OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

simmons scopes on Savage Rifle Combo

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cidme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: simmons scopes on Savage Rifle Combo
    Posted: April/24/2008 at 16:33

I am really new to scopes and would like an opinion on this scope.  Its a Simmon 3-9 x 40.  It comes on the package rifles from Savage arms.  I dont have a rifle or scope as of yet and was looking for somthing to take on a moose hunt in alaska.  I probabaly won't use the gun for much else (I mostly shotgun) but I don't want somthing that is total crap.  between entry level and competitor is good.   So what do you think?

Also I am looking at this combo because I am on a budget.
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/24/2008 at 16:56
I don't know what kind of Simmons that scope is, but I wouldn't take it to ALASKA! I would take some kind of reputable scope that is practically "submergible", like a Bushnell 4200.  If you're going to Alaska you'll have to explode your budget a little.     In my opinion, anyway....    Smile    --Ed       
DCAMM94 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DCAMM94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/24/2008 at 17:32
Savage is a great rifle, but I would suggest getting something a little bit more "proven" in a scope you're going to depend on in Alaska - especially if you're only taking one rifle with you (I would try to borrow a backup, if I were you).  There's a reason the rifle/scope combo is only about 30 bucks more than the rifle itself sold separately.  My recommendation is a Nikon Monarch UCC or check out some of the scopes on the Sample List at SWFA.com.  I just checked, and the fine folks at SWFA appear to still have some of the UCC's in stock (I'd check out the silver 3-9x40 for $200.  Looks like they also have some 3-9x40 Bushnell 4200's for $250.  Two VERY nice scopes, especially at that price.  Best of luck.  Oh, and welcome.

Deck
cidme View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cidme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/25/2008 at 15:57

ok I went to SWFA and found this Burris scope, its 3x-9 x 40, any opinions??

http://www.swfa.com/pc-8479-203-burris-3-9x40-fullfield-ii-rifle-scope.aspx

I went to the Burris site to try to find out what "Ballistic plex" means but I had no luck.  Can anyone fill me in?

thanks for all the help.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/25/2008 at 15:59
it simplifies the aiming point at different ranges, middle is dead on at 100, second line is for 200 third line for 300 etc, the ffII is an ok scope the ballistic plex reticle is setup for longer ranges.  depending on what rifle you shoot the lines yardage will change and the stickers that come with the scope will help you out there.

Edited by pyro6999 - April/25/2008 at 16:02
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
DCAMM94 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DCAMM94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/25/2008 at 16:05
Pyro is correct.  It's an "ok" scope.  It's still $10 more than the Nikon 3-9 UCC at SWFA, which I (and a lot of other folks on this site) would consider a "very good" scope.  Check out Chris's "scope scale" on the main riflescopes page, and you'll get the benefit of a lot of experience in comparing scope brands and product lines.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/25/2008 at 16:07
i agree with you dcamm94 i have owned both and still have the monarch.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
DCAMM94 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DCAMM94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/25/2008 at 16:16
If you're balking because it's silver and not matte, PM me, we may be able to make a trade.
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/25/2008 at 16:31
DITCH THAT SCOPE!!!!!!!! it really is a piece of sphincter art.
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
DCAMM94 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DCAMM94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/25/2008 at 16:38
Cyborg, which scope are you talking about?  The simmons, the fullfield, or the Nikon?
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/25/2008 at 16:42
Originally posted by DCAMM94 DCAMM94 wrote:

Cyborg, which scope are you talking about?  The simmons, the fullfield, or the Nikon?

I think the thread is Simmons on Savage. Yeah it sure is, so I guess that would be the one that I'm talking about.

Cyborg
DCAMM94 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DCAMM94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/25/2008 at 16:46
No need to be a smart a**.  Since the thread has been posted, he's also asked about the Fulfield II and the Nikon that Pyro and I had mentioned, so the question was merely which one were you referring to when you said Ditch "that" scope.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/25/2008 at 16:48
dude no need to go lawyer on us!!! we are that type of group here from time to time.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/25/2008 at 16:48
Not being a smart ass, I am a smart ass. That's just the way I am. Just ask around everyone here will tell you that.

Cyborg
DCAMM94 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DCAMM94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/25/2008 at 17:07
No worries to either you Pyro or cyborg.  Cyborg, you should be forewarned - not going lawyer as pyro points out, I am a lawyer, so I guess I just read too much into it.
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/25/2008 at 17:12
I won't hold that against you DCAMM, my uncle is a lawyer, and now a judge. I will now forewarn you, test me and I'll fart. Farter

Edited by cyborg - April/25/2008 at 17:12

Cyborg
Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/25/2008 at 17:35
Lets put it this way.  I bought a Simmons Aetec Master Series, their best scope, a 4x14 44 mm with SF, hydrophobic lens coating like the Bushnell Elite 4200 and 3200 series and a fixed eye relief through out the magnification range.  I tried mounting it on my 673 guide rifle, but the objective bottomed out, but just barely.  This has happened on a lot of scopes I have tried to mount.  I have had many pre-Meade Simmons scopes and all have performed wonderfully.  This is the first post-Meade Simmons scope I have ever purchased.  I bought it for the features and price.  Well it arrived and it was made in China.  I almost puked.  I thought they were made in the Philippines now.  My fault for not researching the scope better.  Today, I mounted it with Warne QD rings on a Wby. 300 that I already have a Trijicon on it with Warne QD rings, just to use it for something else.  Well, after finishing, the side focus would not work.  I used a torque wrench to tighten everything down to 25 ft. lbs. of torque.  I tried loosening everything, but to no avail.  I took it out of the rings, but it still did not work.  So, I wonder whether when I bottomed it out, the objective during the first mounting I bent the internals.  Well, if I did, it was just barely, because that has happened to me on several other scopes, some on the mid to upper scale and some on the lower scale and they all worked fine on further mounting.  Now, they were not packed with multiple features, i.e. side focus for such a price.  Bottom line.  Bag the Simmons.  I got so mad I tried a torture test on it.  It still had great optics at the bottom of its magnification range.  Actually they were really good.  I tried banging on the lenses with the tips of needle nose plies and they did not break.  I banged each end on the concrete and while the metal bent, the optics remained clear.  I did not even want to hassle with returning them I was so made.  Never again.  Always buy premium optics, which do not always cost a fortune as the guys have noted above.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/25/2008 at 17:36

omg i totally guessed on the lawyer thing.

cyborg thats funny bro!
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/25/2008 at 17:46

Cyborg
Duce View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/25/2008 at 17:49
The Bushnell 3 to 9 in the 4200 would be a good choice, Alaska can be very wet around rainy season. Be sure to check that everything is legal with permits guide etc, Alaska has very sever penalty's and high fines if there is a problem and you must carry out all meat and skins etc.
Duce Smile
Duce
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic