in your hunting adventures. Truely nothing I know is more challenging and satisfying.
jonbravado View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonbravado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2008 at 08:02
my 30.06 loves 165 Grn Hornaday BTSP - it's a great all around bullet, excellent for paper AND meat. It has LOTS of knockdown power at 300 and 400 yrds still. and completely lethal at shorter ranges.

great setup - you'll love the scope and gun

J
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic