OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Nikon Buckmaster??

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p230 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nikon Buckmaster??
    Posted: April/28/2008 at 11:01
     I am putting together a hunting rifle each of my Son and my two Nephews.  I was thinking about getting the Nikon Buckmasters 4X40 that are on the sample list to put on each of them.  My budget is kind of limited and I was really just looking for  a starter scope that they can learn on and then change out later if they want to.  A friend had also suggested the Simmons whitetail classic (he has one and has performed well).  All the rifles are going to be 6.5X55's on Zastava actions, probably medium weight barrels.

Opinions??

Thanks

Rico, we'll need special tactical equipment
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/28/2008 at 11:08
That's a good setup for a beginner there the Buck Master Scope is pretty good. Others will have better, but there's gonna be quite a few that don't. I think you're on to something there. 

Edited by cyborg - April/28/2008 at 11:10
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/28/2008 at 11:21
I think the BM's off the Sample List is an excellent idea.  
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
mercenary1947 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mercenary1947 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/28/2008 at 11:23
 I agree ...... the Nikon ... someone will always have better .... no matter what scope anyone buys ... I never forgave simmons for the crap models they produced and sold to the public ....
One Shot One Kill .... *S.O.F * Head Shots Only
               SWFAM
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/28/2008 at 11:27
I agree there Merc, They have put some real sphincter sculptures on the market, the best they had the AETEC they seriously downgraded it and kept the name and to what end? Stickin it in folks ends, RAPISTS.
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
medic52 View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote medic52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/28/2008 at 12:50
Another vote for the Nikon, I too would stay away from the Simmons.....
"The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him." G.K. Chesterton
p230 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p230 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/28/2008 at 16:56
    From what I read the paralax is set at 100 yards.  I don't forsee them shooting over 200 yards for several years (they are still young).  I don't see the paralax as a problem do any of you?  Also one my aims in looking at a fixed power scope what to keep things simple for them so they can concentrate on the shooting not the optic.  Any feelings on those lines for the Nikon.  It looks pretty simple.

Thanks

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/28/2008 at 17:36
Originally posted by p230 p230 wrote:

From what I read the paralax is set at 100 yards.  I don't forsee them shooting over 200 yards for several years (they are still young).  I don't see the paralax as a problem do any of you?  Also one my aims in looking at a fixed power scope what to keep things simple for them so they can concentrate on the shooting not the optic.  Any feelings on those lines for the Nikon.  It looks pretty simple.

Thanks

Yes, parallax is set for 100 yards. Shouldn't be a problem.

I don't follow the "fixed power" question though. The 4x Buck Master is a fixed power. Did you mean a 1x optic?
Maybe I missed something.
RONK View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/28/2008 at 17:40
 The Nikon is an excellent choice. The 100 yard parallax will not cause them any real problems whatsoever; they could carry those rigs to hunt light/medium game throughout the world and never really NEED to upgrade anything, as long as they use appropriate judgement and good ammunition. Good for you for getting them off to a great start!
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/28/2008 at 17:46
Originally posted by cheaptrick cheaptrick wrote:

Originally posted by p230 p230 wrote:

Thanks

I don't follow the "fixed power" question though. The 4x Buck Master is a fixed power. Did you mean a 1x optic?
 Mark-
 I'm not sure, but I think he just means that the reason he's leaning toward the  fixed power Nikon is because it is simple and less likely to cause problems when shooting as a variable might, by the beginner having it set at too high a magnification, etc..

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/28/2008 at 17:51
Ah so........ Brick%20Hit

p230 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p230 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/28/2008 at 17:58

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Yes, I meant I want them to be thinking about the wind, bullet drop, shoot placement etc.. but not what power the scope is on.  One tendancy that I developed early on using fixed power what dialing it up and saying "dang I can see it, so I can hit it"  while loosing site of how really far away the target was.  This is just a way in my mind to make them think about what they are really doing.

Thanks for all the great input so far.
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/28/2008 at 18:09
I think yours sons and nephews are very fortunate to have a father/uncle like you.  Not only are you giving something of value to these childeren, but teaching values at  the same time.  I think the setup you described will bring years of enjoyment to both you and yours.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/28/2008 at 18:19
A 4x scope with 100 parallax setting is no problem. I have been killing pests for years with a fixed 4x big game scope on a Ruger .22. This is from ten to seventy five yard shots.
I had to by a post hole digger because of this set up. I got sick of digging holes by hand. 
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/28/2008 at 18:27
....whatcha diggin' all them holes fer??  Dontcha got no coyotes left??  or did ya kill em all??Shocked
tahqua View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/28/2008 at 18:33
I dig those holes for the coons and opossum. I live in an area where all the good folks around me drop off their cage trapped buggers. I have a severe over population problem that I have been more than willing to remedy.
I have six wood duck nests out back and they are always raiding them.
The coyotes are all gone from my areaWink. I can tell because the red fox are back.

Edited by tahqua - April/28/2008 at 20:51
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mercenary1947 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/28/2008 at 18:45
 I think I'd put up a sign ...

WARNING
        ANY AND ALL DROP OFFS OF LIVE GAME
    WILL BE MET WITH HAND LOADED ROCK SALT
                  BY TRAINED MARKSMAN
 Did ya ever see a dog rubbin his  butt across the ground
                     You'll look like him

may not work but they may think twice ....LOL
tahqua View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/28/2008 at 20:57
That would be great but I'm in S.E. Michigan and the authorities would frown on that. I don't need any love and affection in the house of correction, if you know what I mean.
Back to the scope, I think that Nikon would be great for that gun. A fixed 4x is a great compliment to most guns like that, IMO.
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mercenary1947 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/28/2008 at 22:17
 I did'nt mean really shoot anybody .... just put it up for fun .
One Shot One Kill .... *S.O.F * Head Shots Only
               SWFAM
p230 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p230 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/29/2008 at 14:26
   I went ahead and ordered the Nikons.  I hope to have this project cleared by Christmas so now I need stocks and barrels. 
    Thanks for all the help.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic