OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Reloading & Ballistics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Best target for Nosler Partitions

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Author
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2008 at 17:09
8, I'm very happy to hear that you found a load your rifle likes!  Good luck on your upcoming hunts!
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2008 at 18:10
Well here's my .02. The partition bullets were designed for deep penetration of large game and still give decent expansion (something I read somewhere). I don't think accuracy was the prime concern of the design. I don't know how the bullet is made, but it seems to me that with the partition of jacket material between the two lead cores would be difficult to swage consistantly. There is to great of a chance for voids or varying jacket thickness, which could cause the of the bullet to vary from one side to another. This would cause the bullet to be out of balance as it spins in flight (like a tire out of balance) and have a negative effect on accuracy. This is my theory, and it may explain why you had a good group (everything was balanced), and why your other groups have negative preassure.
I think the partitions were intended for large tough skinned animals at ranges less than 200yds. Just my theory.
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
RONK View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2008 at 19:49
Originally posted by BeltFed BeltFed wrote:

Well here's my .02. The partition bullets were designed for deep penetration of large game and still give decent expansion (something I read somewhere). I don't think accuracy was the prime concern of the design. I don't know how the bullet is made, but it seems to me that with the partition of jacket material between the two lead cores would be difficult to swage consistantly. There is to great of a chance for voids or varying jacket thickness, which could cause the of the bullet to vary from one side to another. This would cause the bullet to be out of balance as it spins in flight (like a tire out of balance) and have a negative effect on accuracy. This is my theory, and it may explain why you had a good group (everything was balanced), and why your other groups have negative preassure.
I think the partitions were intended for large tough skinned animals at ranges less than 200yds. Just my theory.

Generally true, Beltfed.
 Even Nosler states that the Partition is usually not as accurate in most rifles as the Ballistic Tips, etc, although they don't normally go south as badly as they did in this case, either.
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2008 at 21:27
Originally posted by RONK RONK wrote:

Originally posted by BeltFed BeltFed wrote:

Generally true, Beltfed.
 Even Nosler states that the Partition is usually not as accurate in most rifles as the Ballistic Tips, etc, although they don't normally go south as badly as they did in this case, either.

8shots  got either the first or last of a bad lot of bullets. You got a lot of rot in that lot and it don't agree with that riflePukersit not.
Hey 8shots you can sell those Noslers for shootin chargin buffabears or rinogators, jus tellum ta shootum up close so they get the full eefect.BS%20Flag
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
Mojo View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman
All Mojo

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2008 at 17:19
Hey 8 shots.....if you have any of those Noslers left, sent them across the pond to me!  I'll trade you one for one, with some of those absolutely worthless, pieces of dog crap, Barnes XBT's, that fly through the air like a Timberdoodle,  from my rifle barrel.    You probably have some of those birds down in South Africa....They are migratory.

Mojo
MOJO
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2008 at 20:00
Originally posted by Mojo Mojo wrote:

Hey 8 shots.....if you have any of those Noslers left, sent them across the pond to me!  I'll trade you one for one, with some of those absolutely worthless, pieces of dog crap, Barnes XBT's, that fly through the air like a Timberdoodle,  from my rifle barrel.    You probably have some of those birds down in South Africa....They are migratory.

Mojo

That's funny, Mojo. I can vouch for the flight path of a woodcock..................very erratic.

Mojo View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman
All Mojo

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2008 at 20:21
Don't forget your Federal Duck Stamp before you start shooting at them Tahqua! 

Mojo
MOJO
Mojo View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman
All Mojo

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2008 at 20:23
P.S.  Shotguns work better for woodcock than rifles unless you can shoot like pyro.
MOJO
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2008 at 20:26

P.S.  Shotguns work better for woodcock than rifles unless you can shoot like pyro.
touche!! i do not own a scatter gun
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Mojo View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman
All Mojo

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2008 at 20:38
So that is why you shoot so good pyro.....you are forced to!  No scattergun.  Keep away from those 12 guage mags if you are recoil shy.

Mojo 
MOJO
tahqua View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/09/2008 at 08:18
Originally posted by pyro6999 pyro6999 wrote:

I thought you had an M77Devil
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/09/2008 at 14:42
Originally posted by tahqua tahqua wrote:

Originally posted by pyro6999 pyro6999 wrote:

I thought you had an M77Devil
ouch doug! my m77 is an anomally though she shoots very well in the .280rem
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Mojo View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman
All Mojo

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/09/2008 at 16:25

I do not believe that I could come up with what Doug just came up with, on my best day!  Talk about a lightning bolt from the blue! 

And if pyro would start using those 160 grain Nosler Partitions in his .280, instead of those Jim Carmichael .140's, he might have something good.

mojo 

MOJO
tahqua View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/09/2008 at 16:49
I was joking only to an extent. I have a bunch of Rugers, but only have one 77 left.  A standard 30.06 and Ultra Light in .270 were pretty bad no matter what I stoked them with. I only keep my 77 in .22WMR because it gets pretty good accuracy and is a coyote gun for after dark when centerfire is illegal in Michigan. Sorry to deviate from our friend from South Africa's O.P.
Regarding the Partitions, I just picked up a box of 7mm 160's and will report on them later in the summer. I figured I would give them a try knowing of other bad experiences besides 8shots.
If they don't shoot for me maybe Pyro can send them down his .280 M77 with good results. Rifledude and others here have commented on their accuracy issues for some time, also. If they do shoot good, they are a bargain considering the terminal performance they are noted for.

Doug

Mojo View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman
All Mojo

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/09/2008 at 17:15
I will not argue accuracy as far as partitions vs ballistic tips, but then again I am using a heavy load of IMR 7828,  to up my velocities.  Groups are within 1 1/2" for me.  I am using the Combined Technology bullets (Winchester and Nosler) "moly free" variety, that is engineered slightly differently than Noslers alone.  Appears to be an improvement on the weight retention end from what I know.  I have no knowledge that they may have improved accuracy.  Ted or Dale would probably have more insiders knowledge than me.

At just under 2900 fps, I would have no problems using this for elk, as long as I took broadside shots.  That Partition will do its job.  When I'm after those rather large Canadian Whitetails this fall, that average 250+, I'll be glad to have them.

mojo
MOJO
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/09/2008 at 20:20
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/09/2008 at 20:21
why do i need to shoot anything other than a sierra 140gr pro hunter again?? 1.5" group?? out of a ruger m77 mkII no less?? wtf???
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Mojo View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman
All Mojo

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/09/2008 at 21:35
Jack O'Connor used 130 grain bullets on elk, and look and see what you think of that, but 140's out of a .280 are okay?  Not much difference between those two.  I'll take the heavier bullet weights for larger animals.  Just my humble opinion

mojo
MOJO
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/09/2008 at 21:42
i shot elk with 150gr out of a 30-06 i wouldnt be affraid to shoot them with the 140 out of the .280 either. 130gr bullet was what the .270 was designed to shoot and if i were a .270 type of person i would fear using it on elk either. my bro in law killed a wyoming bull moose at 150yds with a single 130gr .270 bullet. placement trumps weight in my book, bad shot with a heavier bullet is still a bad shot.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Mojo View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman
All Mojo

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/09/2008 at 21:51
150 grain Nosler Partition out of that .270, just like the 30:06 pyro.  Jack O'Connor, whom I was reading before you were born (your father too) proving that I am an old fart like Ed, preached bullet placement was the key, and made a damn good living out of it. 

That is it for me tonight, pyro....the brown trout are looking to jump into my creel early tomorrow morning, and I need my beauty sleep

Mojo
MOJO
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
  Share Topic