OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Remington 700 Design Update

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Remington 700 Design Update
    Posted: May/02/2008 at 12:06

This might not be the appropriate category to post this but does anyone have any information about the future of the Remington 700?  With all the competitors updating or coming out with new designs you'd think remington would do the same, especially with new owners who appear aggressive.  One very reputable internet retailer is advertising the last of the 700 actions for sale.  I'm only speculating here but I wonder if we're do for an update in design?

8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2008 at 12:17
I just bought a 700. If it is anything like the cars I buy (or computers or cameras or whatever), no sooner do I buy the latest and greatest model, then WHAM!, they update it.
So yes, they will be updating it.
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2008 at 12:17
how about a three position safety for starters like the Remington 725 had.......?

How about a longer length of pull so some of us grown ups could shoot the rifle without our thumbs punching us in the nose??

supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2008 at 12:20
Originally posted by Ed Connelly Ed Connelly wrote:

how about a three position safety for starters like the Remington 725 had.......?

Ah Ed, I should crotch kick you for saying that.  Three position safeties blow the big one.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2008 at 12:38
Why not just do away with the safety altogether!!!???    Bucky    

REMINGTON 700---IT'S ALWAYS READY!!!     
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2008 at 12:40
Now that is a fantastic idea, it would be just like a glock. Thinking
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2008 at 12:44
or a spear...........................!!!
Big Squeeze View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2008 at 13:05

or a spear...........................!!!
........................ED!SpeerA spear from Squeezer!...................Laugh
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2008 at 13:51
I don't know if this will ever make it's way onto the production 700's, however, Remington has modified their extractors on some of the LE versions of the 40X's and also 2 of the Custom Shop sporters slated to be released this year, the 40X Ti and 40X Hunter. The new extractor is basically a M-16 blade type with a repositioned ejector plunger. They have a new trigger also that is on 700's as we speak. I, for one, hope they don't try to redesign the 700 other than what they have already done. New and improved can also mean cheaper and phucked up these days. Look at the new Model 70, for instance. People are already saying the newly designed trigger is not as good as the original one, as far as simplicity is concerned.

Roy
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2008 at 14:38
I love the 3 position safety, but I guess thats a personal thing,  I'd like  remington to do something new to the 25cal, something like a .25rsaum, something winchester should have done instead of the wssm.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2008 at 14:46
     Big Squeeze tests the new Remington 700  Heavy%20Recoilbut he soon discovers it only works if he puts it in his mouth!!Roll%20on%20Floor%20Laughing                             Get%20Your%20Popcorn%20Ready
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2008 at 16:16
FWIW, I'm with Ed. I like the 3 position safeties.
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2008 at 17:05
The only thing I would really like to see Remington change with the 700 is that lousy bolt stop design and go to a simpler, more positive button style bolt stop on the side of the receiver like most bolt action manufacturers use.  I HATE the cheapo sliding stamped metal piece attached to the trigger housing/pivoting blade arrangement they use!
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2008 at 17:11
I would be tickled with a owner adjustable trigger, that won't void the warrenty when you adjust it!Sharp%20ShooterA third sling stud would be nice too.
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
martin3175 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2008 at 17:44
With all the shake ups lately with Remington and ownership ---wouldn't doubt a new design, but I fear it may different ( AKA -cheaper) just for the sake of being different.
Sgt. D View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sgt. D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2008 at 18:55
Originally posted by BeltFed BeltFed wrote:

I would be tickled with a owner adjustable trigger, that won't void the warrenty when you adjust it!Sharp%20ShooterA third sling stud would be nice too.

a owner adjustable trigger  +2       That would certainly boost sales, But it would be insane to get too far from one of the most copied actions out there. I hope they don't mess that up. Whacko
If anybody has a used Rem 700 stainless long action (any cal.) I'm looking. I don't care if the barrel is bent, cut or busted as long as the action is good. 
Take care of Soldiers, Show em how its done and do it with em, Run to the Fight & and hold your ground! I die my men go home! If you're a NCO and this ain't you. GET OUT! GOD BLESS AMERICA!
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2008 at 21:48
Originally posted by supertoot73 supertoot73 wrote:

Ah Ed, I should crotch kick you for saying that.  Three position safeties blow the big one.
well you better line me up too supertoot, cause i too agree, i dont like the rem 2 pos safety, eventhough you can open and close the bolt with the safety on i prefer the m70 style as well.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2008 at 21:49
Originally posted by BeltFed BeltFed wrote:

ah to hell with the warranty crap just take it out and adjust it
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
timber View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2008 at 22:08

Whoa!  I wasn't expecting so much interest.  I really was wondering if somebody had heard or read something about new designs.  What I had in mind were changes like 3 lugs for a 60 degree bolt lift or even more radical ideas possible with CNC machining like integral scope bases.  Please don't get me wrong; I like the simplicity and strength of the present design.  But it seems like things are constantly evolving, hence my question.

Anyway I guess everybody is familar with the 700's history and mandate; a simple and inexpensively produced firearm.  At least that's my understanding.   But if I were to make a wish list number 1 would be a bolt lock and number 2 would be modifications for a smoother working bolt.  Number 3 would be a 60 degree bolt lift as long as the bolt retained the simplicity of the present bolt.  I like the new trigger and the stock dimensions of the CDL, XCR and Mountain Rifles - much better than the new Sako 85 and Browning X-Bolt.  If you're listening Remington, keep the stock.  Slightly longer LOP measurements would be okay but no weird futuristic shapes or shrunken buttstocks.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2008 at 22:10
i love my new m700 cdl sf with the new xmark pro trigger very nice rifle and the trigger is very nice, mine came from the factory set at 4lbs i moved it to 3lbs
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic