OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Reloading & Ballistics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

IMR 4007-300 WSM report

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Master Extraordinaire
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: IMR 4007-300 WSM report
    Posted: April/22/2008 at 13:39
I loaded up varying charges of IMR 4007 SSC for accuracy and velocity testing and went to the range yesterday...............I will save the targets, so when I do get a camera and join the hi-tech club, I`ll post pics after I figure out how to do it!!......................Rifle info: Ruger Frontier 300 WSM w/ 16.5" barrel; 3x9 Elite 4200..................Components:...Bullet: 150 gr. Hornady SST (The SST`s! Squeezer`s favorite piggy bullets)......COL: 2.860".......Primer: WLRM.........Case: Win...........Chronograph: Pro Chrono Digital placed 10' from muzzle..............Temp: 62..............................Starting charge: 62.5 gr IMR 4007; 3 shot group size 1.043" (outer dimensions; not center to center) MV= 3,022................Charges at 63.0 gr., 63.5 gr., and 64 grains all averaged 1.037" (outside to outside) with the expected increases in velocity and with no pressure signs.................In the Hodgdon reloading manual magazine and on their web site, 63.7 grains w/ 4007, is the listed maximum with a velocity of 3220 fps. from a 24" barrel......................For kickers, my final charge for testing the IMR 4007 was @ 64.5 gr. (.8 grain over the listed max.) just to see what my little blaster could do!...............MV= 3118 fps!...........3 shot group size (outer dimension)= 0.544" (holes overlapping), w/ no sticky bolt, no shiny spots on the case heads and no primer cratering!!!..........That load was the best result for accuracy, velocity and was obviously my rifle`s sweeeeeet spot!.............I`LL TAKE IT!!!..........The deviations in velocity averaged 12 fps. through all the charges!.............You guys who own 300 WSM`s, may want to give IMR 4007 a try! Neither load was compressed and its burn rate is right in between H-380 and N-540....... Wink  
Mojo View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman
All Mojo

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2008 at 17:55
You got a winner there Squeezer.....MOA or less.  Good shooting!

Mojo 
MOJO
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2008 at 19:23
you know that gun will shoot way better groups with the 180gr than it ever will with any 150gr
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Mojo View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman
All Mojo

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2008 at 20:32
Yes, yes pyro.  BC .415 vs .480 and SD .226 vs .271.  So yes, technically they should shoot better, but let's be a little practical here.  Squeezer is getting a  extra speed, and sacrifices very little accuracy for it.  What, a 3/8" better group? 

Mojo
MOJO
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2008 at 20:40
well it seems pointless to me to use a 30-06 or .308win bullet in a magnum, im a firm believer in a magnum is a magnum for a reason, big powder big case big bullet big wallop you dig?? i havent ever shot anything with any bullet smaller than 180gr with either of  the .300 mags i have owned, just for the accuracy factor
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Mojo View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman
All Mojo

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2008 at 20:54
Looks to me like Squeezer has found a very accurate (less than MOA center to center) load for a lighter bullet.  Maybe your rifles don't digest 150 grainers well?  Roy W. made a fortune selling big capacity cases with small caliber bullets.  I pefer the higher grain bullets/to caliber, myself as well.  But I do like to develop different grain loads for different applications in the field.

Mojo
MOJO
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2008 at 21:07
both the 300 win i still own and the 300wsm i use to own wouldnt shoot anything well below 165gr
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Mojo View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman
All Mojo

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2008 at 21:32
must be Remingtons. HEE HEE HEE!

Mojo
MOJO
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2008 at 21:38
All the .300s I have ever seen have a 1-10" twist, so it makes sense they typically like the heavy stuff.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Mojo View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman
All Mojo

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2008 at 21:48
No disagreement that among rate of twist, sectional density, and ballistics coefficient that this is all true.  In this case, Squeezers rifle likes the light stuff too! 

Mojo
MOJO
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2008 at 21:58
Originally posted by Mojo Mojo wrote:

must be Remingtons. HEE HEE HEE!

Mojo
actually they were both brownings
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Big Squeeze View Drop Down
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2008 at 23:34
HEY BOYS!!!!..................WAIT UNTIL I TRY SOME REL # 17!!!!! May even have better velocity/accuracy results than the 4007!!! I would like to find JUST ONE powder and settle on it.......................Pyro! Certain rifles shoot better with certain bullets! The 180 grainers do pretty good to! My wittle Woo-ger Fwontier loves the SST`s!!!............These new powder technologies make my 16.5" barrel keep growing!!.........Hows about 3200 fps with a 150 SST using some REL 17????? Or maybe 3000 to 3040-50 fps. with a 180 gr. SST???...........We`ll just see!.......Remember that the new REL 17 gave highest velocities/best accuracy across the board vs. all other powders in the Speer manual including the 4350`s!!!.............Next! The REL 17!!! 
Mojo View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman
All Mojo

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2008 at 06:34
You might not be able to pull off the one powder deal,  Squeezer, for all bullet weights, but you might reach a happy medium.  Pyro might want to use Remington Green Box for those Browning 300's that refuse to shoot lower bullet weights. Yup, sounds crazy, but good ol' Core-Lokt's will work.  I know of multiple rifles that ate up that candy, when nothing else worked. 

Mojo
MOJO
Big Squeeze View Drop Down
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2008 at 10:32

You might not be able to pull off the one powder deal,  Squeezer, for all bullet weights, but you might reach a happy medium.  Pyro might want to use Remington Green Box for those Browning 300's that refuse to shoot lower bullet weights. Yup, sounds crazy, but good ol' Core-Lokt's will work.  I know of multiple rifles that ate up that candy, when nothing else worked. 

Mojo
...............OK! TWO powders then!!!!
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2008 at 17:05

Mojo
negative!
pyro dont use factory ammo for anything except getting a new rifle on paper @100yds, then i waste the rest and save the brass for reloading. i do use a fair amount of bullets that do come in a green box though
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Mojo View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman
All Mojo

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/09/2008 at 16:17

Knowing you pyro, it would really fry your beans if you couldn't come up with a handload that was more accurate than Remington Green Box.  It might be better if you did not find out. 

Mojo
MOJO
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/09/2008 at 20:26

i shot green box ammo out of my 6.5rem mag since i didnt have any other choice and the 130gr accubond i handloaded trounced the 120 gr remington offering.

They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Mojo View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman
All Mojo

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/09/2008 at 21:23
I am speaking of Browning .300 Mag, a Stainless AND a Composite Stalker, with 26" barrels , not other brand rifles nor calibers.      
MOJO
Mojo View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman
All Mojo

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/09/2008 at 21:24
No BOSS either.
MOJO
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/09/2008 at 21:33

I am speaking of Browning .300 Mag, a Stainless AND a Composite Stalker, with 26" barrels , not other brand rifles nor calibers.      

i own that rifle and it had the boss on it until i replaced it with a boss cr, i shot federal premium HE ammo out of it and my handloads were way more accurate and a lot cheaper too
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic