OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Scope Help - Kahles CL v. Swaro AV

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweepthelegjonny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Scope Help - Kahles CL v. Swaro AV
    Posted: April/24/2008 at 22:12
New to the forum, but have been lurking for a while. I am looking to get a new scope for one of my hunting rifles. I have read enough of the topics, comments and opinions to confuse myself even more than I already was. In any event, the info. on this board is fantastic and I need a little "nudge" in the right direction.

Rifle Candidate: Weatherby Mk V Accumark in .30-06

Hunting terrain: Wyoming: Elk and muleys; Alaska: everything but the big browns; CA: black bear, coastal deer and wild boar.

Typical Hunting/Shooting range: 150 to 400 yds.

The scopes I am looking at are the Kahles CL 3-10x50 with the MultiZero and the Swarovski AV 3-10x42 (TDS-Plex or BR Reticle). While I am not wild about a 50mm for hunting, I have heard great things about the Kahles optics and am intrigued by the multizero. How does it compare with the lower level Swarovski AV? I want to make sure that I get the best optics, durability and quality for the price and avoid getting the Swarovsky because the average hunter thinks they are the best (they might be as everyone I've shot with is outstanding).   

Price is not much of an issue as I would like to stay under $1200 and don't mind if one is a little pricier than the other. However, I want to avoid taking the jump up to the next price category for the uber-expensive scopes.

Any comments, opinions, recommendations and/or insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

STJ
sweepthelegjonny View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweepthelegjonny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/24/2008 at 22:41
All of my other scopes are Leupold Vari-X III's and wanted to step it up on the new one.

New scope will be mounted with Talley QD rings and bases with Brockman pop up peep.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/24/2008 at 23:04
Welcome, sweepthelegjonny!

Flip a coin; they're both great, and both have essentially the same optics as their 30mm siblings.  If you don't want a 50mm objective, get the Swaro.  I have one, and it's a great scope!  I also have a Kahles CL, but not in that power range, and it too is wonderful.  The two lines are so close optically that it would be difficult for me to make a call on which is better.  The Kahles has wider FOV; the Swaro is lighter and more slender.  If you like side focus parallax adjustment, the Kahles CL has it.  Personally, this isn't a feature I particularly want in a general purpose hunting scope.  I would also look at the Kahles KX, which is very similar to the CL, but without the side focus, and it's less expensive.  Don't overlook the Zeiss Conquest either.  I don't think it's quite as good optically as the Swaro and Kahles, but it's very good!
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/24/2008 at 23:20
Originally posted by RifleDude RifleDude wrote:

Welcome, sweepthelegjonny!

Flip a coin; they're both great, and both have essentially the same optics as their 30mm siblings.  If you don't want a 50mm objective, get the Swaro.  I have one, and it's a great scope!  I also have a Kahles CL, but not in that power range, and it too is wonderful.  The two lines are so close optically that it would be difficult for me to make a call on which is better.  The Kahles has wider FOV; the Swaro is lighter and more slender.  If you like side focus parallax adjustment, the Kahles CL has it.  Personally, this isn't a feature I particularly want in a general purpose hunting scope.  I would also look at the Kahles KX, which is very similar to the CL, but without the side focus, and it's less expensive.  Don't overlook the Zeiss Conquest either.  I don't think it's quite as good optically as the Swaro and Kahles, but it's very good!

Excellent advise!! Thunbs%20Up
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/25/2008 at 11:47
I have (had) both. I recently sold the Kahles because I don't much like side focus parallax adjustment on typical hunting rifles. Optically, they are both wonderful. You couldn't go wrong with either. BTW, I'm informed that Swaro no longer has the TDS reticle. There are still some new ones floating around, but you may need to check out their Ballistic reticle instead if that's the type you are interested in.
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
Chris Farris II View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/25/2008 at 12:51
Originally posted by bugsNbows bugsNbows wrote:

I have (had) both. I recently sold the Kahles because I don't much like side focus parallax adjustment on typical hunting rifles. Optically, they are both wonderful. You couldn't go wrong with either. BTW, I'm informed that Swaro no longer has the TDS reticle. There are still some new ones floating around, but you may need to check out their Ballistic reticle instead if that's the type you are interested in.

Correct the TDS is now discontinued. As for which scope is better it's a toss up can't go wrong with either own both currently although my Swaro is a 3-9. Very close! Juggle
One day your life will flash before your eyes; Make sure it's worth watching.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweepthelegjonny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/25/2008 at 13:10
Thanks for the great insight and advice...it is appreciated.

Good point on the side focus parallax adjustment...don't really need, or want, that. I guess I could go to the CS 2.5-10 with MultiZero at a few more bucks or if I can't find the TDS reticle I could go with the the Swaro AV 4-12 with ballistic turret.

mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/25/2008 at 14:39
Originally posted by sweepthelegjonny sweepthelegjonny wrote:

Thanks for the great insight and advice...it is appreciated.

Good point on the side focus parallax adjustment...don't really need, or want, that. I guess I could go to the CS 2.5-10 with MultiZero at a few more bucks or if I can't find the TDS reticle I could go with the the Swaro AV 4-12 with ballistic turret.

You can still find the Swaro AV with TDS out there. Some on this site like the BR reticle better. If you go with the ballistic turret, it only comes in the plex reticle.

“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/25/2008 at 16:15
can i hijack this thread for a second?? why buy a weatherby rifle in a non weatherby caliber??? the 30-06 is no doubt an all time great but why spend more just cause it says weatherby on the side, when you could buy somebody else's rifle and save that extra money on optics or ammo or reloading supplies etc????? if you want a weatherby get a 7mm wby or a 270wby
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweepthelegjonny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/25/2008 at 16:38
lol...no problem. The answer is simple: Weatherby makes a great rifle no matter what the caliber. If you are not familiar with weatherby, the Mk. V action is superb and the fit and finish on their rifles is great for a non-custom. A little pricier, but worth it in my opinion.

As for the .30-06....I like the caliber. Last time I checked it killed animals pretty darn well and they are still dead. And, importantly, I stay away from calibers that are difficult to find in remote locations. My rule is that if I can't find the caliber and bullet weight my rifle is sighted in for at the local sporting good shop in towns like Lander, WY, Eden, UT or Haines, AK, then I stay away from them. The reason: if your ammo doesn't make it to your destination, you better be able to buy (or borrow) some in a hurry. You can find .30-06 any where in the world.

As for the type of people that love wildcat calibers and the new flattest shooting rounds....I feel those are more important for benchrest work. When hunting where typical shots are 100-350 yards....the usual suspects (.30-06, .270, .338, .375, etc.) work just fine. Sure there are flatter, faster and harder hitting rounds, but just not that much of a benefit in my book when it comes to hunting medium sized game.

SLJ

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/25/2008 at 16:45
you know i was born an raised in wyoming just over the mountains from lander, and so i am very familiar with wyoming, i just was curious, and i wont disagree that the 30-06 isnt enough, ive killed a critter or two with one myself. just had to ask
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweepthelegjonny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/25/2008 at 18:36
no worries....Wyoming is a great place with great people. I'll be in Lander this October (with my weatherby .30-06) for Elk.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/25/2008 at 18:54
i always cringed when i saw california tags in wyoming in october, some of them are real idiots.

good luck
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweepthelegjonny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/25/2008 at 19:04
lol...thanks for the kind words. Funny, I cringe when I get out there and see drunk rednecks with firearms.

Not to worry though...I will have wyoming plates!!! lol.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/25/2008 at 19:05
i wouldnt worry about the drunk cowboys, its the meth head roughnecks you gotta watch for.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/25/2008 at 19:09
Originally posted by pyro6999 pyro6999 wrote:

i wouldnt worry about the drunk cowboys, its the meth head roughnecks you gotta watch for.

Are those the broke back types?
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/25/2008 at 19:18
Originally posted by tahqua tahqua wrote:

Originally posted by pyro6999 pyro6999 wrote:

Are those the broke back types?

nope they are the type that ends up doing this

They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/26/2008 at 00:01
I have had both the Kahles 3-10x50 and Swarovski AH 3-10x42
I think the Kahles is slightly better glass
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/26/2008 at 09:44

"Sweep", I truely like your logical thinking as far as caliber and rifle choice are concerned.  I personally have not owned a Swaro. scope but, I do own two Kahles scopes and one is mounted to a Weatherby, so far they have been great scopes.  

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic