OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

M1A iron sight question

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PappaBear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: M1A iron sight question
    Posted: April/21/2008 at 13:53
Range report and question.

Well I took my M1A to the range. Man that gun is nice. It weighs 10.75lbs, per Springfield, so the .308's shoot easy on the shoulder. I struggled as a newbie with the iron sights (more to follow on that) but with in an hour, I was hitting the 2Ft. X 2Ft metal gong at 300yrds. To be honest, that surprised me with iron sights. I am really happy the gun.
No failure to feed and performed perfect.

Now I need some more help guys: Once I get the gun zeroed, how do I set my sights to show zero on the dial. ie, loosen the screw and set dial on 1 for 100 yrd zero or 2 for 200 yard zero.
I loosened the screw, and tried to pull the dial out, but it did not free from the adjustment mode. I tried it from the windage side, that screw adjusted up/down, it did not loosen. Do I do them both at once?

What size magazine do most compition shooters use? Mine came with the 10 round mag. Iwas thinking about buying an extra 5 round mag.
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/21/2008 at 14:47
http://m14firinglineforum.com/upload/index.php?s=24ab1dd8be7db88d2a0e64e4f1c9d0c6

For everything you ever wanted to know about the M-14 style rifle.
"The Firing Line" is the "Optics Talk" of M1A's.

Which model springfield did you get?
Lucky devil......Cheers
PappaBear View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PappaBear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/21/2008 at 16:28
M1A National Match Stainless steal and wood stock.  It is very cool,  I bought it used, 99% maybe one box of shells run through it.  It looked newer than some I've seen new.  Not a scratch.  $1,299.00

Very happy with my purchase.
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/21/2008 at 16:40
Gonna need picture bro!

No%20Pics
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
PappaBear View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PappaBear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/21/2008 at 16:49
I have never done it before, however, I do have a great digital camera.  I will try to get it done in the next 24hrs and post a Pic.  I guess I should put the Springfield TRP with it huh?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/21/2008 at 16:51
You can email them to me and I'll post them for you, if you wish.
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/21/2008 at 17:02

PB It'll take me a day or 2 to dig up my manuals and look through some of my books but I can give you the info you need. A standard M14 sight has a battle sight zero of 200yds and is adjustable in 1MOA increments. Standar sights also are marked in yardage withno.s equating to hundreds of yards; 3=300yds etc.. Since you have a N.M. M1A the sights could be different from standard. A little more info on your sights could help.

1. Does your rear appature have a hood that can rotate 180degrees?
2.Does the rear sight have a bar or a screw on the windage knob?
3 Is there NM stamped on the sight assembly anywhere?
This info will help speed things up. I have a 5 round magazine that fits flush with the bottom of the stock and makes a handy hunting rifle.                                                                                            
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
PappaBear View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PappaBear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/21/2008 at 19:27

Cheaptrick,  Photo's have been taken.  I will try to transfer to my laptop them email to you.  The camera is nice, the photographer is aweful. 

BeltFed.  Yes, I have a hooded front that rotates to give the extra .5moa adjustment.  On windage, it's not really a typical screw, but a screwdriver will adjust. Hard to describe.  It is a NM front and back sight.  I'll try to Photo it too.
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/21/2008 at 19:41
PB your windage should move in1/2MOA clicks, your elevation moves in 1MOA clicks with your NM hood giving you the 1/2MOA click. I will try to check my ref. mat. tonight and I should be able to tell you how to get your battle sight zero in the next couple of days.
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
PappaBear View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PappaBear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/21/2008 at 19:47
Cheaptrick, the photos should be on your email. I am going to send one I forgot for Beltfed that shows the windage knob.
PappaBear View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PappaBear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/22/2008 at 00:18

Hey Beltfed,  fyi  I bleed blue from Kentucky.  Grew up in Lexington by Keenland.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/22/2008 at 04:41

Nice!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/22/2008 at 04:46
Pappa's Tikka/Conquest:

PappaBear View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PappaBear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/22/2008 at 08:15
Cheaptrick, thanks for help with the post.  If a picture is worth a 1000 words, I better shut up. lol
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/22/2008 at 09:15
longer magazines pose a difficulty when using bipods, or solid mount  because of clearance with the bench or ground. also longer mags will cause more "battering" of bullet tips when using other than fmj.
on sighting in the v on the .5 apeture is usually set "down" to start
the storage oil SA uses dries out (acting more like a glue sometimes)--- put a few drops of Kroll on the sight knob screw assembly , wait a while , the screw must be backed out enought to pull the windage knob out about 1/4" which will then disengage the rachet assembly and allow free rotation to the index mark you have selected.

Edited by Dale Clifford - April/22/2008 at 09:16
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/22/2008 at 10:45
Very nice rifles (and handguns) PappaBear!  Thanks for taking the time to get the pictures.
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
PappaBear View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PappaBear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/22/2008 at 12:09
Dale, thanks I will try that. Glad, you like the pics guys.
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/22/2008 at 16:06
PB the info I have is coming from U.S. Army field manual FM 23-8, April 1974, on the M14 and M14A1 and rifle marksmanship; Calibration of the Rear Sight.
First you need to get a battlesight zero which is 250meters in the FM. You can do this at 25 meters by zeroing your rifle so your point of impact (poi) is 4.6centimeters above your point of aim (poa), or you can do it the hard way at 250meters. Remember how many clicks from the bottm of the sight setting it is (should be about 2-5 clicks).
Now the hard part (and trying to interpit a military manual), calibrating the sight.
1. Turn the elevation knob forward until the rear sight is at it's lowest setting. Count the no. of clicks (should be same as above)
2. Loosen the screw in the center of the elevation knob until the knob can be turned forward again.
3. Turn the elevation knob forward until the 250meter index line (long line between 2 and 4 on elevation knob) is opposite the index line on the receiver.
4. From this point turn the elevation knob forward the number of clicks of your 250meter battlesight zero. (Just me, but I think you keep both index lines aligned here.)
5. Hold the elevation knob in position and tighten the center screw. Next, turn the elevation knob to the rear until it is at its highest setting and tighten the center screw (I think again).
6. To check the adjustment, set the 250meter index line on the elevation opposite the index line on the receiver. Then turn it forward, counting the clicks. The no. of clicks will be equal to the battlesight setting if the sight has been calibrated correctly.
This is pretty much what the book says except for whats (in here) and these are my comments. This is also for military ball, and different ammo will not equate to the range marks on the elevation knob.
I hope this helps. I don't use the battlsight because I use so many different bullit weights, I just count clicks from the bottom. I have a friend who has zeroed his M1A and he says the range ticks are right on using military ball. Anyway good luck.Howdy
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/22/2008 at 16:14
Crap I almost forgot PB, I was born just blocks from Churhhill Downs, GO CARDS!

PappaBear View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PappaBear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/24/2008 at 01:14
Beltfed, the Cards did well this year. Patino will get them there.  Thanks for the info.  I have 200 rounds coming in the mail.  This weekend I will give your protocol a try.  Thanks.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic