OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

twist-up

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rodix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: twist-up
    Posted: April/24/2008 at 07:51

Considering a new pair of all-purpose hunting binoculars.  I have some Bushnell Legend 8x42s right now.  They are fine, but my one complaint is that the twist-up eyecups get filled with dirt and end up grinding all the time.  I use them for hunting and there is no way around them getting dirty.  If I'm jumping to a set in the 500-600 range, are there models without that same design flaw?

Thanks!
lucznik View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucznik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/24/2008 at 22:02
I'll be the first to admit that I've never heard of such a problem before. 

I've used my binoculars in pretty rugged environments and while I have had dirt get around the eyecups, I've never had them fill up and start grinding.   You must really be hunting in some extreme conditions.  Either that or you're just exceptionally hard on your equipment.

I don't know of any manufacturer whose eyecup design is so different that it would serve to offer you better protection than the binocular you have. Though some are better made than others they all operate pretty much the same.
What if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?
anweis View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anweis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/25/2008 at 07:03
Almost all twist - up eyecups are designed with a spiral groove in the eyecups and a spring loaded ball in the eyepiece, or vice-versa. I suppose that if you managed to get your binoculars that dirty, you would have the same problem with a Zeiss or Leica.
My suggestion is to get a good and deep eyepiece cover  and to use while trying to keep the binoculars a bit cleaner.  Vortex has a pretty good eyepiece cover that may work for you.  
rodix View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rodix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/25/2008 at 10:30
Thanks for the responses.  Let me clarify a bit more...

I shouldn't have said "filled with dirt".  That makes it sound like I dumped dirt in them.  I use my gear, but I'm far from hard on it.  They greased the eyecups on these Bushnells with the thickest grease I've ever seen.  Is that common on other brands?  Once any dust or dirt gets in it, it never comes out.  The only way I can see to fix the issue is remove the eyecups and try and completely remove the grease they used.  I'm not really sure how to do that though.
anweis View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anweis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/25/2008 at 11:01
Ok, now i understand.
My Swarovski EL eyecups were similar. They were greased; lint and dust adhered to them.
I unscrewed the eyecups and washed them with warm water and soap. Now i just blow the dust away. The sticky grease may have been good: dust seemed to stick to the eyecup rather than stay on the lenses.
Charlie-bolted View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie-bolted Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/28/2008 at 08:50
Rodix, I got a pair of Vortex Crossfires 10x42.  The twist up eyecups I leave retracted, but overall these are excellent quality binos in my opinion. I guess you could call them on the 'cheap' end (140 but I use them for everything from scanning terrain to hunting to using on construct sites etcand the clarity is excellent / very good definition too: I am slightly farsited in one eye, and dont even need to wear my glasses with these. Anweis is correct in that the eye covers are very good, simply keep them with you in your pocket (0r attached)and slap them onwhen yer dun, good quality rubber. I havent gotten them too dirty yet but these seem to be very rugged and withstand a lot of weather and temp variation. used them in rain, fog mist you name it, they hold up. couldnt be happier for my purposes.
some days we just get stuck and bogged down, Some days all u can do is smile and wait for someone to kindly remove your butt from the hole you find it wedged into.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic