OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Everything Else > Almost Anything Goes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Ghillie .. Sniper and Concealment Tactics

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mercenary1947 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ghillie .. Sniper and Concealment Tactics
    Posted: April/18/2008 at 13:13
 Odd .... maybe just because I'm into it but there's never any chat about ghillie or concealment suits on here . It also comes in handy turkey hunting .... I teach it and sniper tactics here in my area along with the making of the outfits . Does anyone else use the suits or learn to crawl right up on your target ? I've had guys almost step on me .... never knowing I'm there .   Sharp%20Shooter
One Shot One Kill .... *S.O.F * Head Shots Only
               SWFAM
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/18/2008 at 13:16
oh man i thought i was on snipers hide for a second there
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/18/2008 at 13:28
I have never used one but I'm planing to next year for yotes and deer. I have a how to make you own suite I got from somewhere I'm going to try this summer if I get time.But if I don't I'm going to buy one with the full head gear. So I might be asking you a few questions from time to time.
P&Z Firearms , Pro gun cleanings and gun repair and wood refinishing.

Ecclesiastes 10:2
lucznik View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucznik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/18/2008 at 13:48
I've never used one before.

I watched an interesting show late one evening a few months ago on either Discovery Channel or the History Channel (I can't remember which) about some kind of international snipers competition sponsored by the US Army.  What was interesting was that every one of the teams that utilized some form of a ghillie suit were spotted by the "target" team/judges.   The teams that utilized natural cover were the only ones that successfully remained hidden.  Any one else see that show?

Of course, the US Army team won the competition.  No big surprise there.
What if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/18/2008 at 13:50
yeah i saw it too, i think it was on the military channel, that shooting out of a helo takes a special rifleman

Edited by pyro6999 - April/18/2008 at 13:50
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
lucznik View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucznik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/18/2008 at 14:00
It couldn't have been on the Military Channel because I don't get that one.  Of course, I suppose it could have been played on more than one channel.  I know Survivorman plays on both the Discovery and the Science channels. 

Regardless, there were some impressive shooting and hiding skills on display.
What if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/18/2008 at 14:04
yeah maybe it was on the history channel then, the military channel and the history channel do the same thing as dsc and dsc science does from time to time
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Duce View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/18/2008 at 14:26
That show ran a couple of times on the military channel here , good channel frequent repeats of some shows .

Duce Smile
Duce
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/19/2008 at 13:05
I have a jacket like that which I use for bow hunting.  I would like to know more and have a better suit.

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd - April/19/2008 at 13:06

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
furboom View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furboom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/19/2008 at 14:19
i've been wanting to make one for hunting and also for photography (of wildlife). would like to get my hands on a how to.  i did see a video of a guy killing a hog with a spear.  we got close enough by wearing a ghillie
It's all about SHOT PLACEMENT!
yellowdog View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yellowdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/19/2008 at 23:43
     Very easy to make your own, if you have the time of course. Take an old hooded jacket & pants of choice, slice very small holes in each garment, loop small zip tie's through the holes and then incorporate some Raffia grass from your local fabric store, or Avery grass from Cabelas. The grass comes in different earth tones for choice of color. The Avery grass comes in bags for around $24 to $28. When you get on stand on your hunt, incorporate some of the natural vegetation that's around you.  Time consuming, but considerably cheaper than store bought ghillie suit, and if done right, just as affective.  I've also found the Avery grass in Cabelas bargain cave quite a bit for as low as $12. Always check there first!   Wink

Edited by yellowdog - April/19/2008 at 23:50
If you don't want to stand behind our troops, then we will gladly have you stand in front of them.
mercenary1947 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mercenary1947 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/20/2008 at 07:14
Originally posted by Bigdaddy0381 Bigdaddy0381 wrote:

I have never used one but I'm planing to next year for yotes and deer. I have a how to make you own suite I got from somewhere I'm going to try this summer if I get time.But if I don't I'm going to buy one with the full head gear. So I might be asking you a few questions from time to time.

Anytime .... will help you all I can . If you really have some time to look ... you can get a great deal on ebay .... get the one with the netting as the main liner .... 10 times more on the cool side when on . You can make one but after you buy all the materials and take a week or more to tie and lace .... you'll be glad you did . Let me tell ya ... I've had experienced hunters almost step on me ..... and was glad they did'nt have to get rid of those 3 cups of coffee they drank that morning ... LOL . I also add the leafy leaves to it . They work ! And make sure the material is FLAME RETARDENT ! Devil  you don't want to look like richard pryor .... POOF !!  I use the 2 piece suit with the headgear on the jacket .... that way I can slip the jacket off to maneuver  when not stalking  . I saw that special ... I even went to a couple paintball clubs and taught .
               SWFAM
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/21/2008 at 05:46
Interesting topic. For years I hunted in blue jeans and shirt, or blue jeans and khaki shirt. I never noticed any difficulty in getting my quota, allthough shots were mostly taken at 150 yds +. Then I took to hunting in more earth colours, particularly khaki etc. Still the same. Closer game typically showed skittish behaviour, but hey thats normal.
Then 3 years ago I was talked into buying proper camo. I went for the 3-D real tree stuff. On the first hunt I had springbuck walk to within 20 yds of me. Never saw me. They only ran away once they got downwind and smelled me. Today I am a firm believer in camo.
An interesting discussion is also around the blue camo. It is quite a big thing in South Africa where hunters use blue camo. Supposedly buck cannot see shades of blue and it blens in with the enviroment. Certain hunters swear by it. I think it looks awfull in the bush.
Dogger View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/21/2008 at 06:23
8shots, is the blue colour used as a safety factor so other hunters can see them?

P.s. "ran away once they got downwind and smelled me", have this problem from time to time as well but there is help in your nearest drug store!
God save the Empire!
TPS_Phil View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TPS_Phil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/21/2008 at 13:02
There are many different ways to make one and you can google it, but here are some links:

I had four and down to three, but on my last one I just used shoo-goo instead of sewing and believe it or not that netting isn't coming off....

Alot of different ways to build one, but its a constant work in progress...
We refuse to compromise our quality for pricing.
100% USA Made.
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mercenary1947 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/21/2008 at 21:46
 That's why I said to look at some good buys on ready made ... I made my first 3 .... takes a loooong time and alot of materials to compare to the ready made ones . If you have time one can be had darn cheap on ebay . And if you want you can add more to them . Depends on what you want min or max . Just make sure all the materials are waterproof and fireproof . A suit made from some materials can get pretty knarley ...  P-YOU .... and rot . There's usually bucu packs of materials in one .... and expensive for good stuff . Just my opinion .... been doing it since lord knows when .
               SWFAM
Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/22/2008 at 01:39
Well, I've debated about using one here in Alabama.  Only "LEGAL" place to use one is in a treestand. Can't use it on the ground, you must have hunter orange on in rifle season.  I have friends who make them for themselves. DON'T even ask if they would make you one.  One of my buddies at worked asked one day.  You would have thought he was wanting to use the guys wife. LOL  Make it yourself. 
"Don't argue with a fool! From a distance you can't really tell who's who!"
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/22/2008 at 02:40
Originally posted by Dogger Dogger wrote:

8shots, is the blue colour used as a safety factor so other hunters can see them?

P.s. "ran away once they got downwind and smelled me", have this problem from time to time as well but there is help in your nearest drug store!

The safety factor is an added benifit that the sales people use, but the original use is for pure camouflage ability in the hunting field.

I meant: they pick up my scent!!!
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mercenary1947 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/22/2008 at 13:48
 He and we knew what you meant 8shots .... he was just sticking his finger in your eye to pull your chain ... LOL  I don't use mine for deer hunting ... I carry a roll of fl-orange tape/strip and wrap the tree where I'm at where we go . Private land ... everyone looks for our tape .... but then again we don't shoot what we can't recognize totally ! Yea you can make one .... let me know how it comes out ... but for $49.00 and professionally done .... don't know what bucu hours and tieing of a hundred or more knots of your time is worth ... plus you're gonna have more in materials than that . I've seen some pretty shabby homeade suits/jackets . Look more like a pile of rags than ghille .  
               SWFAM
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mercenary1947 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/24/2008 at 15:17
 This is what you'll see if you look for me ..... but I'll see you first .... have perfected my suit even better ....
               SWFAM
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic