OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Fixed or Adjustable

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nmnewt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fixed or Adjustable
    Posted: April/17/2008 at 09:09
Setting up a new long range rifle. I wanted to know what your thoughts are between going with a reticle with fixed yardages or going with the ones with elevation and windage ajustments. I'm setting up a Sendero 300 RUM and would also what your thoughts on a good scope in the $700-$1,000 price range.

Thanks,

Newt
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/17/2008 at 09:16
Originally posted by nmnewt nmnewt wrote:

I wanted to know what your thoughts are between going with a reticle with fixed yardages or going with the ones with elevation and windage ajustments.

I'm not certain what that means.  If you have found a scope without windage and elevation adjustments,I recommend you not buy it.

On that budget, there are many great options.

I'd get a variable and not fixed.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/17/2008 at 09:40
As explained above, all scopes have windage and elevation adjustments. Some scopes however have fixed power or magnification, whilst others have a variable power or magnification setting.
Fixed power scopes generally are good with a very good level of reliability due to less moving parts, construction etc. Good quality variables are however also reliable in this dept and give the added advantage of allowing for different magnifications for different uses.
nmnewt View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nmnewt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/17/2008 at 10:33
I sorry for not being clearer. I have been looking at a custom VXIII from leupold that has the set dots in the reticle. They say that all I need to give them is the info of the ammo and they can fix the reticle to those Balistics. Whats your thoughts?
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/17/2008 at 10:51
You are talking a Mildot reticle, which is used for ranging and for hold over once you figure out the drops of your rounds.  Leupold is talking about the windage and elevation adjustments and making them set for certain ballistics so all you have to do is turn them to that preset distance and your bullet will be on and that distance.

The problem with those, is no ammo is ever going to shoot the exact same from lot to lot.  And no rifle is every going to shoot the exact same with the same ammo.  And depending on the environmental factors of your shooting places that could cause things to vary greatly as well.  So it is somewhat generalized.  I went through a precision rifle class recently and several people were using those and they worked pretty good to about 300 to 400 yards, but beyond that they started straying quite a bit and could not dial in the shots near as accurately as those of us using regular windage and elv adjustments. 
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
nmnewt View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nmnewt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/17/2008 at 10:57
On those scopes do you have to stay at the max power of your scope?
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/17/2008 at 11:05
If you want to use it to range with and keep it simple yes.  You can range on any power you just add one more step to your math.

You could always try an IOR or Nightforce scope with a First Focal point reticle and you can range at any power because the reticle changes sizes with the power change.  I just got an IOR like that and it is pretty cool.  I have not mounted it yet but will be able to hopefully soon.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

nmnewt View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nmnewt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/17/2008 at 11:09
What do those run $$
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/17/2008 at 11:17
Here are two IOR makes.
http://www.swfa.com/pc-10157-292-ior-25-10x42-tactical-30mm-rifle-scope.aspx
http://www.swfa.com/pc-10161-292-new-ior-3-18x42-tactical-35mm-rifle-scope.aspx

I am not sure on the Nightforce, I think comparable ones will cost a little more, maybe a couple hundred. 

All this depends on how extreme you want to go.  If you want these kinds of options and a good reliable precision rifle scope it will cost you. 

You could always go with a fixed 10x or 16x super sniper and they suppose to be amazing for the price.  You don't hear many bad things about them.
http://www.swfa.com/c-231-super-sniper-rifle-scopes.aspx

Big Squeeze View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/17/2008 at 11:19
Originally posted by nmnewt nmnewt wrote:

I sorry for not being clearer. I have been looking at a custom VXIII from leupold that has the set dots in the reticle. They say that all I need to give them is the info of the ammo and they can fix the reticle to those Balistics. Whats your thoughts?
......................................I have never been BDC or mil-dot reticle fan. Here`s why!........First! With your 300 RUM, you will more than likely adjust the strength or power of your loads. By doing so, that will alter your trajectories, which may cause some confusion as to what dot or holdover point you should use on the reticle. If you are going to use one bullet, one reload or one factory load, then you may probably be served well with that type of reticle. But who does that??............Secondly! IMO, along with more confusion, these types of reticles are too busy and may disrupt the vision looking at game through the scope! For a muzzle loader, the Nikon BDC reticle is ok because the 250 gr. bullet using X amount of powder is like a set charge. A duplex, plex, or a German #4 is better.................. For all hunts, zero your 300 RUM in at 300 yards and chrono your hunting loads. A 300 yard zero eliminates alot of guesswork. Along with your velocity, know your bullet`s BC (ballistic co-efficient), which in turn will give you the bullet drop in inches at say 350-400 yards and beyond. Based on my rangefinder reading, I simply know my hold over and adjust the cross hairs by aiming higher. If the shots are closer than 300 yards I will aim lower.....................BDC`s, mildots and all these other types of reticles, are no substitute for a good ARC rangefinder, chronograph and knowing your bullet`s trajectory!.............Keep it simple!
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/17/2008 at 11:26
After Sqeezers comments I guess the important question is, is this a hunting rifle or a target long range precision rifle?  If it is a hunting rifle his comments make sense, but if it is a precision rifle or a precision/hunting rifle then you will want a mil based reticle of some kind.  You will need to reticle to range and compensate for quick longer shots.  I personally don't think a mil dot reticle is to busy, but I am used to them and actually like them. 

Big Squeeze View Drop Down
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/17/2008 at 11:33
Originally posted by supertool73 supertool73 wrote:

After Sqeezers comments I guess the important question is, is this a hunting rifle or a target long range precision rifle?  If it is a hunting rifle his comments make sense, but if it is a precision rifle or a precision/hunting rifle then you will want a mil based reticle of some kind.  You will need to reticle to range and compensate for quick longer shots.  I personally don't think a mil dot reticle is to busy, but I am used to them and actually like them. 
............................Yep! For hunting? Or for target precision?............If for target/precision shooting then the mildots make more sense!...A big difference there!
mercenary1947 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mercenary1947 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/17/2008 at 13:15
 I use all mildots now .... they are'nt perfect but they do give you a closer shot without a guess where holdover . Most can tell you here ... it's an art of knowing your firearm .... scope ..... ammo ..... repeated useage of same loads ..... it's just something you learn yourself and can't be told to you how to do it . PRACTICE and use the same bullets/loads  ..... targets you have all the time in the world to pinpoint with all types of equipt. .... hunting .... hah .... what seconds to hit a kill zone ... know your setup better than your right hand .... and perfect it .
One Shot One Kill .... *S.O.F * Head Shots Only
               SWFAM
mercenary1947 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mercenary1947 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/17/2008 at 13:23
 One addition ... a GOOD variable power is as good as any fixed in the general area .... unless you're talking a very high end target only scope 20x plus paper target scope maybe ... as always depends on the scopes .... I use variables with dead on kill stats . Sometimes I need the option depending on the size and distance of my target .... plus I have illuminated rectiles for darker areas here .  Some of these questions are too vague to give sound advice .... need ya beside me showing and telling me your needs .
One Shot One Kill .... *S.O.F * Head Shots Only
               SWFAM
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic