OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Period scope for a pre 64 Win. Model 70

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Period scope for a pre 64 Win. Model 70
    Posted: April/22/2008 at 22:16
I'm looking for a period scope and rings for a real nice 1954 Win. Model 70, 30.06, that would have been a "great choice" in the '50's. Fixed would be preferred, (2,4 or 6 power), expense account < $1000, any recommendations and where to locate? Thanks!
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/22/2008 at 23:51
got an all steel weaver k4 with original redfield rings for $1000 -- just kidding
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/23/2008 at 05:49
wever View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/23/2008 at 15:00
Thanks for the links guys, but I would really like to mount an original 50's scope, just don't know what was available then. Does anyone know where I can read old reviews, articles or see old pictures of what sporting scopes were in use then?    
www.technika.nu View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote www.technika.nu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/23/2008 at 15:48
Lyman Lyman alaskan is the most classical typical scope you can choose.

But there are others, leupolds, weavers, lyman, unertl etc.
You can find them all on Ebay.

I think its important that period scopes are used, at least its much more fun.
Here is my girlfriends prewar mauser with a prewar Ajack scope that i have mounted.

Regards Technika

Edited by www.technika.nu - April/23/2008 at 15:48
mercenary1947 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mercenary1947 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/23/2008 at 20:27
 Looked everywhere but found no links ... do you use the library ? This book looks like the ticket  ... best I could do : 

Old Rifle Scopes   Author: Nick Stroebel

Photos and market values for 300 scopes and mounts made between 1890-1985
One Shot One Kill .... *S.O.F * Head Shots Only
               SWFAM
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mercenary1947 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/23/2008 at 20:35
 I know you probably don't want to buy the book but this place has the book 60 % lower than any store ... $14.95  ..... http://www.westforthsports.com/browseproducts/Old-Rifle-Scopes.html 
               SWFAM
wever View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/23/2008 at 21:25
technica and merceanary, Thanks and double thanks, that's the kind of info I'm looking for. Your Mauser and idea to use old scopes on old guns is exactly what I want to do. I tried to buy the book but their out of stock, it will make a good addition to any gun nuts library, I'll look for it elsewhere. I briefly checked ebay but didn't find anything yet. Thanks again.
Wever
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/23/2008 at 22:21
Most had either a weaver K4, a lyman Alaskan 2.5, Redfield frontier 2-7X28  and Leupold These were some of the more popular scopes in that time frame. The Redfield may be more from the early 60s.
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
www.technika.nu View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote www.technika.nu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/23/2008 at 23:53
i have the book, its not perfekt, but highly recomended.
Here is another old gun that I mounted an old scope on.

Old rifle scopes are availble through Amazon, so it would be no problem to find it.

Regards Technika

Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mercenary1947 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/24/2008 at 13:05
 That rifle and scope looks like she just came off the gun rack or out of the box . Beautiful .... nice one ! You did a great job on it !
               SWFAM
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/24/2008 at 17:12
Back in the fifties, Kollmorgen was the brand to beat.  First marketed as a Stith scope ( out of San Antonio, TX), then they marketed it as Kollmorgen ( from Massachusetts), then in 1959, Redfield bought the whole kit and kaboodle and moved the machinery and everything to Denver and entered the scope world at THE TOP.  They just bought the best scope company out there and continued to make them as Redfields. 

Look around for some of those old 26mm Kollmorgens.  Or just get a Weaver. Wink     --Ed
wever View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2008 at 10:59
I found and purchased a Kollmorgen Bear Cub from ebay. It was advertised as "NIB, never mounted". After I received it, it was apparent by the ring marks that the scope was previously mounted.

That doesn't bother me because the scope is in remarkable condition, but the box it came in bothers me. I assumed it was an extra box the seller used for shipping because it was marked "Sportrite Riflescope Nitrogen Filled Fully Coated 4x32 Made in Japan".

However, I can't find any info on "Sportrite Riflescope", so perhaps it is the original box the scope came, Lord knows when.   "Made in Japan" leads me to believe that it may be a counterfeit scope (like the Leupold Mark 4's that hit the mail order market last year). What do you guys think? Any info on "Sportrite Riflescope". Am I paranoid?
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2008 at 18:44
No..your scope is a Kollmorgen......someone just had an old box lying around.  The Chinese don't counterfeit 50 year old antique Kollmorgen scopes. ( I don't think!!)   I saw one on e-bay just the other day with an original box!! 

Is yours a 4X?? Is yours a regular crosshair??  I guess you will be getting Leupold 26mm rings next.  Smile         --Ed
wagonwheel View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wagonwheel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2008 at 21:45
those scopes are amazing!  sorry i can't help, but holy crap those pictures are awesome!
Kris Kristoferson: Why do people hate france? They have wine, beautiful women and 400 different kinds of cheese.

Waylon Jennings: Hell Hoss, you can get all that in Ft. Worth!
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/09/2008 at 05:13
Originally posted by wagonwheel wagonwheel wrote:

those scopes are amazing!  sorry i can't help, but holy crap those pictures are awesome!

Do you mean the pictures on e-Bay?  Or, am I missing some photos on this thread??  Bucky
Yes, there were some very nice photos of pristine Kollmorgen scopes on e-Bay recently...
( I love all those old scopes and stuff on e-Bay!! I am flabbergasted at the examples of Brand New in the Box old scopes these people come up with---40-50 year old stuff---they even have the original sales receipt sometimes!! Amazing!!) Big%20Grin

Hey, Wagonwheel, you're right there in town with all them gringos!! You'll hafta go down and pester Chris and look at all the goodies!! Dude   HA!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic