OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Mil Dot Reticle

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote varmintcaller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mil Dot Reticle
    Posted: April/17/2008 at 14:29

I am  in considering the purchase of a Bushnell scope with the Mil Dot Reticle, does any one have any experience with this reticle?   Loco    I would appreciate any comments, good or bad.

Thanks for your help.
Moon Labe
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/17/2008 at 14:31
What are you going to use the scope for is what we first need to know, then we can help you decide if you need it or not.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
varmintcaller View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote varmintcaller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/17/2008 at 14:35
I am going to mount it on a Ruger 204, and use it primarily to shoot P dogs and for coyote calling. Most of the time it will be for shooting coyotes.
Moon Labe
sscoyote View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sscoyote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/17/2008 at 23:46
If i'm not mistaken don't they also have a tree-type ballistic reticle that's set up in 2 MOA stadia lines that provide for windage reference also?
Steve
mercenary1947 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mercenary1947 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/18/2008 at 12:56
 I love mil-dots ..... just my opinion ..... it's what I use now .
One Shot One Kill .... *S.O.F * Head Shots Only
               SWFAM
doctor duck View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doctor duck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/18/2008 at 14:17
 I just put a bushnell w/ mil-dot on my 204. Great for paper with the fine crosshair. I think you will be fine for varmints also. I just got my.204. It's a Howa 1500 . Shoots real good so far. I've been waiting for a calm day to see how she shoots at 300 yds. Here in Mississippi the wind might quit around mid May- early June.  When it calms I will see how good this set-up works. Anyway I think you will like the mil-dot.
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/18/2008 at 14:27
I also really like the mil-dots and for long range varminting I think they should work great.  Give you some great reference points for hold over.  Though I don't think they will work to well for ranging and p-dogs.  
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote varmintcaller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/19/2008 at 00:29
Thank you for the information, Im a little worried about the dots covering up P dogs at three hundred yards or more, I plan to use a laser range finder for distancing.

doctor duck
My rifle is also a Howa 1500, Im going to pick it up tomorrow, Im glad to hear you got a shooter, i hope mine will be one as well.
Moon Labe
sscoyote View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sscoyote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/20/2008 at 21:52
VC, if u get 1 of the Bushys for PD's, make sure it's a higher-powered model. That way the mil-dot will cover a smaller area on the target (most of the mil-dots r calibrated for 14X i think). They're second focal plane reticles, and as u increase power the dot to dot and dots themselves subtensions (measurements) get smaller. This will help for more precise shooting at longer ranges.
Steve
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote varmintcaller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/24/2008 at 17:18
sscoyote
Thanks for the tip, I had thought the size of the dots would remain constant throughout the power range.
Moon Labe
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/24/2008 at 17:37
Pdogs are just too damn small to range with a mildot, and they vary in height too much as a % of their overall adult height.  On top of that, half the time, they're crouched in the grass or partially hiding behind/in mounds. 

I do use mildot reticles for pdogs, though, but I use it for holdover and wind compensation.  But, you have to select the right mildot.  Some mildot reticles have dots that are so large that they cover up a pdog at longer range.  The mildots I use and like very much are Nightforce's version with the "open" dots & really thin lines and IOR's MP8, which is a mil-based reticles in 1/2 mil increments that uses stadia lines instead of dots. 
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
trigger29 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire
X = 180 Y = 90 (X+Pyro)+(Y-Pyro) = ?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/25/2008 at 11:08
If mil-dots covering your target is going to be a problem, you could look at the Sightron sII in a 4.5-14 or something with the Hunter Holdover reticle. I don't know what your budget is, but the SII seems to get pretty good reviews. In my opinion, there are better things than mil-dots for long distance PD's, but thats just me.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic