OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Everything Else > Almost Anything Goes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

mistook him for a turkey

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper
Optics Goddess

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stephanie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: mistook him for a turkey
    Posted: April/21/2008 at 13:29
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/21/2008 at 15:20
How terribly sad.....
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/21/2008 at 15:32
That is tragic and very sad.
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/21/2008 at 16:14
My prayers go out to that family.  A sad day indeed.
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
RONK View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/21/2008 at 16:42

I can hardly imagine a more horrific scenario. Heartbreaking...    
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/21/2008 at 16:46
This is HEART WRENCHING, Poor father, I can't imagine how he must feel, He's beating himself up, and his wife is probably giving it to him as well. He really needs our prayers guys.
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/21/2008 at 17:04
Only God knows why, Heaven help him and his family.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
TPS_Phil View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TPS_Phil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/21/2008 at 17:56
What ever happened to identifying your target before you squeeze the trigger?

It seems to be every hunting season we hear of these and it doesn't get any easier....
We refuse to compromise our quality for pricing.
100% USA Made.
martin3175 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/21/2008 at 18:58
Holy cow--that's gotta be the worst ever feeling
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/21/2008 at 21:20
This story breaks my heart!  I can't imagine what that family is going through right now!  I'm not sure I would be able to cope with that!
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/21/2008 at 21:23
its turkey season here and the city folk are so dangerous, i feel sorry for the family but how do you mistake a human being for a turkey?? basic hunter saftey be sure of your target. im at a loss on this one.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/21/2008 at 21:32
Originally posted by pyro6999 pyro6999 wrote:

its turkey season here and the city folk are so dangerous, i feel sorry for the family but how do you mistake a human being for a turkey?? basic hunter saftey be sure of your target. im at a loss on this one.

So very true; this is a good example of why basic hunter safety is so important.  But after the fact, even though the guy wasn't using common sense and good judgement, I still feel very sorry for him.  I can't imagine anything more heart wrenching than to lose your child because of your own actions. 
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/21/2008 at 21:37
i was just talking to the sarge about that i said i dont know if i could live with myself if i did something like that, and if i could live on with that in my mind i definetly wouldnt be myself ever again just not something any parent would ever want to have happen.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
mercenary1947 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mercenary1947 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/21/2008 at 22:10
 I was shot about 20 some years ago by a kid with a 12 guage . Walked over the ridge ... finger on the trigger and pumped in a shell .... boom ! Main shot area was about 12-16 inches from my torso .... spit shot out of my mouth and popped them like pimples . The cute part is he was the neighbor's boy and when he did it he took off running . Good thing I was'nt really seriously hit . That father must shoot anything ... moving or not .... sorry but I think he should never be allowed to hunt again whether he wants to or not .... he probably does'nt . My God .... I may of thought of even turning  the gun on myself if I had shot my son and killed him .... I could NEVER live with that !  By the way the kid who shot me had firearms safety classes !  Was a Maryland requirement to get a licence and still is . I'm sure I'm not the only one who has had bullets sing through the brush and trees near me by those city idiots .... that's why I only hunt private ground ... public areas here are extremely dangerous .
One Shot One Kill .... *S.O.F * Head Shots Only
               SWFAM
niles coyote View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote niles coyote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/22/2008 at 03:41
Originally posted by pyro6999 pyro6999 wrote:

Weve had two incidents in the past 5 years where something like this happened. One was almost the same but the range was longer and thankfully no one was killed that time but the other incident didnt turn out as well. It was durring small game season and the hunters were hunting squirrels. One hunter thought it would be cute to fool his friend and hide behind a log and flip a squirrel tail up so that from the other hunters view all he would see was the tail fliping... I think you can figger the rest out.

I both cases alcohol was a factor.... need I say more....
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/22/2008 at 06:56
This whole story is just unimaginable. I would just absolutely fall down and die if something ever happened to one of my girls.  What a horrible thing.  The thought of actually shooting your gun at something that you have not absolutely identified is beyond comprehension.  I know that these things happen---but, I simply cannot figure out how in the hell people manage to do such a thing. 

Maybe the camouflage clothing and bushes or whatever contributed to this...I'm sure it must have.  But, in that case you should know WHERE everyone is!  Wear an orange hat for God's sake!  In this day an age we should be hunting in fireman's LIME GREEN-YELLOW flourescent space suits!! There are a zillion morons out there!!  I'm not saying this man was a moron---although, there are plenty to go around...... but, THIS could have been prevented.  I WOULD KNOW WHERE my kids were before I pulled the trigger!!  That's like shooting a "burglar" in the PITCH DARK in your house without first IDENTIFYING who is there!!  You are just asking for a tradgedy! 

I feel utterly terrible for that poor man.                --Ed
yellowdog View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yellowdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/22/2008 at 07:46
  I lost my best friend back in 2004 in a similar accident during deer season. Can't help but wonder that If I would have been there maybe it would have turned out different.
If you don't want to stand behind our troops, then we will gladly have you stand in front of them.
Stephanie View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper
Optics Goddess

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stephanie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/22/2008 at 09:24
I could not even start to imagine what that family is going through.

Not just one life but two or more lives have been completely destroyed.
They will be in my prayers.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic