OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Vintage scope suggestions

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AftonJohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Vintage scope suggestions
    Posted: April/28/2008 at 13:15
I just posted the winning bid on a pre-64 Winchester model 70 (circa 1955).
It comes with a Weaver scope of similar vintage installed in Weaver rings.
Any suggestion for upgrading the scope while keeping with the vintage theme?
I was considering Leupold, Redfield, Lyman etc, but don't know how they rank from a quality standpoint.
Thanks in advance for your help.

Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/28/2008 at 17:07

Back in the olden days ( like the 60s) all three of those scopes you mentioned were about even as far as quality was concerned.  Unertl and Bausch and Lomb scopes were also as good. Everything was made in the good old USA.  Weaver was also as dependable, but the optics might not have been quite as swell as those more expensive scopes that cost ( GULP) $20 more!!!Shocked  But the Weavers were just as bulletproof. 

If you want to mount a vintage scope to keep a vintage theme that is very neat. I have done the same thing on my old pre 64 also.  I also did it because I needed a LONG scope to clear the old Lyman 22G rear sight.  But I kind of cheated and got stuff from the seventies because going all the way back to the fifties is getting kinda "old" .  Besides the Redfields and Leupolds and Weavers, etc. still looked the same in the seventies ( or even into the 80s) but the scopes are a lot more weatherproof and some of them have got multi-coating on them!  Heck you could get a BRAND NEW Leupold today and still have a vintage looking rifle! 

I was never too thrilled with the idea of externally adjustable mounts to adjust a Bausch and Lomb so I was never really interested in them ( all the internally adjustable B&L scopes were made in Japan--never in Rochester, NY).  Anyway, back in the old days they were ALL GOOD.  Weaver just outsold everyone because the were less expensive.  And, of course, because they worked!!

I have a Weaver K6 from the mid-70s on my Winchester!  One of these days I'll upgrade to I-don't-know-what-yet.  It'll be something long, though..............HA!   Wink            --Ed

mercenary1947 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mercenary1947 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/28/2008 at 18:50
 You know I still have the original weaver that came with my marlin 39A . I'll bet it only cost about $ 12-15.00 back then ... can't remember . Still works great ... but I retired both of them years ago . 
One Shot One Kill .... *S.O.F * Head Shots Only
               SWFAM
AftonJohnny View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AftonJohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/29/2008 at 10:53
Great feedback thanks!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic