OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Leupold - Damaged windage turret

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morhua666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Leupold - Damaged windage turret
    Posted: April/17/2008 at 02:59
Hi there boys.

My friend came to my house 2 dyas ago to reload some 240wby. Brought his brand new custom rifle with his brand new VX2 4-12x50 scope. I put the rifle up against the wall and turned around. Then murphys law started working its way, the rifle fell to the floor,.......... result of this crash was that the windage elevation turret fell off!!!!!!! The threads seems to be stripped at the turret part, but the threads in the main tube seems ok. My typical luck!!!!!!

Can this be fixed? Anyone know how i can get hold of a new windageturret?? I live in Norway, don't wanna send the scope to the US for service, then I'll rather buy him a new scope as they are about 400$ in the US.

Just hoping someone can point me to a servicestation or shop that might have these type of parts available for sale.

PS: Have mailed leupold, but haven't heard naything yet
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/17/2008 at 03:13
Sorry to hear about your disaster. For this reason I allways put my rifle on the lowest place, then it can fall no further!
Sounds strange that the turret came off. It should be able to take more abuse. My rifle strap broke and the rifle fell on the turret (also Leupold). This was on a hard service. Bar a few scratches, no damage was done.
Can't help, other then suggest you phone Leupold. Normally they respond to e-mails, but it takes a couple of days.
Due to USA terro laws, you can no longer buy telescopes for export.

Edited by 8shots - April/17/2008 at 03:15
morhua666 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morhua666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/17/2008 at 03:26
I agree that it was strange that the whole turret fell off. I've had some scopes in my days, 3 zeiss, 2 meopta,2 s&B, 1 bushnell elite and now nikon tactical, but NEVER has anything like this happened to me. I've losst my rifle more than once on hard surfaces, but only resulting in scratches.

The funny thing is that I've always heard that leupold takes the most abuse "of them all", but this isn't always the truth it seems..................... Wink

Will call leupold instead, just to check if the part is available.

Thinking of buyin my firend a new scope instead, and just use the fixed (if possible to fix) leupold myself. No fun for him to wait for the repair, the accident was my mistake.  BUT, I'll but him  anikon instead, hehe. The monarchs seems like a good scope for the money.
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/17/2008 at 03:32
The problem of fixing the scope could be that the gas seal is broken, which means it would have to be filled before sealing.
If you have a other scope brand repair shops near you (Zeis etc) who may be prepared to do that, thats the way to go.(Once you get the spare)
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/17/2008 at 03:37
Morhua, how do you rate the scopes you have owned? We all hear a lot about S&B, are they worth all the extra money?
morhua666 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morhua666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/17/2008 at 03:46
8shots:

I'm not an optical expert, but the s&B are good scopes indeed. I would rate the german zeiss above s&B. I've only owned S&B classic series, not the new PMII (which seems insane!!!)

Compared to meopta, S&B is better, but if you compare pricewise, I would rather buy meopta rheostar as they are good scopes!!

Here in Norway most hunters use european scopes, and the general rating would be something like this:

1. zeiss/swarovski (most use Zeiss, STRONG brand in Norway)
2. s&B
3. Kahles
4. meopta

8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/17/2008 at 04:16
Little bit of the thread, but what type of hunting do you do? Game, distance of shots, ease of getting hunts etc?
morhua666 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morhua666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/17/2008 at 04:21
deer, goose, rabbit, grouse, seal

Mostly deer and goose.

I see you live in SA, lots of hunting there i gues.... Lots of norwegian hunters travel to SA to hunt, seems fantastic. My dream has always been to go to New Zealand to hunt, but with 2 kids in the budget, I'll have to wait a while or else my wife will move all my stuff to the garage...... Wink
morhua666 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morhua666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/17/2008 at 04:25
edit:

Shots distances: Goose, up too 350meters

Deer 50-250meters

Seal up too 200m (headshots when the seal is in the sea)
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/17/2008 at 04:29
Thanks for the heads-up. Yes South Africa has great hunting with lots of species on the menu. Hunting is readily available, but you need to take out your wallet. It is not too expensive in Euro's, but the average South African has to plan carefully to balance his budget.
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/17/2008 at 08:48
knocked a mk4 turret off, leo replaced, turret shears are more common in tactical type rifles and matches than I've seen in hunting applications, which usually involve some type of gravity dropped down a mountain, out of a truck etc. its even possible that the scope was not threaded correctly to start.
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/17/2008 at 10:51
You should try to send it back Leupold. It may take a while because of the extended shipping, but they have repaired this type of damage before under warranty for others. This is why the Leupold warranty is so highly rated. I would think that there would be an authorized service center in Europe somewhere.
Good luck which ever path you take.
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/17/2008 at 11:41
here is the link for the leupold customer service. You will not need a import/export form for norway if you have to send it in. Read all the details, and then call them to make sure.

Hope this helps.  Good luck!
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/17/2008 at 11:45
The rescue helicopter has arrived in time again. Good job Helo18
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/17/2008 at 12:10
Just doing what I can for the great members of this forum. Hate to see a fellow sportsman in a bind.
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
mercenary1947 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mercenary1947 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/17/2008 at 13:37
 If I did that to mine .... I'd still be setting in the woods with bulged eyeballs and my chin on my chest ..... Shocked  broke the front iron sight bead off many years ago 1 hour after entering the woods and had no scope on my rig .... after driving 2 hours to get there ..... tried for an hour to twist my leg backwards to kick my own rear but it would'nt do it ..... what made that rifle slide off that tree and that bead hit the only rock in 500 yards is still a mystery ... God hates me sometimes I think .... Whacker   LOL
One Shot One Kill .... *S.O.F * Head Shots Only
               SWFAM
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic