OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Benchrest scope

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Degee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Benchrest scope
    Posted: December/06/2004 at 10:17
I am thinking of building a simi-serious benchrest rifle based on a Savage action.  Simi-serious in that I will not be entering competion matches with it, I know what is required there to get the job done.  Other than Leupold, what would be a good relatively inexpensive scope in the 32 to 36 power, either fixed or variable.
Chris Farris View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/06/2004 at 12:02
redneckbmxer24 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redneckbmxer24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/06/2004 at 16:32

ditto, the bushnell

cory

If guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns, I'll be only one of millions!!!
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/07/2004 at 02:27
One word of caution. With that much power, your going to have wicked mirage!! Thats why I like my 17x scope.

How far out do you expect to shoot??
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/07/2004 at 08:54
Take a look at the 6-18 Leo II with target turrets, a better set up. The click detents are generally more positive than other manufactureres. All are 1/4 min. subtend. A 6.5 by 20 Nikon can give you 1/8 subtend with target turrets for the price of a bushnell 4200, in my opinion a better set up.
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/08/2004 at 00:20
Degee, a word of advise if you don't mind. Try finding a used Remington 700 Varmint ( short action ) to start with. You will have a solid foundation to build on with a great trigger. From there, it's up to you on how much you want or can spend on your new rifle. Good luck.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic