OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Scope and rings have arrived.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glocklover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Scope and rings have arrived.
    Posted: April/25/2008 at 15:07
I just recieved my Weaver v1-3x20 from SWFA yesterday.  The scope was very well packaged in a shipping box about 4 or 5 times the size of the scope.  It was well protected with a large amount of styrofoam "popcorn".  The scope looks very nice for the price.  It is made in Japan.  The glass appears to be very clear and bright and after focusing the reticle, it looked good too.  There appears to be very minimal distortion around the edge of the lenses, but it's not very noticeable.  Near the middle of the scope was what appeared to be a scratch at first, however, upon closer examination turned out to be a very small strip of rubbery material that peeled right off. The overall finish looks really nice to me.  Also in the box were the Weaver Grand Slam 1" medium rings.  These were made in China.  The matte finish could have been a little more consistent, along with the machining, but minus these two small flaws, they will still get the job done.  The other problem I encountered with the rings, was that one of the 4 torx screws used to attach the upper part of the rings to the lower part was about 1/4 the size of the other 3.  I called SWFA, but they didn't have any extra.  The young man I talked to gave me the phone number for ATK, so I called them.  The young lady their took my address and said I should recieve another torx screw within about 7 days.  None of these issues were a big deal to me.  SWFA shipped my order promptly, and it arrived quickly.  The Weaver Grand Slam bases came from Brownells.  These were made in the U.S. and looked very nice.  The machining and finish were flawless.  I've got everything mounted (temporarily) on my Marlin 1894c .357 lever action minus the one torx screw.  With this setup, I had to mount the scope as far forward as possible to get the correct eye relief, but it came out just right.  Set at 1x, the barell and front sight take up about the bottom third or fourth of the scope, but it doesn't really bother me.  From 1.5 to 2.5 the front sight is just a blur at the bottom of the sight picture.  At 3x, the front sight dissapears.  I think this is going to be a decent setup.  After my torx screw arrives and I get everything on tight, I'll take her out and get her sighted in and have another report for you guys.  Just keep in mind all the previous info. is coming from a newbie, and I don't have expeirience with the fancy, higher priced scopes.Smile
NRA lifetime member
Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/25/2008 at 15:09
Pic's we need pic's
P&Z Firearms , Pro gun cleanings and gun repair and wood refinishing.

Ecclesiastes 10:2
Glocklover View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glocklover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/25/2008 at 15:19
Originally posted by Bigdaddy0381 Bigdaddy0381 wrote:

Pic's we need pic's

I promise I'll get pics up at some point.  I'm on dial up, so it takes forever to upload photos to my photo-bucket acct.   I'll get some pics this weekend and try to get a couple up, with more to follow.Smile
NRA lifetime member
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/25/2008 at 18:47
You may email them to me and I'll post them for you using my photo bucket account.
cheaptrick@carolina.rr.com
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/25/2008 at 19:45

I still believe the V1-3 scope is one of the best scopes Weaver has to offer, just my 2 cents.

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glocklover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/30/2008 at 11:33
Sorry guys, life got busy.  I'll try to get pics up soon.  The torx screw hasn't arrived from ATK yet.  I'm sure it will be here within a few days.
NRA lifetime member
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/30/2008 at 11:39
No%20Pics
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
Average Joe View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Average Joe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/30/2008 at 14:07
Ditto
I'm classic shag nasty type.
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/30/2008 at 20:01
HEY!! It's a WEAVER!!!   Good boy!!  You can buy seventeen of them for the price of one of them new-fangled Leupold (Wannabe-Euro) Scopes!!!  Wink      --Ed 
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glocklover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2008 at 20:40
I'm starting to get a little discouraged.  I'm still waiting on my torx screw.  I've called ATK three times.  The initial time to let them know what the problem was and to provide my address.  The second time, I called just to check on the status and they said they sent the screw out on the 28th.  The third time I called was yesterday.  She looked up my information and said that they had actually sent an entire new set of rings. .She said that according to my zip code they should have arrived either yesterday or today.  Still no sign.  Patients was never my strong suit, but it's been 13 days since I first contacted them and I still have not recieved my torx screw.  I'll live, but I'm anxious to get out and get her sighted in already.Whacko
NRA lifetime member
mercenary1947 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mercenary1947 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/09/2008 at 23:21
Originally posted by Ed Connelly Ed Connelly wrote:

HEY!! It's a WEAVER!!!   Good boy!!  You can buy seventeen of them for the price of one of them new-fangled Leupold (Wannabe-Euro) Scopes!!!  Wink      --Ed 

Totally agree ED the prices on the new leu's are ridiculous .
One Shot One Kill .... *S.O.F * Head Shots Only
               SWFAM
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glocklover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/13/2008 at 09:03
Finally got my torx screw a couple of days ago.  They did in fact send an entire new set of Weaver Grand Slam Rings!  I got everything mounted and tightened down.  Hopefully this Sunday I'll get to the range to get it sighted in.  I got her as level as I could and hopefully she's just right, but I'll be sure and take the torx wrench just in case she needs a little adjusting.  I will have pictures at some point.  I'll take the camera with me when I go to the range and snap some pics there too. Sorry this is taking so long.Big%20Smile
NRA lifetime member
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glocklover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/28/2008 at 09:37

I purchased a Marlin 1894c in .357 mag. about two months ago, and finally got to the range to get her sighted in. She has a checkered walnut stock, an 18&1/2" barrel, and a usable set of open sights. I mounted a Weaver 1-3x20 in Weaver md. rings on Weaver Grand Slam bases. Ideally, the mounts would have allowed another 1/4 inch of forward movement for the scope, but it works. Rested on sandbags,and with the scope set on 3x, I got her sighted in at 50 yds. with American Eagle 158 JSP. ammo. After sighting in, I was able to get 2&1/2 inch grps. consistently at that distance. Keep in mind, this is not target ammo, and I don't claim to be a good, let alone great rifleman. All groups stayed right in the bullseye area of the target with no noticable vertical or horizontal stringing. Overall, I was quite pleased with her. Set at 1x, the front sight is clearly visible in the bottom of the third of the scope, and set at 3x, the front sight is a very small insignificant blurr at the bottom of the field of view. After shooting the first few rnds of the session, I paused to do something, and then returned to shooting only to get a click. I looked at the shell, and sure enough, a light primer strike presented itself. Then another, and another. Great, a new rifle, and I already broke her. Just then, I happened to look down and see the safety on safe where I had left it a few minutes earlier After putting 50 rnds. through her, I went to shoot my carry piece, and then returned home. Dissasembly for the Marlin is extremely simple, and she cleaned up easy. Next trip will involve some offhand shooting at various distances.
(Sorry this took so long guys.Clown)
NRA lifetime member
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mercenary1947 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/28/2008 at 10:27
 Glocklover ... great they sent a whole set of rings ! Mosey  into a gun shop some day and you can probably get that same exact screw for  a few cents ... then you'll have 2 complete sets !
               SWFAM
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mercenary1947 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/28/2008 at 10:38
 Well I finally got that new digital camera out to post some darn pics .... my son talked me into a newer better one than my old one I just gave to my grand-daughter . Man I had it so screwed up ... 200 settings ... screen goin nuts ... he flicks through it like nothing ! Why oh why did I do it ?    Cencored   .....  I feel like an old dumb*ss ... I probaly am . I think the grand-daughter could do better ....  LOL  I should have known ... could never get the timer on a lousey vcr to work correctly .... my old 35mm SLR was child's play compared to this baby . Man there must be 200 screens popping up on this one . I've got it all screwed up ... he's gonna have to come up here and give me lessons or glue the right settings down ... 
LOL   Ouch

Edited by mercenary1947 - June/28/2008 at 10:44
               SWFAM
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glocklover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/28/2008 at 11:22
Originally posted by mercenary1947 mercenary1947 wrote:

Glocklover ... great they sent a whole set of rings ! Mosey  into a gun shop some day and you can probably get that same exact screw for  a few cents ... then you'll have 2 complete sets !

I was thinking of getting another 1894 in 44 mag and using one ring to mount an Aimpoint on it.  Different, I know, but I think it would be pretty cool.Smile
NRA lifetime member
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glocklover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/28/2008 at 11:26
Originally posted by mercenary1947 mercenary1947 wrote:

Well I finally got that new digital camera out to post some darn pics .... my son talked me into a newer better one than my old one I just gave to my grand-daughter . Man I had it so screwed up ... 200 settings ... screen goin nuts ... he flicks through it like nothing ! Why oh why did I do it ?    Cencored   .....  I feel like an old dumb*ss ... I probaly am . I think the grand-daughter could do better ....  LOL  I should have known ... could never get the timer on a lousey vcr to work correctly .... my old 35mm SLR was child's play compared to this baby . Man there must be 200 screens popping up on this one . I've got it all screwed up ... he's gonna have to come up here and give me lessons or glue the right settings down ... 
LOL   Ouch

I know what you mean.  My wife takes care of setting all, and I mean all electronic equipment.  Me no touchee.Smile 
NRA lifetime member
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic