OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

6-24x50 scope... need help deciding

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tmb127 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 6-24x50 scope... need help deciding
    Posted: April/23/2008 at 19:34
I'm looking to buy a scope in the zoom range of 6-24x, and a 50mm lens. I've narrowed it down to the following scopes:

Bushnell 4200 Elite 6-24x50
Nikon Monarch 6-24x50
Sightron SIII 6-24x50
Pentax Lightseeker-30 6-24x50

I have heard good and bad things about all of them, and would like to hear some of your experiences/thoughts about the scopes previously mentioned. Basically I just need to know which of them will have the brightest, clearest picture at the best value. Also, if there are any suggestions for good scopes in the $500-750 price range, I'm open to them. This whole decision thing is driving me crazy Loco.
mercenary1947 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mercenary1947 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/23/2008 at 19:57
 I went with the monarch .... got the Illuminated mildot .... optional target knobs included if you want them ... in the box ... but I bought the 42mm that swfa has on sale . Super sweet scope .... super clear !
One Shot One Kill .... *S.O.F * Head Shots Only
               SWFAM
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/24/2008 at 04:58
I think all 4 scopes will perform about the same, optically speaking.
The 4200 and the Monarch MIGHT have a slight edge, depending on who you talk to.

2 have 1" tubes, 2 have 30mm tubes. How important is that to you? 

Personally, I think this scenario boils down to the 4200 or the Monarch, and then I would go with the new Monarch.
4x zoom erector and 4" fixed eye relief are nice features that the 4200 doesn't offer.

Standing by for incoming from The 4200/Rain Guard Fan Club!!!
Hiding  

tmb127 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tmb127 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/24/2008 at 08:31
Well, I'd prefer to have the 30mm tube for maximum brightness unless it won't make a noticeable difference.
Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/24/2008 at 11:58
The 30 mm. tube size will not make a difference in the brightness of the scope.  Personally, of those listed, I like the Sightron.  Just my opinion.
mercenary1947 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mercenary1947 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/24/2008 at 12:58
 No misconception by most ... 30mm does'nt ...... coatings and quality of the lenses more . Even some larger objectives are NOT more light effecient . There's a scale written by the main man here at SWFA ... here I'll post it :

2008 Riflescope Rating Scale

10 - Swarovski Z6, Zeiss Victory

9 - Kahles C - CL & CSX, Schmidt & Bender

8 - Kahles KX, U.S. Optics, Swarovski PH & American, X.O.T.I.C., Zeiss Classic

7 - Bushnell Elite 6500, Leupold VX-7, Nightforce, IOR Valdada

6 - Bushnell Elite 4200, Nikon Monarch & Monarch X, Zeiss Conquest

5 - Leupold Mark 4 VX III & VX-L, Nikon Monarch Gold & Titanium, Sightron SIII

4 - Burris Black Diamond Signature Select XTR & Euro Diamond, Meopta, Pentax Lightseeker, Super Sniper, Trijicon Accupoint, Weaver Grand Slam

3 - Bushnell Elite 3200, Leatherwood, Leupold VX-II, Millet, Nikon Buckmaster, Sightron SI & SII, Vortex

2 - Burris Fullfield II & Timberline, Leupold Rifleman & VX-I, Mueller, Nikon ProStaff, Simmons, Swift

1 - Barska, BSA, Tasco

0 - ATN, Leapers, NcStar

One Shot One Kill .... *S.O.F * Head Shots Only
               SWFAM
Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/24/2008 at 16:12
Would not touch that list with a ten foot pole.Wink
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/24/2008 at 16:30
Originally posted by Dolphin Dolphin wrote:

Personally, of those listed, I like the Sightron.  Just my opinion.

The S3 is indeed a nice scope, but overpriced in my opinion.

(Can't believe Big Squeeze and Roy haven't hit this thread yet.)
Big%20Grin 

tmb127 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tmb127 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/25/2008 at 12:11
Is the Sightron good enough to be worth the extra money though? (I'm only 15, so money is relatively scarce)
jonbravado View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonbravado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/25/2008 at 12:41

what do you need the 24 magnification for? and what kind of gun is going on?

J
tmb127 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tmb127 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/25/2008 at 13:09

CZ 453 Varmint .17 HMR

I want to be able to see the .17 bullet holes in targets as far away as possible
Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/25/2008 at 13:11
Good point JB.  If you are only 15 and going to put down that much hard cash, I would recommend trying to find a sporting goods store to take a look through a bunch of scopes including the ones you have mentioned.  Take a look inside and outside.  Make sure you know how to operate the scopes, so all will be on an equal playing field.  Try to read small print from a long distance.  Try them when the sun is going down.  Look at the contrast between light and dark colors.  Look at the color rendition.  Look to the edge of each scope and make sure they are bright and clear on all magnifications.  Look to make sure you do not get any color aberrations or flaring.  Do all of this before you chunk down this kind of money at age 15 or any other age.  Then, if you find one that is the bomb, I am sure SWFA will have the best price.
Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/25/2008 at 13:18
For a .17 hmr, I really do not believe you have to have that type of magnification.  Now it is your choice if you want to spend that kind of money.  My CZ wears a Swift.  I believe JB has a English made scope that is expensive and very nice from what I have read, but from what I remember does not have that high of upper end magnification.  Mine is a mach 2, but in reality, not a tremendous amount of difference.  My Savage .17 hmr wears a Tasco.  Choose a lower powered scope and you can get better optics for the money you are looking to spend on the above noted scopes.
tmb127 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tmb127 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/25/2008 at 13:28
good thing I'm going to the competitor store tomorrow then, I'll check the scopes out there. I'm kinda leaning towards the 4200. I currently have a 6-24x42 Tasco Target/Varmint scope on it, and it is nowhere near clear/bright enough for my liking.
tmb127 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tmb127 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/25/2008 at 13:29
Edit: I meant competitor store... not competitor store
tmb127 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tmb127 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/25/2008 at 13:30
Originally posted by tmb127 tmb127 wrote:

I don't know why, but it keeps modifying my post when i try to type c a b e l a ' s, it modifies it to say competitor
trigger29 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire
X = 180 Y = 90 (X+Pyro)+(Y-Pyro) = ?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/25/2008 at 13:53

I don't know why, but it keeps modifying my post when i try to type c a b e l a ' s, it modifies it to say competitor

This is underlined in the forum rules. We do not post SWFA's competitors on their forum.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic