OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Reloading & Ballistics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Best target for Nosler Partitions

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
Author
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/09/2008 at 21:54
actually my dad is only 3yrs younger than you are, so your not that old yet!!! walleye and northern opens here at 00:01 in the morning no thanks!
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Mojo View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman
All Mojo

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/09/2008 at 22:00
Just a tad chilly for tomorrow morning according to the weather channel.  Don't blame you.
MOJO
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/09/2008 at 22:01
i havent bought a license in 2yrs to busy shooting and working i didnt even play a round of golf last year either. and unlike most minnesotans i dont own a boat.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/09/2008 at 23:38
Originally posted by Mojo Mojo wrote:

....the brown trout are looking to jump into my creel early tomorrow morning

Be sure and post some pics!
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Mojo View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman
All Mojo

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/10/2008 at 17:38
Sorry Ted...nothing worth posting pix.  I caught six but 4 went back in...too small.  Our streams have been too high and dirty for optimum results.   Got a good walk in though.  Saw Canadian Honkers, turkeys, heard rooster pheasants cackle, saw wood duck, saw mallards, saw lots of deer sign, and a treat to see goldfinches and a Baltimore oriole to top the day. 

mojo
MOJO
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/10/2008 at 17:41
Originally posted by Mojo Mojo wrote:

Sorry Ted...nothing worth posting pix.  I caught six but 4 went back in...too small.  Our streams have been too high and dirty for optimum results.   Got a good walk in though.  Saw Canadian Honkers, turkeys, heard rooster pheasants cackle, saw wood duck, saw mallards, saw lots of deer sign, and a treat to see goldfinches and a Baltimore oriole to top the day. 

mojo

It was a very worthwhile outing then!Big%20Grin
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/10/2008 at 18:55
there is only a couple of things i can think of thats better than reeling in a german brown, the first is reeling in a rainbow trout, and certainly even better still is reeling in the brook trout what a fighter they are.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
RONK View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/10/2008 at 19:49
 I think wild brookies are about the prettiest fish that swims.
Mojo View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman
All Mojo

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/11/2008 at 09:53
Especially in their fall spawning colors, and can be found for RONK in his backyard (almost)!

mojo
MOJO
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/11/2008 at 10:32

The%20brook%20trout.there you go fellas, i caught a lot of them in wyoming

growing up there had its advantages.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/11/2008 at 13:04

Now I've got a strong urge to take a few days off and go trout fishing!
 It's really unfortunate that I'm the worst fisherman on the planet...
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/11/2008 at 13:12
im so burned out on trout, i couldnt ever eat them they tasted so muddy like the water they swim in i cant stand eating fish never have been able to.i like to catch and release, maybe snap a picture or too, mostly its a nice break from life.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/11/2008 at 13:50
Best target for a Partition is..............

Mojo View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman
All Mojo

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/11/2008 at 21:12
Is that a 14 pointer,  or more?  One hell of a nice Saskatschewan buck.  What was the weight of that brute?

Mojo  
MOJO
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/11/2008 at 22:16
It is a 14 and on a meat scale it was just over 240. 

Roy
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/12/2008 at 06:32
That's one helluva nice buck, Roy!  When and where did you kill him?
Ted

Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/12/2008 at 13:17
2001 in Mistatim Sask. I didn't really want to post that pic, but I probaly won't be going back with that outfitter. The son runs the operation now and he is somewhat difficult to get along with and he caters to people with lots more $$ if you know what I mean.  Downside is that there are alot of really big bucks in that area and I know for a fact that there are even bigger than the one in the pic I posted. It's cold as a MFer up there to boot. I've hunted in weather down to -26F degree's and that was at the height of the day.

Roy

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/12/2008 at 20:50
-26 is opening morning where i hunt from time to time, you just dress for it, helps that im used to the cold lived in it for almost 30yrs now i wouldnt know what to do without snow on the ground and the mercury around 0 during deer season.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2008 at 23:23
Originally posted by BeltFed BeltFed wrote:

Originally posted by RONK RONK wrote:

Originally posted by BeltFed BeltFed wrote:

Well here's my .02. The partition bullets were designed for deep penetration of large game and still give decent expansion (something I read somewhere). I don't think accuracy was the prime concern of the design. I don't know how the bullet is made, but it seems to me that with the partition of jacket material between the two lead cores would be difficult to swage consistantly. There is to great of a chance for voids or varying jacket thickness, which could cause the of the bullet to vary from one side to another. This would cause the bullet to be out of balance as it spins in flight (like a tire out of balance) and have a negative effect on accuracy. This is my theory, and it may explain why you had a good group (everything was balanced), and why your other groups have negative preassure.
I think the partitions were intended for large tough skinned animals at ranges less than 200yds. Just my theory.

Generally true, Beltfed.

Even Nosler states that the Partition is usually not as accurate in most rifles as the Ballistic Tips, etc, although they don't normally go south as badly as they did in this case, either.

8shots  got either the first or last of a bad lot of bullets. You got a lot of rot in that lot and it don't agree with that riflePukersit not.

Hey 8shots you can sell those Noslers for shootin chargin buffabears or rinogators, jus tellum ta shootum up close so they get the full eefect.BS%20Flag

Except for my 458 Lott, I have used Nosler Patitions in every rifle I have. Always good grouping, but as you said, not as good as the ballistic tips. Really rough on a deer's pump station, too. Never fired one at anything, other than paper, beyond 120yds, though.
Mojo View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman
All Mojo

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/20/2008 at 20:14
Nosler Partitions are made to kill stuff, not punch holes in paper!  Bottom Line!

Mojo
MOJO
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
  Share Topic