OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Reloading & Ballistics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

New short mag powder-Rel #17

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Master Extraordinaire
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New short mag powder-Rel #17
    Posted: April/30/2008 at 17:31
If you haven`t read this already, here is a great heads up for all of you short mag boys!.........Write this down first!....Go to.....reloadersnest.com...From there click on "forum"......Then click on "General Forum" then find page 8........Look for the subject "New Short Mag Powder" by the author "MPCO" and click....Then click again on that link shown. A pain I know, but worth the read. I don`t know how to link it directly to here..........Read the big write up/press release dated 2/12/08 on Alliant`s new powder Rel #17. It naturally, falls in between RL15 and RL19..........According to their tests as the article says, new and better overall velocities can be obtained in the WSM`s and other cartridges with this new powder vs. other similiar burn rates INCLUDING the most popular stuff we are all using now! It also talks about the chemical improvements made with this powder..........Defenitely worth a look see and read guys!! Very informative!............I`m going to add RL 17 to my list to try in my compact 300 WSM. If this works as advertised, the great velocities from my little shorty barrel that I`m already getting, will be even higher yet! So shall the results be from the 24`s and 26`s too!...............Gotta try this one!........Lookin good!Big%20SmileBig%20SmileBig%20Smile
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/30/2008 at 17:57
Big Squeeze View Drop Down
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/30/2008 at 18:12
Originally posted by tahqua tahqua wrote:

Here you go

http://reloadersnest.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=6695

Better yet, just go to the article

http://accurateshooter.wordpress.com/2008/02/12/alliant-releases-new-reloder-17-powder/
.............Thanks! You did what I didn`t know how to do!
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/30/2008 at 18:20
Just curious, is it simular to th new H100v?
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/30/2008 at 18:40
Originally posted by lucytuma lucytuma wrote:

Just curious, is it simular to th new H100v?
.............Could be!.....Hybrid 100v falls right in-between h4350 and the slower Rel 19.....This could be Alliant`s answer to Hodgdon`s Hybrid 100v or the other way around!......Wish I had a Speer manual and compare that to Alliant`s findings with RL17 in that article release.....Just another powder to play and experiment with!  
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/30/2008 at 19:53
I do find it interesting that by using RL 17, Alliant was able to exceed all other listed powders in the Speer manual for velocity using the same bullets...........So it stands to reason that by using other brands of bullets, the RL17 with a burn rate close to 4350, can do very well and may surpass alot of other powders in velocity capabilities.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/30/2008 at 19:55
Thanks for the heads-up, Squeezer.  I'll be giving RL17 a try!
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/30/2008 at 20:16
Originally posted by RifleDude RifleDude wrote:

Thanks for the heads-up, Squeezer.  I'll be giving RL17 a try!
...............Better get the chrony out!!! I know mine will be!........On that link, they show a 104 fps. increase over all other powders for a 180 gr. 300wsm using RL17..... Holy Moelly! With my 16.5" tube, I`m already doing 2994 fps. with a 180 gr. SST and 3145 fps. with a 150 gr. SST as max. loads............Maybe 3200 fps for the 150 gr. and 3040-50 for the 180 are possible, with some great accuracy too? WOW! Shocked I shall wait and see!.............Next batch? Some RL 17 for sure!................ 
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/30/2008 at 21:14
sign me up too!!!!
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/30/2008 at 21:48
On that link, did you guys notice WHAT the common denominator was for the majority % of velocity increase using RL17?.............Look closely!.............The higher % of the velocity increase is in the WSM calibers. Yep! The shorter and fatter cases!........The 30-06 however in the 150 gr. does get a real good bump!....Even though each rifle is different, it is quite possible that Alliant may have developed the perfect powder and burn rate (at least for velocity anyway), for the WSM`s?? Accuracy to be determined later!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic