OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Kahles really that good?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guesty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Kahles really that good?
    Posted: April/27/2008 at 16:59
On the strength of the enthusiasm for Kahles scopes on this very forum, I've just ordered a Helia CL 4-12x52 4A MZ. I'm looking forward to receiving it, but am wondering how good it's optics will really be. My current scope lineup looks like this:

Swarovski PV 4-16x50
Zeiss Conquest 6-20x50
Burris SigSel 4-16x44
Weaver Tactical 4-14.5x44
Bushnell Elite 6-24x40 SF

The above list is in optical clarity order, best at the top according to my eyes.
Where would the Kahles fit in?

lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/27/2008 at 17:09
The Swarovski can stay, everyone else must move down to provide room for the Kahles.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/27/2008 at 17:51
Originally posted by lucytuma lucytuma wrote:

The Swarovski can stay, everyone else must move down to provide room for the Kahles.

Very well said by the cheese head!Cool
rkingston View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rkingston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/27/2008 at 18:00
I would also put it at number 2 on your list. I just bought the same scope in a plex version and I would say it runs a close second to my Swarovski PH 2.5-10X56 and definitely better than either of my Leupolds.
TheDrakeTaker View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheDrakeTaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/27/2008 at 19:16
It belongs beside the swaro or above it.  Your eyes will decide.  Enjoy.
Robert
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/27/2008 at 19:55

Guesty, I agree with the consensus so far.  I would definitely place the Kahles above the Conquest, but whether it's below, above, or equal to the Swaro PV is something that you'll have to decide for yourself, because they're very close and different eyes will disagree on which is better.  One thing's for certain, it's a very fine scope.

Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Guesty View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guesty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/28/2008 at 03:47
Thanks for the info guys.
The Swaro was £840 (~$1650), so I was expecting it to stay at the top. I think that the Zeiss ($700 US import) is excellent for the money, and noticeable better than those below it. If the Kahles is somewhere inbetween the two, and maybe nearer the top, then I'll be very pleased.
pell1203 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pell1203 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/29/2008 at 01:04
Guesty,

You will not be dissappointed in the least with the Kahles glass. I'd also place it just below the Swaro... I own the same scope you bought and have been very pleased. The Multizero is a really neat option but it does limit you to one revolution of up adjustment once you engage the feature before you run into the back end of the preset stop.

I zeroed my scope at 100 yards but fell just a couple of clicks short of being able to adjust elevation out to 600 yards. It is mounted on a .308 Rem 700 SS 5R MILSPEC. One last thing, the scope specification states 0.25 inch per click at 100 yards. I've confirmed mine is doing 0.3 inch per click instead. Not sure if all are like that, but the information may be useful to you when sighting in.
Guesty View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guesty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/2008 at 15:48
Originally posted by pell1203 pell1203 wrote:

Guesty,

You will not be dissappointed in the least with the Kahles glass. I'd also place it just below the Swaro... I own the same scope you bought and have been very pleased. The Multizero is a really neat option but it does limit you to one revolution of up adjustment once you engage the feature before you run into the back end of the preset stop.

I zeroed my scope at 100 yards but fell just a couple of clicks short of being able to adjust elevation out to 600 yards. It is mounted on a .308 Rem 700 SS 5R MILSPEC. One last thing, the scope specification states 0.25 inch per click at 100 yards. I've confirmed mine is doing 0.3 inch per click instead. Not sure if all are like that, but the information may be useful to you when sighting in.

Thats great info, thanks for your help.
meat head View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote meat head Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2008 at 18:16
hi fellersHowdyis this kalles a better scope than leupold an millet
?thanks
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2008 at 18:19
Originally posted by meat head meat head wrote:

hi fellersHowdyis this kalles a better scope than leupold an millet
?thanks

Uhh... to put it mildly, yes.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
mercenary1947 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mercenary1947 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2008 at 18:20
Shocked   ......   Laugh%20Above   ..... millet can't even get near ....
One Shot One Kill .... *S.O.F * Head Shots Only
               SWFAM
CWPINST View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CWPINST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2008 at 22:44
Leupold can't get close either.  Now, the Elite 4200......different story.  It is pretty close to the Swarovski 4-16.  I have both and I was surprised at just how well the 4200 compared to the Swarov.  Yes the Swarov. is a bit sharper, has a wider FOV and is slightly better at 45 min. after sunset, but the 4200 is absolutely EXCELLENT for the money.
If it ain't accurate at long distance, the fact that it is flat shooting is irrelevant.
Guesty View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guesty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/05/2008 at 04:26
Originally posted by Guesty Guesty wrote:

On the strength of the enthusiasm for Kahles scopes on this very forum, I've just ordered a Helia CL 4-12x52 4A MZ. I'm looking forward to receiving it, but am wondering how good it's optics will really be. My current scope lineup looks like this:

Swarovski PV 4-16x50
Zeiss Conquest 6-20x50
Burris SigSel 4-16x44
Weaver Tactical 4-14.5x44
Bushnell Elite 6-24x40 SF

The above list is in optical clarity order, best at the top according to my eyes.
Where would the Kahles fit in?

UPDATE:
I received the Kahles and I'm sad to say I wasn't impressed with it, so much so that I've already sold it.
To my eyes, the Zeiss was appreciably sharper with better resolution and a nicer colour balance. The Swarovski was in another league entirely. This is the second Kahles I've tried, the other being a CL 3-10x50 MZ Plex, and I wasn't impressed with that either. I guess my eyes simply don't appreciate the Kahles image. I think I'll stick to Zeiss Conquests for the mid range stuff from now on.

bricat View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bricat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/05/2008 at 06:25
Guesty, I know that we are in the minority, but I have to agree with you. I bought a Kahles CL last year and was also disappointed. With all the Kahles hype I thought that this scope would be the answer to everything. Like you, I also liked my Zeiss conquest better. Oh well, we'll let the other guys spend the extra money!
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/05/2008 at 06:28
i think there must be something wrong with your eyes cause i would take my 4200 against the conquest and i have played with the kahles kx and it was a way better scope than my 4200 is, so i cant imgine the cl not being a better scope than the kx also, but im not you guys and im not looking at the world with your eyes either
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/05/2008 at 08:22
Originally posted by Guesty Guesty wrote:

Originally posted by pell1203 pell1203 wrote:

Guesty,

Thats great info, thanks for your help.
 According to the specs on the Helia CL 3x10 50mm I just purchased, the clicks are equal to one tenth of a mil radian or .36 inches at 100 yards, which from what I understand is not unusual for a Euro scope.  No problem as long as you know what your clicks are doing.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic