OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

How to stop ring marks

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cccombo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How to stop ring marks
    Posted: April/24/2008 at 18:11
I have heard using tape around inside of the ring will protect the scope but will the POI change with a variable like tape in between the rings and scope,
Are there any other options?
"In politics shared hatreds are almost always the basis of friendships."  --  Alexis de Tocqueville
cccombo View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cccombo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/24/2008 at 18:13
forgot to mention the scope is a nikon monarch with weaver mounts on a .223 Remi
"In politics shared hatreds are almost always the basis of friendships."  --  Alexis de Tocqueville
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/24/2008 at 18:16
Burris Signiture Rings

I use these, and I have never got ring marks on the scopes that I use them on.
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/24/2008 at 18:25
Some rings offer a plastic insert to help stop rings marks.
Burris Signature and even the awful Sako Opti-Locs.

Proper scope installation and yes, even "ring lapping" also reduces ring marks.

The best rings I have personally owned that left NO ring marks, zero, nada, are Tactical Precision Systems TSR rings.
They are supposedly "pre lapped" and are wonderfully made.  

Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/24/2008 at 18:26
Burris rings like helo what-his-name said. Big%20Grin  ( Fan Head............!!)

I have often wondered about tape on a scope....if it is squeezed down, will it stay there forever, or will it deteriorate eventually.....?  Just curious...............

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/24/2008 at 18:28
Originally posted by cccombo cccombo wrote:

forgot to mention the scope is a nikon monarch with weaver mounts on a .223 Remi

Sorry, I didn't realize you already had the rings.  
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/24/2008 at 18:29
Originally posted by Ed Connelly Ed Connelly wrote:

Burris rings like helo what-his-name said. Big%20Grin  ( Fan Head............!!)

That would be Mr. Rotorhead!!  Wink  Laugh%20Above
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
cccombo View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cccombo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/24/2008 at 18:39
Perhaps i should have gotten Burris Signature rings :p

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/24/2008 at 18:44
Originally posted by cccombo cccombo wrote:

Perhaps i should have gotten Burris Signature rings :p

Well yeah, you could buy a set of Sig rings or lap the Weavers you now own.
Really depends on how bad you want to avoid ring marks. Some guys care, some don't.
I don't really care if my scopes have light ring marks, but if you decide to sell your Nikon down the road, ring marks will decrease it's worth.
Kinda like a nice car with high milage.   
RONK View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/24/2008 at 21:45

I love Burris Signature rings for the insert system that protects the tube from dings and scratches, holds very tightly, and is able to compensate for mis-alignment by using the available eccentric inserts.

I hate thier ZEE ring (Weaver/ Picatinny style) for the fact that you need to slide it onto the base from the front or rear, and then put the crossbolt through the slot in the base. Aside from the round crossbolt in a square-sided slot (which is an abomination in itself), it's an awkward design.  I've said many times trhat Burris needs to go back to the design room with this one, and I'll keep saying it until somebody listens! 
 A good Picatinny tip-off ring with a square recoil lug in that portion that mates to the base, would be great to have available in the Signature Series...
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/24/2008 at 22:55
I have tried a lot of different rings and base combinations. The Weaver rings are about the worst for leaving ring marks and not holding the scope securely especially the newest version that has two straps across the top. The Badger Rings and bases are the top of the line but they cost as much as some guns. The Warne rings and bases seem to work very well at reasonable cost. I do have a couple of sets of the Burris Signature rings and for anything that you might need plus or minus moa they offer an easy fix. The are very good about not leaving ring marks. Leupold standard rings while not the best system are fairly easy to locate and for most uses are quite adequate and leave very light marks but hold well.  Leupole quick release (not the weaver base type) also seem to work very well but I have worn out a couple of sets so they are not as rugged as I would like.  I also have some Armalite one piece rings and have had problems with the screws being too brittle and breaking however the factory did repair it at no charge  - rather a foolproof set up for a flat top gun. I also am not a fan of the Burris Zee rings. Given a choice I would pick the Warne rings and base unless I could afford the Badger rings.  The GG&G stuff is top notch also.

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd - April/24/2008 at 23:04

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
mercenary1947 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mercenary1947 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/25/2008 at 03:01
 I would think the glue on the tape would get screwy .... and I'd never trust it on anything on a high power rifle . Did you ever notice tape gets slimy/gooey under heat or moisture ?
One Shot One Kill .... *S.O.F * Head Shots Only
               SWFAM
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/25/2008 at 07:09
I use either Leupold, Lynx or Ram rings. They are all the same, solid steel rings. I have never had marks on the scope. I would from an accuracy concern never put tape or something else under the rings.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic