OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Is a custom rifle worth it?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/29/2008 at 21:32
i like the .260, good choice, imo cooper is about as close to a custom rifle as  one can get without really getting crazy, course with cooper i suppose you could get out of hand. the kimber 84m superamerica looks like a damn nice rifle and can be had for around the $2000 mark, as can a nice cooper 52. good luck and keep us informed.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/29/2008 at 21:46
Originally posted by Jeff H. Jeff H. wrote:

So i've been considering buying a rifle. The one i've been looking at for a while is the Kimber 84M Montana. But then I started toying with the idea of just going all out a getting a custom gun. I've seen NULA come up quite a few times. The question is, is it worth it to spend the (possibly significant) extra money on a custom rifle? Are you really getting hundreds of dollars worth of extra quality by going the custom route?

Any thoughts/insights would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

First off and I think it's been stated so, that a custom rifle is a very subject purchase with regards to whether it's "worth it or not".  If you are looking for a working class rifle, meaning stainless/synthetic gene pool, I would have to say that the Kimber Montana is a tough act to follow quality wise. Remington Custom Shop is a good option as well especially if you can find a good used one, cause their new pricing is creeping up there with the top dogs. As far as the NULA are concerned, I just don't really see the 3500 dollar price tag there. I only handled one in a shop for a short period of time and I have heard owners speak very highly of them so maybe I'm missing the big picture. In short, the Kimber is a best buy IMO. For 3500 bucks you can get alot of rifle from some lessor known gunsmiths and have very few limitations placed in way, meaning a top of the line custom action, barrel, trigger and stock. I have included a link to help make your head spin.........

Roy
Jeff H. View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff H. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/29/2008 at 22:37
Originally posted by silver silver wrote:

How far are you willing to drive to get the stock fitted to your body? I have never stoped in the guy who does the trap stocks, just north of Dayton.  There are several guys in Pa who do various quality of custom rifles.

There is also the Remington or CZ custom shop.  I -HIGHLY- HIGHLY- recomend that you use a gunsmith that you can drive to and talk with in person!!!!

I agree that it would be ideal to actually vist the gunsmith if i go the custom/semicustom route. i noticed the nula guy is in west virginia, so imagine i would be willing to go that far. actually i might even be willing to do it without a visit if a had a comprehensive catalog of thier offerings (with pics of stocks, etc.).
Jeff H. View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff H. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/29/2008 at 22:42
Originally posted by silver silver wrote:

Lets go back to getting a mission statement for the gun.  What do  YOU want to do with the gun? And Where?

well to tell you the truth, i'm pretty bummed that ohio (my location) doesn't have a rifle deer season. what a crock! :P But my parents live in the mountains in tennessee, so i imagine i can go down there for deer. i understand ohio has hogs, so i would *love* to find out where they are and hunt them! in addition to that, it would be really sweet to go elk hunting. but again, because of logistics, that wouldn't be the majority of my hunting. so right now im thinking deer and hogs - with elk in the back of my mind ;)
Jeff H. View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff H. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/29/2008 at 22:47
Originally posted by Roy Finn Roy Finn wrote:

If you are looking for a working class rifle, meaning stainless/synthetic gene pool, I would have to say that the Kimber Montana is a tough act to follow quality wise.

... I have included a link to help make your head spin.........

Roy

yes i agree about the montana. i was pretty much set on them until i started getting ideas about a semi-custom gun. a number of people have brought up cooper. i haven't really checked them out yet, so i'll give them a look. thank you for that link too - that's very helpful!
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/30/2008 at 00:02
Only reason I didn't mention the Cooper is it seemed like you were aiming at light weight.  I have a Cooper Custom Classic 57M that is a beut........For the money, I don't think there is a better semi-custom out there, IMO.

Roy
Sgt. D View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sgt. D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/2008 at 12:25

Only reason I didn't mention the Cooper is it seemed like you were aiming at light weight.  I have a Cooper Custom Classic 57M that is a beut........For the money, I don't think there is a better semi-custom out there, IMO.

Roy

Jeff,

After seeing the Cooper mentioned so much, I thought I would add that sometimes I wish I had gone with a Cooper. Because they have an excellant rep. for accuracy at any price range and I would have been to the range a few times by now. At this point I don't regret my decision but didn't fully appreciate the waiting period. The one thing I wish I'd checked on with Cooper is barrel contour options. But all in all I am very pleased with my soon to be Kreiger custom. We are anxious to know your decision.

Yippee

Edited by Sgt. D - May/01/2008 at 12:26
Take care of Soldiers, Show em how its done and do it with em, Run to the Fight & and hold your ground! I die my men go home! If you're a NCO and this ain't you. GET OUT! GOD BLESS AMERICA!
Jeff H. View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff H. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/2008 at 21:10
Originally posted by Sgt. D Sgt. D wrote:

Roy

Jeff,

After seeing the Cooper mentioned so much, I thought I would add that sometimes I wish I had gone with a Cooper. Because they have an excellant rep. for accuracy at any price range and I would have been to the range a few times by now. At this point I don't regret my decision but didn't fully appreciate the waiting period. The one thing I wish I'd checked on with Cooper is barrel contour options. But all in all I am very pleased with my soon to be Kreiger custom. We are anxious to know your decision.

Yippee

the coopers are definitely nice. i feel like i keep coming back to the kimber, though - which was the one i was originally leaning towards. i just haven't seen anything that i like quite as much as the 84M. I'd like to put one of the new swarovski Z6's on it, so that plus the gun will put me at about $3000, which i guess is is a pretty decent chunk for a first gun.

i appreciate all the advice and fine suggestions put forth by everyone! i've got some questions about caliber, so check out my new thread on that ;)
mercenary1947 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mercenary1947 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/2008 at 21:13
 Yep .... agree with a couple guys here .... it all depends on WHO builds it also .... do you want all looks ... dependability .... accuracy ... depends on components used ... bucu variables ... if you want all the above .... make sure the finished product is what you want . My son has a custom weatherby 300 super magnum or something ... ammo i think is about $54.00 a box ... every inch shines like a mirror .... engraved .... but even if a tiny particle or drop of anything gets on it he flips out . It sits in a gun cabinet 98 % of the time ...  not what I'd want .... I use mine .  Are you going to use it ... or is it going to be a show piece ? Make sure the gunsmith knows what he's doing and tells you every variable .
One Shot One Kill .... *S.O.F * Head Shots Only
               SWFAM
Jeff H. View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff H. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/2008 at 21:24
Originally posted by mercenary1947 mercenary1947 wrote:

...Are you going to use it ... or is it going to be a show piece ? Make sure the gunsmith knows what he's doing and tells you every variable .

oh i'd definitely use it. but i'm pretty compulsive, so i'd probably be pretty protective of it regardless :P
Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/13/2008 at 07:23
Jeff, I echo all of the above sentiments.  I, like rifledude do most of my work on my own rifles and have built several customs off of barreled actions.  Some may call these semi-customs, but it is a matter of semantics.  The one in my avatar is a Parker Hale action in a 243 Winchester that I detailed and blue printed as much as I could with the equipment that I own, glass bedded it to a Richard's Precision fit walnut stock, which I hand finished and it shoots a little over or close to .25 inch groups with handloads.  It took many hours of work, but is quite rewarding to know that I did it myself.  No engraving, as I do not have those skills yet, while I do own the equipment, I was too chicken to try.  This is own way to own a true custom and be really happy, but before you slap down your cash, like the other poster said, know truly what you want.  I have to admit, for the accuracy and having as close to what I would call a semi-custom rifle, I would go for a Cooper all day long, if I did not want to build my own.
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/13/2008 at 08:57
Dolphin, what type of blueprinting were you able to do on your own.

Thanks,
Roy
Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/13/2008 at 10:05
 This is not a complet custom rifle but it is something I have been wanting for a while now.I talked to Shawn the other day and the wait time for the 338 edge is around 9 months. I'm placeing my order for one shortly.from everything I have heard and or read it is a great round. here is the site.

I'm looking into the canyon rifle In the 338 edge.

I can do allot of things with rifles but this is his specialty so I feel this one will be bought from him.
P&Z Firearms , Pro gun cleanings and gun repair and wood refinishing.

Ecclesiastes 10:2
Jeff H. View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff H. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/13/2008 at 20:43
Originally posted by Dolphin Dolphin wrote:

Jeff, I echo all of the above sentiments.  I, like rifledude do most of my work on my own rifles and have built several customs off of barreled actions.  Some may call these semi-customs, but it is a matter of semantics.  The one in my avatar is a Parker Hale action in a 243 Winchester that I detailed and blue printed as much as I could with the equipment that I own, glass bedded it to a Richard's Precision fit walnut stock, which I hand finished and it shoots a little over or close to .25 inch groups with handloads.  It took many hours of work, but is quite rewarding to know that I did it myself.  No engraving, as I do not have those skills yet, while I do own the equipment, I was too chicken to try.  This is own way to own a true custom and be really happy, but before you slap down your cash, like the other poster said, know truly what you want.  I have to admit, for the accuracy and having as close to what I would call a semi-custom rifle, I would go for a Cooper all day long, if I did not want to build my own.

yours is a very nice rifle indeed. that really would be pretty sweet to make your own gun - and like you said - very rewarding. i'm still researching the various options, because i agree that i really need to know what i am looking for. hopefully this summer i'll get a chance to shoot a couple different types of guns to get a feel for different calibers.
Jeff H. View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff H. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/13/2008 at 20:46
Originally posted by Bigdaddy0381 Bigdaddy0381 wrote:

This is not a complet custom rifle but it is something I have been wanting for a while now.I talked to Shawn the other day and the wait time for the 338 edge is around 9 months. I'm placeing my order for one shortly.from everything I have heard and or read it is a great round. here is the site.

I can do allot of things with rifles but this is his specialty so I feel this one will be bought from him.

those are some really nice looking guns they have. thank you for letting me know about them. i really like that picutre of the 338 edge. i like that camo pattern they have on it. is that camo really as nice looking up close as it is in the picture? how durable is it? does it flake off easily? because i really like the way that looks.
sakomato View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sakomato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/13/2008 at 23:13
I've taken a different route than just shelling out cash for a custom rifle.  I have taken guns that I already have that I have gotten bored with and rebarrel them into something special.

For instance I had a Sako Model 75 270 that had about 2000 rounds through it and sent it off to Hart for a rebarrel to 280AI with a 26" stainless 1 in 8 twist .313" chamber neck bead blasted barrel.  I sent an unprimed case with a bullet seated to the length I wanted and they hit it right on the meplat.  It has a McMillan stock

it's a real shooter

Next I had a Browning BBR with a detachable magazine that was so short I couldn't load out close to the lands and sent it to a gunsmith and had a barrel shipped directly to him.  It now has a Douglas XX Match Grade 26" CM 1 in 8 twist 6.5 rem mag barrel

I'm waiting on a McMillan stock for it now.  It can shoot also (hate those fliers Cussing)

Now I am working on rebarreling a 338 win mag into a 338 RUM.  I'm thinking a Krieger barrel.

If you don't count a new stock then the rebarrels can be had for about $700.00 total.

So look in your gun cabinet and start thinking.  It's a lot more fun when you can make all the decisions yourself.
Guns only have 2 enemies, rust and politicians
Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/14/2008 at 07:18

Dolphin, what type of blueprinting were you able to do on your own.

Thanks,
Roy
 With respect to accurizing, I lapped the lugs until I got them to mate with the recesses precisely and the bolt face so that it was concentric.  The later was pretty much right own.  Otherwise, I polished the ramp until silky smooth and the race ways in the same manner.  I do not have the equipment to deal with barrel threading.  I have lapped the lugs on many Wbys. and believe it or not, most of those, despite having 9, are pretty much right on, out of the box.  I still go through the process to perfect it as much as possible.  The bolt faces are almost always right on.
Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/14/2008 at 08:08

Originally posted by Bigdaddy0381 Bigdaddy0381 wrote:

those are some really nice looking guns they have. thank you for letting me know about them. i really like that picutre of the 338 edge. i like that camo pattern they have on it. is that camo really as nice looking up close as it is in the picture? how durable is it? does it flake off easily? because i really like the way that looks.

Jeff,

I'm not sure of the camo pattern your refering to.When camoing a rifle there is so many options out that you will run your self crazy trying to find  "THE ONE" for you. When I get mine I just want it sent to me with no camo. I'll then send  it to www.lauerweaponry.com
and have them Dura Coat it.They do a fine job. 
Hope this helped a little. But all in all You have got to find out what you want the rifle built for and what you will be happy with. haveing a custom gun means different things to different people.
Good Luck

P&Z Firearms , Pro gun cleanings and gun repair and wood refinishing.

Ecclesiastes 10:2
Jeff H. View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff H. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/14/2008 at 09:34
Originally posted by sakomato sakomato wrote:

So look in your gun cabinet and start thinking.  It's a lot more fun when you can make all the decisions yourself.

very nice looking guns! i actually don't own any guns though. that's why i'm fairly clueless on this whole matter ;)
sakomato View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sakomato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/14/2008 at 14:49

i actually don't own any guns though. that's why i'm fairly clueless on this whole matter ;)

Then just buy a Steyr Pro Hunter Camo in 300 win mag and you will have a factory rifle that will outshoot most customs and a caliber that will do all the hunting you are most likely to run into.
Guns only have 2 enemies, rust and politicians
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic