OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Shooting
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Angle Shooting

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2008 at 20:08
using 8 shots formula and finding the atan of the of vx/xy will give you the angle of motion over time which when graphed will show when the traj falls thru the 0 axis and contact is made with the target, and or course is the derivative of how fast it does it.
RONK View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2008 at 08:09
Originally posted by Mike McDonald Mike McDonald wrote:

note to self:
 Never ask these people what time it is.

Oh, for crying out loud, Mike! The big hand is on 2 and the little hand is on 8...Bucky

Of course I'm just cracking on ya! It's all gibberish to me too. I hold for the horizontal distance, and squeeze the trigger. Seems to get pretty good results.
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2008 at 08:51
oh no-- you don't get off that easy--- yell uncle
make it stop!!! make it stop!!!!

the trig. method can be incorporated into the differential equation and solved using identity matrices and solving blocks, time can then be decimated and the difference equation ititerated to result in a smooth curve.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2008 at 12:33
Gents, you are making this more complicated than it has to be.  The cosine calculation is sufficient.  It doesn't matter that the bullet's traveling in an arc, the cosine formula merely gives you the corrected horizontal distance to the target.  Unless you're shooting at extreme angles, it truly doesn't have to be any more complicated than that.

See this link:

P.S.; it's now 12:34 p.m. Central Standard time (U.S.)

Edited by RifleDude - May/04/2008 at 12:34
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2008 at 12:40
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2008 at 12:57
Originally posted by RifleDude RifleDude wrote:

Gents, you are making this more complicated than it has to be.  The cosine calculation is sufficient.  It doesn't matter that the bullet's traveling in an arc, the cosine formula merely gives you the corrected horizontal distance to the target.  Unless you're shooting at extreme angles, it truly doesn't have to be any more complicated than that.

See this link:

P.S.; it's now 12:34 p.m. Central Standard time (U.S.)

Uh, Ted, could ya dumb it down a little for me and Mike?
Mike McDonald View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike McDonald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2008 at 17:12
That's dumb enough for this por old watchless shooter to understand.

Take that chart, and your angle of fire at 600 yards.
Find the cosine, multiply your 600 yard come up by that cosine and you have your new come up. 
That 600 yard shot at 45 degrees becomes a 500 yard dial up.

If yopu really want to get down to my level, dial your 600 yard dope, hold alittle daylight  under the animal and shoot, build a small campfire and eat. 

Unless you just shot a possum.
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2008 at 17:46

Find the cosine, multiply your 600 yard come up by that cosine and you have your new come up. 

If yopu really want to get down to my level, dial your 600 yard dope, hold alittle daylight  under the animal and shoot, build a small campfire and eat. 

Or an armadillo?    Nut%20Kicker
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/2008 at 02:57
A test our tester of things did was to shoot the angles. First on the level, then on the angle. On a 250yd straight shot, the bullet shot 2 inches high on the 30 deg slope with a 30-06.
He then placed his barrel in a plastic sleeve and stuck it in a barrel of ice. Air temp was around 75deg Fah. The rifle shot 6 inches off on the first shot. So extreme temp has even a bigger influence then slope.
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/2008 at 02:58

What am I missing? 600x.7=420 yds not 500. 

Edited by 8shots - May/05/2008 at 02:59
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike McDonald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/2008 at 06:57
8shots,

600 yard come ups X the cosine.  It accounts for the arcing trajectory and gravity without the complex equation. 
Also, wouldn't your testers ice experiment be more indicitive of a barrel in need of stress relief rather than a temerature induced miss?
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/2008 at 07:15
Mike, maybe. He does state that these are non-exhaustive tests. And probably most factory rifles have some stress in them. Shooting can be very simple, aim and shoot - I have seen guys who do not know anything about all this stuff we fill our minds with-who just aim and shoot. And hit what they aim at.
Then there is the dangerous brigade like me- who know a little and have no idea what to do with all the information- except have a very handy and plausible reason why I missed the shot.
And then you get the real pro's. They know all the stuff and how to use it.
Dogger View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/2008 at 07:38
8shots, your tenacity is admirable but shouldn't you:
1. be resting up getting ready for a big day of hunting
2. Resting up from an exhaustive day of hunting, preparing trophies, cleaning rifles
3. Sitting around a campfire sharing drinks & lies with your buddies

..... instead of playing with your computer!
Having said that, if you have a wireless connection keep us up to date as the hunt unfolds.
God save the Empire!
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/2008 at 07:41
ok, signing off.....
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike McDonald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/2008 at 18:10
8shots
".................... who know a little and have no idea what to do.............. "

Don't you mean.......like US?

Cheers!
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/06/2008 at 04:35
No, I can only speak for myself.

Edited by 8shots - May/06/2008 at 04:36
mercenary1947 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mercenary1947 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2008 at 10:04
 Physics .... lord .... how technical can it get ... calculus ... geometry specifications ... advanced trigonometry .....  I guess I need a degree from MIT to shoot a rifle .... HUH ... I thought I was doing alright till now .   Hammer%20Hit

Don't go anywhere 8shots ..............Mean%20Computer    did that suggestion feel like that and make you run off  ...  hope not .... ?

Edited by mercenary1947 - May/07/2008 at 10:11
One Shot One Kill .... *S.O.F * Head Shots Only
               SWFAM
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic