OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Reloading & Ballistics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Good Whitetail Load for 308 win

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blueboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Good Whitetail Load for 308 win
    Posted: May/01/2008 at 15:11
Having problems with factory loads for Kimber 308 win. Pulling out my 30 year old reloading equipment RCBS, I purchased in 1974 and never used. Retired now and it will give me something to do and save some money reloading my own. Any bullet, powder combo's would be appreciated for deer hunting.
Thanks
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/2008 at 17:09
Blue, what do you mean by "problems"? Inaccurate?
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Blueboy View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blueboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/2008 at 18:29
Yes, I have tried Fusion,165 gr, Vital shock accubonds 165 gr and they will not group, had it to my gunsmith and the gun is fine.
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/2008 at 20:15
The 308 is inherantly one of the most accurate calibers out there. Maybe try some 150gr or 180 gr bullets, either factory or hand loads.  I've got two 06s and one likes 150s, while the other 180s.  Neither rifle seems to like 165s, but I haven't spent alot of time developing these, I'm sure I could find one.  As always the 308 has 100's of possibilities for powder/bullet combinations that your sure to find a few that are stellar.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/2008 at 20:52
your hunting white tail, ok you are unhappy with your accuracy im going to suggest you use some 180gr sierra prohunters, or gamekings, and use some imr 4895 or imr 4064 and go from there
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2008 at 02:44
Varget!! Yippee
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2008 at 05:16
You could add r15 or r17 to the mix.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
Blueboy View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blueboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2008 at 06:49
I have been told Varget and the IMR 4895 are very friendly to the 308, I am going out today and pick a lb of each up and try the 180 g prohunters and gamekings. Does anyone have a good starting point or any other suggestions.

Thanks for the info guys
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2008 at 17:16
Originally posted by Blueboy Blueboy wrote:

I have been told Varget and the IMR 4895 are very friendly to the 308, I am going out today and pick a lb of each up and try the 180 g prohunters and gamekings. Does anyone have a good starting point or any other suggestions.

Thanks for the info guys

Don't forget IMR 4064 and W748.  Along with Varget, those are among the best powders available for the .308.  I've had tremendous success with 43 gr. 4064 and CCI BR2 primers behind several different 165 grain bullets.  All of my .308's LOVE this load!  Ironically, my rifles have shot BEST with 165/168 grainers.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2008 at 18:08
Well just to throw another cat into the bag,
It might not be the bullet wieght at all it might be the COL of the loads. I changed my COL for those 155gr amax over 43.6gr Varget and BR2's by .006 over and it tighten the groups up significantly.  I going to try this out on some 150gr SST to see how well it does for hunting loads.  These will be my grain feild loads.  In the thick stuff you gotta go heavy.
"Don't argue with a fool! From a distance you can't really tell who's who!"
Blueboy View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blueboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2008 at 19:25
I was thinking it might be the COL,  am open to trying anything. I love the Kimbers, have a 270wsm Montana, 243 84m they shoot great, this 308 is a 84m and it would not group. I just put a nice Kahles 1.5x4x42 helia c on it, I purchased from the sample list with the advice of people on this forum. I just went out today and purchased IMR 4064, Varget and 4895, I had to order the sierra prohunter and gamekings 150g & 180 g in each. I will play around until I find the right load. Thanks everyone for all your help
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2008 at 19:42
Starting loads for 180gr. bullet
Varget        41.0 grains--starting load.
Imr 4895    40.5 grains--starting load.
Both taken from the 2008 Hodgdon manual.  Also check Hodgdon.com, Lots of free loading info.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2008 at 20:19
44 GRAINS VARGET   168 GR HORNIDAY  AMAX

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Blueboy View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blueboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2008 at 08:04

After reading some of the comments above, I was checking my rifle this morning and noticed when I load a round into the chamber the bolt is real hard to close, my other Kimbers are not that way. I am wondering if the factory loads are hitting the rifling in the barrel. Which would make sense with not grouping well. I am going to check that today.

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2008 at 08:26
either that or the brass needs a trim, but if its brand new ammo that shouldnt be an issue, take your bullet seating die and seat it a little deeper then try to chamber them up
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
ceylonc View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceylonc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2008 at 11:33
Originally posted by Urimaginaryfrnd Urimaginaryfrnd wrote:

44 GRAINS VARGET   168 GR HORNIDAY  AMAX

I'll second this load!  All three of my .308 rifles LOVE this recipe.  Varget is very versatile because it is less temperature sensitive than some others that shoot well for .308. I find it to be a great hunting AND target powder for .308 that is pretty consistent year-round.  To go into a little more detail, here are all the components I use for this load:
--Lapua brass (fireformed to the particular rifle);
--Hornady 168gr. AMAX;
--44gr. Varget;
--Federal Gold Medal 210M primer;
--COAL right at magazine length;

Obviously, you need to work up to this load in your rifle. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2008 at 11:45
You can substitute CCI BR2 primers, as Steelbenz recommended, instead of the Fed 210M primers.
Fed Match primers are in short supply in some areas, so feel free to switch. 
I have used and liked both, but my rifle prefers the BR 2's a smidge better. Some say the CCI's are a tad cooler.   
ckk1106 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ckk1106 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2008 at 16:43
Originally posted by Blueboy Blueboy wrote:

After reading some of the comments above, I was checking my rifle this morning and noticed when I load a round into the chamber the bolt is real hard to close, my other Kimbers are not that way. I am wondering if the factory loads are hitting the rifling in the barrel. Which would make sense with not grouping well. I am going to check that today.

Are they all that way, or is it just a few?
Blueboy View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blueboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2008 at 18:48
All the ones I have tried are, Fusions and Vital Shoc are the 2 I tried so far.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2008 at 19:09
so were only talking about federal ammo, what about winchester or remington?
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic