OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Need Help Finding Water Proof Compacts

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tjsshl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need Help Finding Water Proof Compacts
    Posted: April/17/2008 at 12:45
I am having a difficult time comparing compact binoculars based upon their level of water resistence.  I would like a good pair of compacts, Leica Ultravids, Swarovski, Zeiss, etc. that I can use around saltwater.  They might get sprayed with water, they might get dunked on the rare occasion (no more a foot or two), and I would like to be able to wrinse them off with fresh water after use (to remove any salt) without harming them.  Mostly, they would not be subjected to the above treatment, but I could see using them like that several times a year.    I would prefer to use the armored style as they look like they could be bounced around a little more than their non-armored cousins.

Can anyone offer any suggestions?

Regards,
Tom
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/17/2008 at 13:42
Most roof prism compacts are waterproof and the ones you mention probably are.

Personally, around saltwater I would be more inclined to get a couple of cheaper models since I have lost an optic or two when they ended up on the bottom of the Pacific where it was too deep to dive for them.  I would suggest getting a couple of floating straps.  I think Steiner makes them; there may be others.

I would take a good look at Minox BD8x25 BR W, since they tout their watertightness.

ILya
trigger29 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire
X = 180 Y = 90 (X+Pyro)+(Y-Pyro) = ?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/17/2008 at 17:51
My Geovids state in the instructions that to get saltwater off you can put them in tap water, and are waterproof to 16 feet. I would think the ultravids would be the same. Chances are good that Zeiss and Swaro would be as waterproof.

EDIT:

The Ultravids are waterproof to 16.5 feet. Zeiss to 4Meters (about 11 feet), and Swaro to 13 feet. This comes off the manufacturers websites. You should be good to go with any you mentioned.

Edited by trigger29 - April/17/2008 at 18:03

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic