OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Anybody using a Bore Snake?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Anybody using a Bore Snake?
    Posted: April/19/2008 at 14:28
Just picked up a Hoppes Bore Snake today for bore cleaning my AR15 and especially my Marlin 60 .22 rimfire.

Edited by cheaptrick - April/19/2008 at 16:07
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/19/2008 at 14:59
Originally posted by cheaptrick cheaptrick wrote:

Just picked up a Hoppes Bore Snake today for bore cleaning my AR15 and especially my Marlin 60 .22 rimfire.

I have for my shotgun, it works great.
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
Dogger View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/19/2008 at 15:02

Use them for all my rifles & shotguns.  Do a pretty good job for cleaning in the field or at the camp; quick to use so tend to clean more often.  Put them in the washing machine when they get really dirty & I'm ready to go.  Do a good job on hunting firearms.

God save the Empire!
Longhunter View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Longhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/19/2008 at 15:19
The bore snake is a great way to clean pump and automatic rifles (and revolvers) without messing up the crown.  Just feed it in from the action side of the barrel.  I use them and like them.
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/19/2008 at 15:38
Thanks, fellas.

Ya'll use them dry or with solvents?
ckk1106 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ckk1106 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/19/2008 at 15:49
I got one for my AR as well.  A bit tough, initially, to pull through the bore.  I guess that's normal though.  I was told to use it dry, but I would also need a good cleaning with solvent at times.  
Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/19/2008 at 18:14
How dose it work on the second pass? I don't have one but I have thought are your pulling the same stuff back thru the barrel on the second pass. I know you would wipe it off or spray it heavy but can you really get it clean enough to drag thru the barrel 2 or 3 more times with out scratching it? 
P&Z Firearms , Pro gun cleanings and gun repair and wood refinishing.

Ecclesiastes 10:2
Dogger View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/19/2008 at 19:04
Never had a problem BD, can use several times - unless the bore is really bad.  Use a little Hoppe's on the bristles to help clean out the powder residue.
God save the Empire!
Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/19/2008 at 19:19
Originally posted by Dogger Dogger wrote:

Never had a problem BD, can use several times - unless the bore is really bad.  Use a little Hoppe's on the bristles to help clean out the powder residue.

Cool Thanks for the info. I have never used one so It was just a thought I have had about them. I have no doubt about it now.I will have a few for my toys.

P&Z Firearms , Pro gun cleanings and gun repair and wood refinishing.

Ecclesiastes 10:2
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/19/2008 at 20:17

Have one for every caliber handgun, shot gun and rifle I own.  Their not as thorough as a rod and brush, but they are excellent for field use or in between cleanings.

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/20/2008 at 00:22
They are good when shooting PDs. Just a quick pass and you are back to shooing. It is a lot faster than breaking out a rod and sovent. The length of the snake picks up the fouling before it gets to the end unless it has been used a lot. The tail is the last to get dirty.
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/20/2008 at 11:03
I use them dry and have them for all my shotguns and rifles. They are the only way to go in the field for me.
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/20/2008 at 13:29
I have them for all of my rifles.  Use them in the feild, or at the range for a quick cleaning, and then do a thorough cleaning once I get back for the day.  Seem to work fine dry or with a little wet.
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/20/2008 at 16:18
Originally posted by 3_tens 3_tens wrote:

They are good when shooting PDs. Just a quick pass and you are back to shooing. It is a lot faster than breaking out a rod and sovent. The length of the snake picks up the fouling before it gets to the end unless it has been used a lot. The tail is the last to get dirty.

That's where I use them as well -- shooting PDs.  They have so much surface area that most of the grime collects toward the brush end of the rope, but after awhile they will get pretty dirty.  One word of caution, though -- don't leave it out where a dust-filled breeze can contaminate it, as it can pick up sand/grit that will stick to it that's hard to remove from the woven material.  If you then pull the grit-coated snake through the bore, it can scratch your bore, since sand (silica) is harder than the steel.

I think it's a good idea to occasionally put it in the washing machine to flush out all the grime.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/20/2008 at 17:36
Thank you, Gents!

Worked real well on my semi auto .22. Also gave it a couple of tugs through my AR's barrel too.    

Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/20/2008 at 17:40
I only have one in .30 cal for an M1a since most of my rifles can be cleaned from the back I am more comfortable with a solid rod.  Snake seems handy enough. I have used a tico tool for shotguns for years and while it is old and dirty it does remove enough build up inside the barrel and add a fine coat of oil to protect the barrel.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
ckk1106 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ckk1106 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/20/2008 at 22:03
Originally posted by RifleDude RifleDude wrote:

That's where I use them as well -- shooting PDs.  They have so much surface area that most of the grime collects toward the brush end of the rope, but after awhile they will get pretty dirty.  One word of caution, though -- don't leave it out where a dust-filled breeze can contaminate it, as it can pick up sand/grit that will stick to it that's hard to remove from the woven material.  If you then pull the grit-coated snake through the bore, it can scratch your bore, since sand (silica) is harder than the steel.

I think it's a good idea to occasionally put it in the washing machine to flush out all the grime.
  Just throw it in the washing machine?  I was wondering how to clean the thing.  That is easy enough. 
yellowdog View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yellowdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/21/2008 at 04:27

I second the great use for PDs. in the field. I use a little solvent before the brush.  After alot of firing though I recomend going back to your rod, as a good nylon or bronze brush is needed for the heavy cooper fouling. I find them the most handy on semi-autos. Wink
If you don't want to stand behind our troops, then we will gladly have you stand in front of them.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic