OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

A tale of a rifle scope and a rifle

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A tale of a rifle scope and a rifle
    Posted: April/28/2008 at 09:03
I post this in the rifle scope threads to get more traffic.  It is an interesting tale, actually a truth that should teach a lesson about letting inexperienced or experienced gun stores mount your scope.  A while back, maybe 2 years my brother purchase a beautiful Remington BDL Deluxe in a 22-250.  I had in my closet a Japanese made Tasco 6x24 scope of reasonable quality to get him started.  He called it the baseball bat.  The scope was in perfect condition, never been mounted with the cross hairs perfectly aligned to the E/W turrets.  Well, he took it to a local shop, instead of having me mount it, mainly because it was close to where he lived had them mount it.  I have had only two rifles mounted by anyone other than myself and this was one place, only because I was in a hurry and they did a terrible job, which I latter had to re-do.  That is the 240 Wby. with the 0.5 inch groups.  The other place, for the same reason did it right, lapping the rings to perfection, Leupold rings, on a Vanguard 300 Wby. that is a shooter.  Well, to fast forward to this past Saturday, he came over to go shooting and sight the rifle in.  He kept telling me, the gun person he is not, but a good shooter and hunter he is, that the reticle was "not perpendicular."  Not quite understanding what he was saying, I took a look through the scope and it was horribly canted to the left.  Well, when this guy mounted my scope, he kept having me lean over and look through it and asking me if it looked "right."  Well without a chair to sit in, I became frustrated and said fine and took the rifle and went home.  Well it was canted and the rings were unevenly tightened and so on.  Well on my brother's rifle every thing was wrong.  The rings and mounts were of the Weaver type, but unidentifiable and cheap.  I went to loosen the rings to adjust the scope and if I could have fit my fingers in there, I could have done it with them.  Remember, this rifle had never been shot.  I roughly lined up the reticle and low and behold, now the reticle was a good 30 degrees off from the turrets.  Well, he had another set of high quality mounts and rings, nicely engraved, but I cannot tell you the brand, dove tails I can tell you and I had another Tasco scope, probably Chinese made.  When I went to remove the bases, there was tons of loc tite all over the bottom of the rear base.  At the time we cleaned it off, thinking we were going to use it again.  The screws that were on the original set were stripped, as well as one in the front.  Well, I had some screws from some Warne hardware, I have tons of supplies and off we go mounting the other set of bases and rings.  The two screw holes in the rear were stripped and would not tighten down.  The ones in the front were fine.  The only way I can put it all together, is that he not only over tightened the ring in the rear crushing the tube disturbing the reticle, without being noticeable on the tube and also stripped the receiver rear screw holes, hence the use of excessive loc tite and none on the front.  Now he is going to have the hole re-tapped.  Of course, since it has been 2 years they are not going to own up to it.  Any thoughts.

Edited by Dolphin - April/28/2008 at 09:07
Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/28/2008 at 09:23
I would let the place know whats going on with it. It might not get you any help from them but thats fine I have a feeling your/he is  not going back there again.
P&Z Firearms , Pro gun cleanings and gun repair and wood refinishing.

Ecclesiastes 10:2
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/28/2008 at 09:23
Luckily you never assumed all was okay and went on some expensive hunting trip!!

I am not a gunsmith, but I can loosen and tighten screws, line things up etc. For the reasons you quoted above, I prefer to mount my own scopes, triggers etc.

At our range I have had two guys come from a particular gunsmith, who has put the incorrect bases onto their rifles. The result was that the scopes ran out of elevation and it was not even on the paper yet! So as in any trade you get tradesmen and you get tradesmen.....

Edited by 8shots - April/28/2008 at 09:24
Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/28/2008 at 09:41
Originally posted by Bigdaddy0381 Bigdaddy0381 wrote:

I would let the place know whats going on with it. It might not get you any help from them but thats fine I have a feeling your/he is  not going back there again.
Thats for sure.  They have been in buisness for a long time and now that the big city of Raleigh is getting alot of their is going their for needs they have gotten an attitude and do not even attend local gun shows.  Just may do that.
Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/28/2008 at 09:42
Originally posted by 8shots 8shots wrote:

Luckily you never assumed all was okay and went on some expensive hunting trip!!

I am not a gunsmith, but I can loosen and tighten screws, line things up etc. For the reasons you quoted above, I prefer to mount my own scopes, triggers etc.

At our range I have had two guys come from a particular gunsmith, who has put the incorrect bases onto their rifles. The result was that the scopes ran out of elevation and it was not even on the paper yet! So as in any trade you get tradesmen and you get tradesmen.....

It's amazing the things you see.
Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/28/2008 at 09:46
Originally posted by Dolphin Dolphin wrote:

Originally posted by Bigdaddy0381 Bigdaddy0381 wrote:

Thats for sure.  They have been in buisness for a long time and now that the big city of Raleigh is getting alot of their is going their for needs they have gotten an attitude and do not even attend local gun shows.  Just may do that.

I have an uncle that lives in Raleigh and there is a bunch of ignoramuses there no doubt. I guess this one need to be chopped up to stupid tax and let it go. If you did contact the store with the time and you have fixed the problem they would just basically tell you to shove off. I just wouldn't never ever go back there.

P&Z Firearms , Pro gun cleanings and gun repair and wood refinishing.

Ecclesiastes 10:2
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/28/2008 at 11:44
There just is no excuse for a shop doing that kind of business. I'd be a pissed off Rattle Snake........Mad
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
medic52 View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote medic52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/28/2008 at 12:22
I think you owe it to the store to inform them of the TERRIBLE (Shi*ty) job they done. Probably on a saturday afternoon when it might be full of customers..........if they are still in business that is.
"The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him." G.K. Chesterton
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/2008 at 17:27
The Old days it was said there are 1000 bolts in an automobile. It only takes one nut to screw it up. Now the cars are glued and welded. It still only takes one nut to screw it up. Some things never change.  Whatever
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic