OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Nikon BDC vs Omega BDC250

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nitis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nikon BDC vs Omega BDC250
    Posted: April/22/2008 at 13:02
If I had a nikon buckmaster or monarch with the bdc is the spacing equivalent to the bdc 250in the omega?  They look the same.  Thinking of getting a ML barrel for my encore and want this setup  for the glass
nitis View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nitis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/22/2008 at 20:24
The reason I mention this is the team primos is less money than the omega and probably better glass.
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/23/2008 at 04:01
The BDC and the BDC 250 are not the same, to my understanding. The BDC is for center fire rifles, the is set up 250 is for ML's.

That said, I'd get the Primos and just figure out your trajectory on your ML. You should be able to "split the circles" to match the ML. 

I have a friend that uses a Omega on his AR15, of all things. He loves it.

nitis View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nitis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/23/2008 at 08:55
yeah I knew the omega was designed for ML and the BDC for centerfire but seeing that the bdc is a generic pattern I thought that maybe they were actually the same.  does that make sense?
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/23/2008 at 17:56
Originally posted by nitis nitis wrote:

yeah I knew the omega was designed for ML and the BDC for centerfire but seeing that the bdc is a generic pattern I thought that maybe they were actually the same.  does that make sense?

Yes Sir, perfect sense.

Here's the SWFA Omega web page. It pretty much spells out that the reticle is designed for muzzle loaders.
Any multi caliber ranging reticle is going to have to matched up to specific rifles, loads, etc.

The first dedicated muzzleloading riflescope with Nikon's unique BDC-250 bullet drop compensating reticle allows you to realize the full potential of your muzzleloader. This compact 3-9x0 black powder beauty features five inches of constant eye relief to accommodate magnum-charge recoil and a BDC-250 reticle, engineered precisely for the trajectories common to the Thompson Center Omega .50 cal rifle using 150 grain powder charge (pellets or powder) and 250 grain bullets.

This new BDC-250 reticle, with its unique ballistic circles, allows the shooter to accurately and ethically shoot out to 250 yards by providing instant aim points, taking the guesswork out of where to hold on the target at longer ranges. Accuracy you would expect from a centerfire is now possible with a muzzleloader.

While the Nikon Omega was specifically designed to match the trajectory of the Thompson Center Omega muzzleloader, this scope can be used on any modern muzzleloader. Available in matte or silver to match your rifle's finish.

Edited by cheaptrick - April/23/2008 at 17:57
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic