OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Pictures VX-L Illuminated B&C

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pictures VX-L Illuminated B&C
    Posted: May/03/2008 at 20:15
Just got this Leupold 4.5-14x56 VX-L illuminated Boone & Crockett.  It's different looking; I'll probably mount it on this Sako 85 which has a weird futuristic stock.  Made for each other, ha ha.  Anyway, Leupold calls the reticle '2nd generation' and is suppose to be brighter - it looks it - it's certainly bigger than the illuminated duplex in the VX-111.  It's suppose to be able to be seen in sunny daylight conditions.  On the lowest setting (1-11 settings) it's very very dim, not too bright for low light conditions.  EDITED: For Spelling

Here's the VX-L on the highest setting:

Here's a 3.5-10 VX-111 illuminated duplex on the highest setting:

Here's a couple of pictures of the VX-L next to the VX-111:

Edited by timber - May/03/2008 at 20:17
RONK View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2008 at 21:44
 Cool pics!
 Thanks for sharing!
 I mounted a VX-L 4.5-14x 50 on a friend's rifle and was impressed with the brightness and resolution. His wasn't illuminated though, and your pics are the first I've seen of the illuminated reticle.  It's good they set it up to be very dim at the lowest setting, that is a shortcoming of many lit reticle systems -they're just too bright for some conditions!
 The coped-out objective is wierd-looking at first, but not so much when it is mounted on a rifle. It does what it was intended to do though, and that is its' real beauty.
 If you want a large objective mounted low, there are simply no other options.
timber View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2008 at 23:21
EDITED: For spelling.

Thanks RONK.  I think they did a good job with the brightness range.  IMO the lowest setting is so dim it might be able to be used after dark.  (It's too dim to photograph with my small Canon digital camera). 

In my area hunting hours are 30 mintues before Sunrise to 30 minutes after Sunset.  With the VX-111 I don't remember turning it down below #3.  The brightness range is #1- 11 with #11 being the brightest.  The brightest setting (#11) is not bright enough for sunny daylight conditions but this VX-L's 2nd generation might be - I haven't tested it yet to confirm.  Here's some close-up's of the adjustment knob and lithium battery/battery compartment:

This is my second VX-L.  I mounted (Talley's) a 6.5-20x56 VX-L with Varmint Hunter reticle on this Weatherby Mark V TRR in 223 and have been able to get less than 1" groupings at 200 yards - not too bad for me anyway.  I like the scope.  Here's a couple of pictures of the Weatherby:

Edited by timber - May/03/2008 at 23:36
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2008 at 06:45
Originally posted by RONK RONK wrote:

Cool pics!
 Thanks for sharing!
 I mounted a VX-L 4.5-14x 50 on a friend's rifle and was impressed with the brightness and resolution. His wasn't illuminated though, and your pics are the first I've seen of the illuminated reticle.  It's good they set it up to be very dim at the lowest setting, that is a shortcoming of many lit reticle systems -they're just too bright for some conditions!
 The coped-out objective is weird-looking at first, but not so much when it is mounted on a rifle. It does what it was intended to do though, and that is its' real beauty.

Ron, I too have seen two 4.5-14x50mm VX-L's mounted on acquaintances rifles that I thought were superb optically.
No lit reticles on them either though.

I agree too that once the VX-L are mounted on a rifle they don't look as weird or "wonky".  Wink  

Thanks for the excellent pics, Timber!!
Pics are VERY helpful to people on the forum.
Much appreciated
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2008 at 07:57

I hated to admit that the one I tried was as sharp as my IOR. (It should be, the price was comparable, I believe.)
Leupolds are kind of weird in that they seem to be a tiny bit darker than some of the competition in bright daylight, but they often seem brighter than the competition after it gets dark. I've noticed this a couple times, and was wondering if anybody else has too or if it was just my eyes playing tricks on me?
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2008 at 11:28
Originally posted by cheaptrick cheaptrick wrote:

Originally posted by RONK RONK wrote:

Cool pics!
 Thanks for sharing!
 The coped-out objective is weird-looking at first, but not so much when it is mounted on a rifle. It does what it was intended to do though, and that is its' real beauty.

Ron, I too have seen two 4.5-14x50mm VX-L's mounted on acquaintances rifles that I thought were superb optically.
No lit reticles on them either though.

I agree too that once the VX-L are mounted on a rifle they don't look as weird or "wonky".  Wink  

Thanks for the excellent pics, Timber!!
Pics are VERY helpful to people on the forum.
Much appreciated

The cost for all of this + illumination seems very reasonable to me. Big%20Smile
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2008 at 11:57
Nice pics, timber!  Thanks for posting.  The illumination control improvements are nice.  Scope manufacturers are beginning to realize that lit reticles are useful in daytime as well as low light.  Once it gets really dark, I assure you that the lowest setting will be visible.  If you hunt at night for predators and other non-game species (if legal where you live), you don't want the illumination to be any brighter than necessary to be seen, or it will hurt your night vision and overpower the view through the scope. 

I've never particularly cared for the appearance of the VX-L, but from what I've seen and from the comments of owners, it's supposedly very good optically.  I can see where it might not look so strange when mounted on a rifle, though.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
timber View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2008 at 18:52
I haven't tested it in daylight yet but I'm hoping it'll be bright enough to see.  My area does not allow night hunting but I'd think the lowest settings would work on the VX-111 or VX-L. 

The illuminated VX-L's are new for 2008.  Leupold also offers it in a #4 dot (if my memory serves) and a QDMA duplex version which is identical to the VX-111 duplex illuminated, just the name is different (I called Leupold on this).

Looks are subjective but the VX-L looks fine on the Weatherby and will probably look okay on my Sako 85.  On more traditional looking rifles like Winchester's or Remington's it might look out of place - but again it's a subjective thing. 

I've had good luck with the 6.5-20x56 VX-L on the Weatherby.  Only time will tell on this new one.  I can say they're bright but not on the same level as the best Swarovski, Zeiss, etc.

One note on the pictures.  I don't have a great camera and some are hand held.  If the crosshair appears off center (like I think the very first picture shows) or not straight it's just my photography - the reticle in person is fine.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic