OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Varmint Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Help w/ New Varmit Scope

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DogBuster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help w/ New Varmit Scope
    Posted: May/02/2008 at 20:49
It has been a while since I have used this site, but it seems just as usefull as when I left, so that is good.  I have surfed through a lot of forums, but I am still frusterated because I do not see a true winner as far as the "perfect" varmit scope for my gun, aside from a $2k Swaro...

The gun and situation for the scope:  DPMS AR-15 .223 w/ 24" Bull barrell.  Looking for good varmit scope for up to 500 yards.  I am looking to spend no more than $800.00 to replace the Leo VX II 3x9 that I have frusteratingly had on her for the last two PD hunts. 

I welcome any help and opinions all are willing to give.

Thanks,

Dylan
"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.'"
Ronald Reagan
yellowdog View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yellowdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2008 at 23:26
  Leupold VX III 4.5 x 14 x 40 A.O. with varmint hunters reticle. This reticle is great, & good to 500 yards when zero'ed at 200.
If you don't want to stand behind our troops, then we will gladly have you stand in front of them.
mercenary1947 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mercenary1947 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2008 at 01:03
 There's a long list for that amount .... really does'nt matter which rifle you put one on ... depends on the useage .. and requirements of your shots.  Believe me you don't need a $2,000.00 scope to shoot praire pups ... 500 yards .... I'd get enough magnification .... you don't want them looking like piss ants in the lens . Myself I would'nt go for less than 20x on the high end .... I may get thumped for that but when 500 yards or more ... just my opinion . Check the Nikons and Burris .... I prefer Nikons myself .
One Shot One Kill .... *S.O.F * Head Shots Only
               SWFAM
yellowdog View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yellowdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2008 at 02:12
Originally posted by mercenary1947 mercenary1947 wrote:

There's a long list for that amount .... really does'nt matter which rifle you put one on ... depends on the useage .. and requirements of your shots.  Believe me you don't need a $2,000.00 scope to shoot praire pups ... 500 yards .... I'd get enough magnification .... you don't want them looking like piss ants in the lens . Myself I would'nt go for less than 20x on the high end .... I may get thumped for that but when 500 yards or more ... just my opinion . Check the Nikons and Burris .... I prefer Nikons myself .
  For yote's though you often get close shots & that's when I prefer being able to get down to the 4.5 on the power. Also I've found that the 14 on the high end  is good enough for p.dogs sized targets out to  500yds, not the best, but it works good. No I haven't hit to many p.dogs out to 500, but I have shot at the gun range at these sized targets to see how well the reticle worked. Now if this were to be a p.dog rig only, then I would would say no brainer on getting the 20 to 25 glass. 

Edited by yellowdog - May/03/2008 at 06:41
If you don't want to stand behind our troops, then we will gladly have you stand in front of them.
DogBuster View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DogBuster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2008 at 15:32
I've had my hands on a Leupold 4.5-14x50 VX-III a number of times, but is it worth the $780.00 price tag? 
"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.'"
Ronald Reagan
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2008 at 16:00
not when you can buy this for almost the same price

this may be worth a shot too

Edited by pyro6999 - May/03/2008 at 16:05
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
DogBuster View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DogBuster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2008 at 16:06
I agree, but what's the deal w/ the reticle?  I really like the Varmit reticle or similar.  I am not a fan of the traditional duplex for dog hunting, wich will be the primary purpose of this set up.  When will Ziess inovate a reticle to match their fine glass?
Ronald Reagan
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2008 at 16:08
they have a mil dot and the z800 and z1000 reticles which are setup for ranges
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
DogBuster View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DogBuster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2008 at 16:17
OK.  Sell me on why http://www.swfa.com/pc-9798-259-zeiss-45-14x50-conquest-rifle-scope.aspx   would be better than a Leo.

I'm buying a scope this week and want to feel good about parting with a handfull of dough...

Thanks.
Ronald Reagan
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2008 at 16:21
to be honest with you i wouldnt buy either of them, i cant see spending $900 for a  varmint scope, i have a $100 3x9 on my varmint rifle, course i only use it for coyotes not pdogs
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2008 at 16:22
Because it is like you are looking through nothing instead of a tinted piece of cloudy glass which will be the case with the Leupold.  

Edited by supertool73 - May/03/2008 at 16:25
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
DogBuster View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DogBuster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2008 at 16:22
Is it worth the extra hundred $$$ over the Leo http://www.swfa.com/p-3501-leupold-45-14x50-vx-iii-30mm-riflescope.aspx  ? 
Ronald Reagan
DogBuster View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DogBuster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2008 at 16:26
Will the 1" tube be a serious disadvantage over 30mm.  I've heard both.
Ronald Reagan
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2008 at 16:28
only if you plan to hunt in lower light situations i give the conquest the nod in the glass quality, they are both good for cs dept's 30mm has more travel than the one inch, i have a hard time paying leupolds asking price for there scopes when i feel the scopes in there price range are better optically, the 4200 elite smokes the vxII and i feel that the conquest is one of a list of many scopes thats better than the vxIII, the vxIII to me is more on par with the 4200

Edited by pyro6999 - May/03/2008 at 16:31
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2008 at 16:28
Only as far as internal adjustment travel.  Zeiss scopes typically are lacking in the amount of internal adjustment range.  But if you are just going to use the reticle for holdover that will not be a concern to you.

Optically all else being equal a 30mm has no advantage over a 1 inch tube.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2008 at 16:29
In the case of a Zeiss vs. Leupold the Zeiss will have a clearer image than the 30mm Leupold.  They just use better glass and coatings and they give you a clearer and nicer picture.

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2008 at 16:41
im not a loopy fan they do have some intresting ideas and services but for the price i too feel like money is spent better on other scopes.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
DogBuster View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DogBuster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2008 at 16:50

Do any of you own a Ziess or have experience shooting through a Rapid Z 800? 

I really have been shooting for years, but I was either using crappy old scopes or military issue, but now that I am single I have a little more money to throw at toys.  I believe in "Buy cheap and buy twice," but I don't want to burn myself in the process, either.

I appreciate all the help so far.
Ronald Reagan
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2008 at 16:55
i know trigger29 has one and he lives in south dakota and he loves it
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2008 at 17:15
DogBuster,
I haven't used the Zeiss Rapid Z, but the Conquest is optically better than VX-III.  However, contrary to what some here claim, I don't think by a huge margin, IMHO.  Or, maybe I just have an exceptional VX-III, I don't know.   I think VX-III glass is a definite improvement over the previous Vari-X III, so it isn't like you're gonna be looking through a cloudy soft drink bottle.  I have a Leupy VX-III 6.5-20X40 LR 30mm with Varmint Hunters reticle, and I really like this scope.  To give you some perspective on what I have to compare it to, on a typical PD shoot, I also have rifles topped with a Swarovski PH 6-24X50, a Nightforce NXS 3.5-15X50, a NF 8-32X56, and an IOR 4-14X50 on the same trip, and although the Leupy isn't quite at the level of those scopes optically, it holds its own.   You typically aren't shooting prairie dogs in very low light conditions, and in my humble view as someone who shoots PD's a couple weekends a year, the right reticle is more important than superb optics.  In the middle of the day, the view through all scopes is compromised quite a bit by heavy mirage at mid to long distance anyway, and contrary to what some may think, I have found that 12-14X is all the magnification you need during most of the day, since more X than that is negated by the mirage.  I think the Leupy VH reticle is a great, yet simple reticle that works very well for PD shooting.  The Zeiss Rapid Z on paper looks very nice too, but having never used it, I can't comment on its usefulness.

I doubt you will be disappointed in either scope, but I wouldn't be swayed away from the Leupold due to optical reasons if you like the VH reticle as I do.  There's nothing wrong with the VX-III optically.  If it were me, I would probably get the Conquest with the Rapid Z reticle, only because I like the looks of the reticle and don't have one already.

Edited by RifleDude - May/03/2008 at 17:19
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic