OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Reloading & Ballistics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Re-sizing the neck using the seating die

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Re-sizing the neck using the seating die
    Posted: April/28/2008 at 09:55
Has anyone ever tried this?  I was re-loading some once fired 300 Wby. cartridges, factory cartridges for my project rifle, shot in this rifle and did not want to full re-size the cartridge for obvious reasons.  I used a Larry Willis die to re-size just above the belt.  Of course when trying to seat a bullet they would fall through.  So, using my seater die, a Hornady, I would turn it in just enough to squeeze the neck shut so as when I went to seat the bullet I had enough resistance to do so.  Now, it took a little trial and error to get it just right, as I crushed the shoulders on several cases, but when I finally got it right, was able to tighten the neck and seat a bullet to the correct length with a quick spin of the die in one direction and the back out to seat the bullet and was able to correct for the proper over all length by turning in on occasions without any problems.  Of course, since I do not want to go through that headache again, I ordered about 200 dollars worth of neck re-sizing dies for a variety of calibers this am.

Edited by Dolphin - April/28/2008 at 09:56
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/28/2008 at 10:27
Did you check run out after resizing, D?
Just curious.  
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/28/2008 at 11:32
Which part of run out?
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/28/2008 at 11:41
Case neck.

Just curious. Sounds kind of interesting, but I was wondering how concentric the case neck/mouth would be after resizing.

Edited by cheaptrick - April/28/2008 at 11:48
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/28/2008 at 11:53
Does the round shoot OK?
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/28/2008 at 11:55
I did not measure actual case neck concentricity, as I assumed that with the seating die I assumed that it would be concentric and more importantly and more realistically and more to the truth, I did not think about it.  They all looked quite good, they all chambered easily and they all compared quite nicely with factory loaded ammo.  I guess I need to measure that, but I do not own a specific case concentricity gauge.
Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/28/2008 at 11:56
Originally posted by cyborg cyborg wrote:

Does the round shoot OK?
I have not had a chance to try them.
Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/28/2008 at 12:15
D.
was this a seating/crimp die. I have had a few run thru my hands that are the combo. I would just seat crimp in the same motion. It worked out really well after you set the die up a little higher.It would buldge the shell out in the center if the die was to low in the press. But if it was right it was awesome to use.no sizing for 8 shots or so.
P&Z Firearms , Pro gun cleanings and gun repair and wood refinishing.

Ecclesiastes 10:2
Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/28/2008 at 12:50
It was a Hornady die that can do both.  I actually wanted to crimp slightly, but the problem is in this situation I needed resistance to allow the bullet not to fall into the case.  So I had to use the die to close the case neck slightly to allow doing this by way of turning it towards the crimping option.  Now, if I wanted to crimp, there were two problems.  One, it would crush the shoulders, now matter how I adjusted the die.  I tried and tried to set the die back up from the beginning, i.e. replace the die adjusted to the mouth of the case and by the Hornady instructions, adjust it for crimping.  But to no avail, crushed shoulders.  I have never had good luck with Hornady dies.  My best luck is with RCBS dies.  No hitches.  I loaded 6.5 Remington magnum cartridges the day before with fresh Remington brass using Lee dies.  I full length re-sized the cartridges and when I went to seat the bullets, they would fall into the cases.  I ended up having to use a similar technique.  I did shoot those, primarily to sight in the rifle and posted easily one inch groups at 100 yards with 140 grain Sierra GKs, but did not try to get some real accurate groups.  Nosler partitions, 100 grains, were not quite as accurate.  The rifle is a 673 and I am strongly thinking about doing what Hunter did and take off that rib.  I think it may adversely affect accuracy by affecting barrel harmonic.  The end closest to the receiver is screwed down probably 4 inches away leaving it a little loose for the remainder of the distance, which I think is sloppy.  It is also not level with receiver.  Yes, took a level to it when trying to set up the scope.  It is off by probably 10 -20 degrees.  I believe it has the same size screw holes the mounting holes use and I have saved enough to fill them.  I can put some super glue on the screws and screw them level to the barrel.  

Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/28/2008 at 13:05
The one I used  I had to put a case on the press and push it to where the die should be.Then took the die and screwed it down untill it touched the case. the backed the case out and run the die down a 1/4 turns. Then I would push the case in the die bring it out set bullet and push it back into the die.It worked fine just took a while to figuer it out.

Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/28/2008 at 13:12
Thats pretty much how it works.  But, before crimping, you have to seat the bullet to the depth you want before performing the final crimp, as once it is crimped, that's it.  At least thats what I did loading for my 375 RUM and 458 Winchester magnum, which was simplified, as I crimped into the cannelure.

Edited by Dolphin - April/28/2008 at 13:13
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/28/2008 at 13:16
The one I had the seater cup was adjustable. I would set it where the bullet would seat/crimp and the same time. Is there any adjustment on the bullet seater cup?

Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/28/2008 at 16:14
You are correct.  But, once you seat the bullet with a full crimp, the depth of seating cannot be changed.  So, you taper seat until you get the right depth, then crimp seat the bullet.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/28/2008 at 22:33
Originally posted by Dolphin Dolphin wrote:

Has anyone ever tried this?  I was re-loading some once fired 300 Wby. cartridges, factory cartridges for my project rifle, shot in this rifle and did not want to full re-size the cartridge for obvious reasons.  I used a Larry Willis die to re-size just above the belt.  Of course when trying to seat a bullet they would fall through.  So, using my seater die, a Hornady, I would turn it in just enough to squeeze the neck shut so as when I went to seat the bullet I had enough resistance to do so.  Now, it took a little trial and error to get it just right, as I crushed the shoulders on several cases, but when I finally got it right, was able to tighten the neck and seat a bullet to the correct length with a quick spin of the die in one direction and the back out to seat the bullet and was able to correct for the proper over all length by turning in on occasions without any problems.  Of course, since I do not want to go through that headache again, I ordered about 200 dollars worth of neck re-sizing dies for a variety of calibers this am.

I've never heard of anyone using the seating die to size the neck, D.  I would say in most cases with most dies, the seating die won't size the neck.  If yours did, then what most likely happened is you ran the die down close enough toward the shellholder that when the ram is in the full up stroke, the case mouth contacted a chamfer somewhere between the seater stem and the bullet chamber such that it crimped the case mouth only.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/29/2008 at 11:09
Originally posted by RifleDude RifleDude wrote:

Originally posted by Dolphin Dolphin wrote:

I've never heard of anyone using the seating die to size the neck, D.  I would say in most cases with most dies, the seating die won't size the neck.  If yours did, then what most likely happened is you ran the die down close enough toward the shellholder that when the ram is in the full up stroke, the case mouth contacted a chamfer somewhere between the seater stem and the bullet chamber such that it crimped the case mouth only.
You are correct Ted.  I actually did not re-size the neck, just crimped it enough to allow resistance for placement of a bullet without it falling into the cartridge.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic