OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Varmint Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Ruger 223 M77VT scope help

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M77 VT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ruger 223 M77VT scope help
    Posted: December/06/2004 at 15:55
Hey, new here. whats up. cool forum. i just purchased a Ruger m77Vt 223. i'm in the process of selecting a scope. i figured that this would probably be the place to awsner my questions. i need help fast cause i'm sick of not being able to shoot my new toy. thx. My price range is 0-350. i want to keep it cheap cause i know how scopes can be expencive. I will do mostly coyotee hunting, just for fun long range shots, coyotee hunting in south dakota ( i live in michigan). and just overall playing around. i have been looking at different scopes and heres what i want. 4-12 or 4.5-15 by 44 or 50. A/O. i have looked at the nikon buckmaster 4-12-50 AO. i like it. i figured i'd ask to see what else i'm looking for. is a 44 better than a 50? cause of glare? is this enough magnification for coyotee? is the Ao really that important? will my gun be perty accurate with this setup. should i consider like a monarch? or a vx2 leupold? should i consider spending more? i'm still perty new. i just figured what the heck ur smart. suggestions. ALso Any thoughts on the gun, scope or other are greatly appreciated
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/06/2004 at 21:04

You'll be hard pressed to find something better in your price range than this Burris Fullfield II 4.5-14x42 and it comes with a free spotter.

http://www.riflescopes.com/products/200183/burris_fullfield_ ii_4.5-14x42.htm

Other good choices would be Weaver Grand Slam 4.5-14x40 or Sightron S2 4.5-14x42MD 

Of the three Sightron has the best optics, IMO.  Durability is good in all three.  Burris is the best bang for the buck due to a Ballistic plex reticle and free spotter.  If you are comfortable with a Mil-Dot reticle Sightron is a good choice.  Weaver Grand Slam I have little personal experience with, but it is getting good reviews.

For ultimate optical performance in $350 range Sightron is hard to beat.  Sightron is also available with a 50mm objective for about the same money.

Nikon Buckmaster is a good scope from a good company, but it can not really compete with the three scopes above.

50mm objective does not really offer any real-life advantage that is not negatively offset by the increased weight and bulk of the scope.  Go with a 40-42mm objective. 

This magnification range is quite versatile and is definitely sufficient for coyote hunting.

Can't comment on the gun as I do not own a ruger rifle at this point.  There are people here though who dislike Ruger heartily and those who would buy nothing else.  If your gun shoots well, don't listen to anyone.  If it does not shoot well, make sure that the barrel is free-floated and that the trigger is not too heavy.  Take it to a good gunsmith and see what he tells you.  There are many things that we tend to worry about, but that have zero relevance to performance in the field.  Here is what I would do: make sure that the trigger is adjusted for a crisp and consistent trigger pull of about 3.5lbs, make sure that the barrel is not touching the forend of the stock, try different ammo to see what shoots well, keep the gun clean and safe.  Beyond that, go hunting and enjoy yourself.

Ilya

Chris Farris View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/08/2004 at 11:40

I agree with koshkin.

Burris Fullfield II 4.5-14x42 Ballistic Plex with free 12-24x50 spotter.....$336.95

is a 44 better than a 50? cause of glare? Bigger is not always better and in your case the factory rings that came with the gun will not accommodate a 44-50mm.

is this enough magnification for coyotee? Yes, 4-16ish will be perfect for what you want the gun to do.

is the Ao really that important? Not that important for what you are doing but most scopes 4-12 and up come with one standard.

will my gun be perty accurate with this setup. should i consider like a monarch? or a vx2 leupold?  Yes it will be accurate with the

above mentioned scope or any of the ones you mention....assuming the rifle and you can shoot.

should i consider spending more? Not at this time.

M77 VT View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M77 VT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/10/2004 at 16:21

Hey, sorry i haven't been able to respond. everytime i login it still tells me i can't reply. well for some odd reason it let me. ( why any thoughts?) i've been doing a lot of reading sinci i last posted ( sorry for such big print my bad) well. heres what i've been thinking i still want a scope with a 44 or bigger objective lens, and AO but we'll see what happens. i'm still in the 330 or lower range.  no MORE. i'm on a strict budget ( i'm only 15) heres what i've come up with.

Nikon Buckmaster 4-12-44 or 50.

Weaver V-16 4-16-42

leupold vx1 4-12-40

Cabela's alaskan guide 4-12-50

and thats about it. i don't really like the looks of the weaver grandslam.  I would also like to know more about the cabelas alaskan guide, any ideas or facts are appreciated. which one of these scopes are the best. don't tell me burris with a free spotting scope. i don't like that. no hard facts, just it looks like crap and all my friends hate burris. ( their kinda ruough on their toys thougjh. not much tlc lol) . i would greatly appreciate people telling me what they think. i can't find any scope "shootouts".  also how do these scopes compare to their competition. any info is good thx

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/10/2004 at 17:06

Despite the fact that your friends do not like Burris, Fullfield II 4.5-14x42 is a better scope than any of the four you mentioned (you can buy it separately if an extra spotting scope bothers you).  Same goes for the Grand Slam, although I do not like the esthetics of it very much either.  Same goes for Sightron S2 (3-12x42AO and 3-12x50 are in your price range, I think).  If you are considering Nikon Buckmaster and Leupold VX-1 (a very overpriced scope by the way) you shoudl also take a look at Bushnell ELite 3200.  It is opticall similar to Buckmaster and better than VX1; however, it has Rainguard coating which can come in handy.  Elite 3200 5-15x50 with AO should be right up your alley.

If you are on a tight budget, it may make sense to scale back a little and get a higher quality scope of lower magnifiaction range.  You'll see better through it.

Ilya

M77 VT View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M77 VT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/10/2004 at 21:28

sightron i have never heard of. i dunno a whole lot about them. i don't really like the bushnell elite. i gave them a lot of thought. the burris is and ugly looking scope lol. How would u rate the weaver? usbiast?. i take it ur not much a nikon forum lol. thanks for the help.

also about the smaller magnification. there is no reason that i can't find a 4- 12 or bigger that isn't nice quality

M77 VT View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M77 VT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/10/2004 at 22:14

sorry guys, i might have come off in a bad way in my last post. sry bout that . i dunno i'm starting to get frusterated. lol every time i think i know the one i'm gonna buy theirs always somthing "new" and "better". i have a big gun show tomorrow that i'm going too. i figure that this would be the place to find my scope. i know its overpriced but it will still be nice. okey. sorry for the harsh post too. heres my lineup. with reasons!

Nikon buckmaster 4-12-44 or 50.

i have a nikon buckmaster 3-9-40 on my 22mag. super nice. all i will need. like the looks, and lenghth on the gun looks good.

Weaver V 16. 4-16-42.

I want a scope that will magnifye down to a small number for close coyotees but zoom in for the long shots. the looks are extremly well. and it is not very well known by my family.  unique. good rep from what i've heard.

Bushnell 5-15-50.

i put this one in cause i like the way it looks, and i would get a gear bag. the only problem is that someone said the 50 mm objective wouldn't fit with standered rings on the ruger. dunno why. its still a 1inch tube please help. i dunno if 5x would be small enough for the tight shots.

cabelas alaskan guide 4-12-50

Still waiting to hear any info on this. theres no way cabelas makes it. plus its probably not a crappy scope. cabelas doesn't want a bad name. help]

Sightron SI 2 4-12 or somthing -50

still waiting for a info. looks extremly nice. help.

thats about what i've got. still not wanting the burris right now. i know its a good deal. but i just don't want it.  I really like to have a scope with aO. it does make a difference. thanks again for everything. didn't meen to come off in a bad way earlier. by the way chris, i think that ur site has been extremly helpful in my purchasing a scope, and i know u probably have a "low price guruntee" well i figured i'd show u this site. i dunno if theres any hidden costs or such  but its just a better advertised price i believe.

http://www.discountfirearms.com 

Oh, i'm still sticking to my theory that a boy spending more than 330 is a waste on a scope. i agree if ur shooting targets but for a nice gun and scope there is no reason to spend more. Ps: does anybody else think that leupold are overpriced?

redneckbmxer24 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redneckbmxer24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/11/2004 at 08:56

burris FF2 4.5-14x42, and ruger sucks, any ruger.

cory

If guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns, I'll be only one of millions!!!
Guests View Drop Down
Non-Registered Visitor
Non-Registered Visitor
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/11/2004 at 11:17

Soapbox

Hey Cory!  Any Ruger sucks?  Bang Head

As a stock 6mm Remington, this one was shooting 5 shot 3/8" groups with a factory Barrel!!

That was with 55 grain Ballistic Tips going nearly 4100 FPS!  I used it for a spell with the factory barrel for F-Class competition using 95 grain BT's.  Then I burnt it out shooting PDogs at the VHA jamboree in 1998.  Sure I pillar bedded it, put a Timney Trigger in it and floated the barrel more, but the factory trigger can be tweaked like a remington, and almost all rifles need to be rebedded to shoot real well.

Many people discounted my rifle, until I kicked their ass on the line.  It's now wearing a Lilja #7 8 twist and is chambered in .243 AI.  I would put this rifle against any rifle in your battery.  When I burnt the barrel out, my buddies told me to sell it and buy a remington.  I have some Remingtons and they are great too, but why sell the Ruger?  I had already proven that the rifle could shoot better than I can, so it made sense that screwing on a good barrel would get similar results.  I haven't been disappointed yet.

So, all Rugers, DON'T suck. 

Dude!  Use your Ruger VT.  It'll work just fine.  Just pick a good scope and go.  Try one of the Bushnell Elites or a Nikon Monarch.  That Burris deal ain't bad, but that's probably one of the only scope besides USO and IOR I haven't used, so I can't say much about them.

Later! 

Edited by Riflman
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redneckbmxer24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/11/2004 at 11:23

the old ones are fine, but ALL the new ones are peices of crap, and i wouldnt take one if it was free, becuase i wouldnt trust it to not spontneously combust, or something... its a nice looking gun BTW.

cory

If guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns, I'll be only one of millions!!!
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redneckbmxer24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/11/2004 at 11:32

ohh, and regarding your posts M77, the burris is still the best scope among those, and will out preforme the other any day of the week, and the weaver... i absolutely hate weaver, the 3200, isnt very clear, the nikon buckmaster sucks, and the burris does have a A/O.... and your friends dont know what the hell they're talking about... jsut curious, what did they suggest you buy???

cory

Guests View Drop Down
Non-Registered Visitor
Non-Registered Visitor
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/11/2004 at 11:33
Cory.  PLEASE!  Take all the Rugers you can get and then send them to me.  I'll make good use out of it! :)
Guests View Drop Down
Non-Registered Visitor
Non-Registered Visitor
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/11/2004 at 11:40

I've never used a 3200, but the 4200's ROCK and are as clear as any Leupold for much less money.  I agree they are too long.  I have sent my 6-24 back to be outright replaced several times for bent tubes.  The objectives hang so far out from the front ring that almost any amount of bump on the bell will bend it.  I had one slide over from the center bench of my truck and bumpo against the plastic coated rubber on the door and that was enough to screw it up.  I really have to baby them.  Extenion rings are a good idea, but Bushnell would do wonders by adding a 30mm Tube, but this would make it even heavier and more expenisve.  It would add badly needed clicks to the elevation and windage though, which is only 26 MOA - 13 up and 13 down.

They make a 4-16 x 50 that's very sweet.  I haven't used anything lesser quality in the Nikon line than the Monarchs, which are all superb.  I have three and they are amazing.

I have Leupolds too, but I haven't bought a new one in a while and haven't tried the newest models with indexed lenses.  I have had several fail, just like the rest, but the warranty is hard to beat.

My next scope will likley be one of the elites with Firefly reticle.  Just because.

Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redneckbmxer24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/11/2004 at 11:43

yes, the 4200's are some sweet scopes, but i doubt they're clearer than a leupold LPS, and they're right there with the VXIII for less money. have you checked out the conquest line???

cory

Guests View Drop Down
Non-Registered Visitor
Non-Registered Visitor
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/11/2004 at 12:04

I don't think compring a $400 scope against a $1000 scope is very fair, but I doubt many people would be able to tell the difference and/or being willing to pay more for it.  There are a lot more reasons for owning a LPS than that. ;)

However, when comparing the elites against the Vari-X III's, the elites are as clear or clearer IMO, and all of my buddies who have argued against that point, quickly ate crow when viewing my elite at 6 against a Vari-X III at 6 with the same objective.  I have not tried the new indexed lens VX-III's yet though.... 

Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redneckbmxer24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/11/2004 at 12:27

well, i rank the VXIII, conquest, and 4200 all equally, and think one isnt better than the other, but for the money, the 4200 is the best. i wasnt compaing a 400$ scope to a $1k scope by any means, but i was jsut saying there is a leupold better than the 4200, but if im paying that prcie for a scope, a swaro is going on my gun. your buddies prbably argued against it, becuase they are leupold fans, and people will say whatever they have to to make there brand look liek its the best, and thats probably why, ive heard guys sya the leupold VXIII is better than the swaro's, when the swaro's are better than the LPS... its like craftsman tools re better than snap-on, and theres simply no way in the world that craftsman is anywhere near the quality of a snap-on.

cory

M77 VT View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M77 VT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/11/2004 at 14:50
okey. lol i'm now looking at the elite 3200 3-12- whatever. i still beg to differ on the ruger idea. i have shot one and love it. i'll put it up against anything in its price range. lol i don't get what sux so bad about weaver, and the buckmaster. lol opinions or facts. u guys all have to remeber that i'm not shooting thousand yard targets, or trying to shoot a serial number off a off a skoal can. i just want an accurate scope to shoot coyotee's, and some cans at a far range. i want to hit pigions off of fense posts. more of a farmer type of snynopsis than an extreme target shooter. i'm not spending more than 330.  i just want a clear scope, that can somewhat hold its own in lowlight conditions.
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redneckbmxer24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/11/2004 at 14:53

anything in its price range??? i can think of more guns than i have in my arsenal that will outshoot it.

cory

M77 VT View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M77 VT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/11/2004 at 15:50

like what? it doesn't matter cause every ruger rifle i have shoots almost perfect for what i need. its well balenced, and consistantly shoots groups that i'm extremly happy with. anyway. thanks for the comment any others are useful

owell. i need a scope. did anybody chek out the website i posted? its got fairly good prices. might want to chek it out. i would probably buy from this site anyway.

Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redneckbmxer24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/11/2004 at 16:01

no, this is a riflescopes.com website, and they have the best prices i have found, and advertising otherwebsites on this forum is kind of rude if you ask me... but thats just my opinion... on the other note, ill be willing to bet jsut about any savage will outshoot that ruger, well, the heavy barrel ones atleast, and they cost far less... as for the scope, you should seriously look at the FF2. the leupold VXII 6-18x40 also would be a good choice.

cory

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic