OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Everything Else > Almost Anything Goes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

A story that I needs to be told

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote niles coyote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A story that I needs to be told
    Posted: April/16/2008 at 05:00

This happened to me a while ago but I feel the need to share... and vent....

I made plans to go shooting clay's with a friend. Stopped by Wal-mart to pick up some 12ga shells. Found the 100 round box of #8's and skipped off to the register.

After getting home I packed up the gear only to find out I had bought 20ga Whacko shells.   No problem, store is only 5 minutes away I'll just do a exchange.....

Walked back into wal-mart with the item (old man/woman never stopped me to put a return item sticker on my box as no one was "guarding the door") skipped up to the return counter and explained what had happened. After talking to two CS rep's they call in the manager.

Manager explained to me that there was no way I could return or exchange these. (a little more involved here but I'll keep it short) As they do not allow it. So....

Off I skip to the gun counter (I got a ace up my sleeve the manager don't know aboutYippee). Talked to the fellow at the register whom just sold me the shells not more than 40 minutes ago. Told him what I did and why I need to exchange them. No problem he says. but I'll just have to call the manager for the key to make the transaction work... With a grin I say "no problem, I'm in no hurry"

Same manager comes walking back (not very happy to see ME again. Manager asks what I'm doing as he is Not going to help me.

I all most said "Here's your sign" but didn't. I just asked if he was now making policy or braking it... With a troubled look he says, "What". I point to a sign clearly displayed inside the secured gun locker on the gun counter that read "returns on ammo not excepted after 48 hours of purchase" And read it aloud to him just in case he was on a learning curve.

The exchange went through after that and the sign was immediately
removed by the manager as I skipped out the door....

Since then I have stopped spending my $150 a week on groceries there and encourage my wife to not shop there as much as possible.

Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/16/2008 at 05:11
You bet!! Go to Piggly Wiggly!!!Pig
silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/16/2008 at 10:22
Call head quarters and complain about the manager not understanding policy.
"If we weren't all crazy we, We would go insane."   Jimmie Buffet

WWW.formitch.com

reloader243 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reloader243 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/16/2008 at 11:58
This thread needs to be "Posted" or e-mailed to Wally World....It might help them understand that "WE" (the sports people that spend money at Wally World), need to be treated the same as the "socker moms"that return a shirt or pair of shoes. I would if I knew how to.
"Hitting it the 1st shot is gun control"
lucznik View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucznik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/16/2008 at 12:08
Originally posted by niles coyote niles coyote wrote:

This happened to me a while ago but I feel the need to share... and vent....

It happened to you "a while go," your issue was resolved, and yet you still feel a "need" to share and vent? 

That just seems so strange to me...

What if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reloader243 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/16/2008 at 12:46
I think the point of the post was missed. Not to "vent"...to "inform".Just my 2c worth.
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/16/2008 at 14:18
Originally posted by reloader243 reloader243 wrote:

I think the point of the post was missed. Not to "vent"...to "inform".Just my 2c worth.
I agree with Reloader243
Soap%20Box
Ok  Question. How much of your time did the Walmart personal waste? Calculating what you feel your time is worth. IE your life wage. Add this to the price of the shells and you have a true cost of the purchase. If more people would recognize the wasted time as an expense. The time hunting over a 5 acre store, time waiting on 2 checkers when there are 25 unmanned registers. Then you have the cost of shopping. If someone walked up to you in the parking lot and tool $20 from you you would be outraged. But any of the box stores that steal 2 or 3 hours of your time a week. thats 100 hours on the low side a year. With a wage of $50 per hour Minus the 28% taxes leaves $36 of your purchasing power. Then they have stolen $3,600 a year from you. That is a felony level theft where I come from. I bet you and your wife spend much more time than that in the Box stores. When were the people not to be served by the stores but the stores served by the people. Oh yea this all started back when Kennedy said (Ask not what the country government can do for you but what can you do for the Country government). This is where the people were taken from equals to being turned into slaves. I am old enough to be able to look back on what this country was, and I am sickened about what it has become. The removal of peoples rights should be fought at every turn. Rights, not assumed entitlements.
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/16/2008 at 14:25
Nice 3_tens, that is why I like to shop online.  I know what I want and can buy it in a matter of seconds and then it arrives at my house is a few days.  Simple as can be.  I just can't wait until I can buy groceries that way in my area.  I will be all over it.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
lucznik View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucznik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/16/2008 at 17:29
Originally posted by 3_tens 3_tens wrote:

I agree with Reloader243
Soap%20Box
Ok  Question. How much of your time did the Walmart personal waste? Calculating what you feel your time is worth. IE your life wage. Add this to the price of the shells and you have a true cost of the purchase. If more people would recognize the wasted time as an expense. The time hunting over a 5 acre store, time waiting on 2 checkers when there are 25 unmanned registers. Then you have the cost of shopping. If someone walked up to you in the parking lot and tool $20 from you you would be outraged. But any of the box stores that steal 2 or 3 hours of your time a week. thats 100 hours on the low side a year. With a wage of $50 per hour Minus the 28% taxes leaves $36 of your purchasing power. Then they have stolen $3,600 a year from you. That is a felony level theft where I come from. I bet you and your wife spend much more time than that in the Box stores. When were the people not to be served by the stores but the stores served by the people. Oh yea this all started back when Kennedy said (Ask not what the country government can do for you but what can you do for the Country government). This is where the people were taken from equals to being turned into slaves. I am old enough to be able to look back on what this country was, and I am sickened about what it has become. The removal of peoples rights should be fought at every turn. Rights, not assumed entitlements.

That's the absolute silliest thing I have read all year. 

NO ONE forces you to shop at a "big box" store.  You CHOOSE to do so.  There is nothing in those stores that cannot be found elsewhere.  If you chose to, you could frequent another, smaller store to get your purchases.  You very well might have to pay a little more as small stores don't have the same purchase power as the "big-box" stores but again, that's YOUR CHOICE. They are not engaged in the "theft" of your time.   The very idea is ludicrous.

The person who took your $20 did so against your will.  That is the crime.   That you chose to spend more than a reasonable amount of time wandering a 5-acre store is nobody's fault but your own.

There is no obligation for any store to man their entire bank of registers.  In fact, to do so is neither efficient nor profitable.  Having those registers helps to ensure their ability to better process transactions during heavy shopping times, like Christmas.  They were never intended to be manned 24/7/365. That this doesn't fit into your personal demands for convenience does not equate to a loss of "rights." Hippie

Stores are not and never have been there to "serve the people" beyond offering the specific service or product that they have chosen to sell and in the manner they choose to offer them.  They owe you nothing except the product or service for which you have paid.  You likewise, have no obligation to serve them or ensure that they remain viable.  You have total choice as to which store entrances your shadow darkens and your money supports. In short, you owe them nothing except the price of the product or service that you choose to purchase.   If a particular store offers a product or service that you find valuable, then it is your option to frequent that store.  If said store satisfies enough customers with their service, their prices, their products, or whatever, then they will likely remain viable. If not, they will fail.  This is the sum total of their relationship with you and your relationship with them. Anything else they offer, such as guarantees, warranties, easy refunds, helpful checkers, knowledgeable salespeople, etc. is a bonus - not a "right."

Last time I checked, the Constitution did not offer any "right" to:
  • a pleasant shopping experience
  • a free cash register with an attendant waiting with baited breath for your business
  • a personal shopping valet to get you to your desired products in the quickest and easiest way possible
  • salespeople who know what they're talking about
  • any warranty or gaurantee as to product usefullness, quality, longevity, value etc.
  • a refund of any kind - including for any losses to your "life wage"Loco
I am laughing so hard at your assertion that President Kennedy's famous "ask not" quote was what precipitated our being changed from "equals" to "slaves," that I can hardly type.  Especially as you equate that to the "felony theft" of your "life wage" perpetrated upon you by the evil "big box" stores.  I mean really, could you ever have been "victimized" by a more heinous crime?!?!  Whacko

My goodness, you sound worse than a Democrat.

Edited by lucznik - April/16/2008 at 18:25
lucznik View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucznik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/16/2008 at 17:35

He specifically stated it was to "share" and "vent." 

I'll take him at his word.
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/16/2008 at 18:32

Why is everything Democrat or Republican with you?  Democrat or Republican two sides of the same coin. Nothing in that post mentions politics. Why are you evading the issue. The issue is that Walmart violated Niles rights that they gave and published. Only through the waste of his time was he able to get what they promised to give him. Verbal abuse is a very strong weapon. Even more than a gun at times. I do not have the time to waste with name callers.

Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reloader243 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/16/2008 at 18:35

On vacation in Texas to vist son and family....no time to be at the range.......but this post is pure pleasure to my funny bone......Everyone have a great day.......I'm waitin to get back home in time to order my sightron......

lucznik View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucznik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/16/2008 at 19:44
Originally posted by 3_tens 3_tens wrote:

Why is everything Democrat or Republican with you?  Democrat or Republican two sides of the same coin. Nothing in that post mentions politics. Why are you evading the issue. The issue is that Walmart violated Niles rights that they gave and published. Only through the waste of his time was he able to get what they promised to give him. Verbal abuse is a very strong weapon. Even more than a gun at times. I do not have the time to waste with name callers.

I'm not entirely sure as I don't keep track of posts all that closely but, I think that was the first time I have ever even used the word Democrat (or Republican) on this forum.   I am pretty decidedly anti-politician, regardless of party affiliation.  I used it this time because it is the Democrats who most commonly are talking about perceived "rights" which don't really exist.

(It is interesting to see that you at least agree that the term "Democrat" reflects an unpleasant "name" to be called. Big%20Grin)

As to your assertion of avoiding the issue, I already posted (long before you by the way) my opinion that it is strange indeed that a person would feel a "need" to "share and vent" a story that happened "a while ago" and that was resolved in his favor.  This is especially true considering he is sharing the story with a bunch of total strangers. That doesn't seem like "issue avoidance" to me.  Walmart, by the way, did not violate any of his rights as they rectified the problem.  The individual in question may or may not have been wrong initially but, that's a completely different argument/issue.  Let's examine one possibility briefly.

It is possible (and perhaps even highly probable), for example, that the actual, current Walmart policy is that ammunition cannot be returned (which is common in most stores that sell ammo) and that when this policy change was made, someone neglected to remove the sign which stated otherwise.  The manager could have quoted the change in policy and refused to give the refund and still would have been within his actual rights.  He chose rather to make the exchange and then remove the problem sign.  Using this paradigm, he has actually given more than the customer had any real "right" to demand and thus should be commended, not vilified.

My second post was in response to a completely ridiculous assertion of "life wage" and the "felony theft" thereof perpetrated by large box stores because they don't pander to the desires for convenience of particular patrons.  Then there was the unbelievably silly attempt to connect this loss of "rights" to a popular Presidential (and thus a political mention by you, by the way) speech from the 1960's in the which it was alleged that we, from then on, stopped being "equals" becoming instead "slaves."  Again my post addressed the very issue at hand - hardly an avoidance problem.

The whole thing reminds me a great deal of the silly people over on the so-called "campfire" who spent days on end and posted well over 50 pages of whining over a miscommunication about the availability of certain fixed power Nikon scopes here at SWFA.  Terms like "bait and switch," "violation of rights," "dishonest business practices," etc. were bantered about with gusto.  Of course, they were all completely stupid and wrong but, that didn't stop them.  Ask about it even today and you can get them going about how they were "cheated." 

Put simply, we have too many self-proclaimed "victims" in our society who feel the "need" to "share and vent" about petty misunderstandings and who think that anything that causes them any inconvenience is a matter of national importance.

If you choose to post openly something that is petty, ridiculous, stupid, or otherwise unreasonable, don't act surprised/offended when someone like me chooses to call you on it.

Edited by lucznik - April/16/2008 at 21:31
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/16/2008 at 21:16

This thread needs to be "Posted" or e-mailed to Wally World....It might help them understand that "WE" (the sports people that spend money at Wally World), need to be treated the same as the "socker moms"that return a shirt or pair of shoes. I would if I knew how to.

I avoid Walmart, Lowe's, Home Depot and Outdoor World. I choose the stores that earn my business. These Do Not. They choose to do business there way. I do not agree with it. The only honest option is to not support them. I alone can not do much harm to them. If more people would firm up and stand by their words then the giants would change or fail. I am hard, but can stand firm only for myself. Only you can ask yourself the level of your personal conviction.

ckk1106 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ckk1106 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/16/2008 at 23:37
I'm not complaining, but I had a similar instance with WalMart.  I purchased a box of 223 rounds 55 gr for 9 dollars.  The guy, mistakenly, gave me a box of 45 grain that were 12 dollars.  We noticed after I had already swiped my card.  He said, "No problem, just take them up the the return dept at the front of the store, tell them what happened, and say your trading for the 55 grain."  He then thought about it and decided to accompany me.  We waited in line for about 5 minutes.  I knew I should have left, cause after all, it was only 3 dollars.  We finally get to the front of the line and the lady says I can't exchange the ammo.  The guy explained that I hadn't even left the store yet.  Needless to say, I left with the 45 grain, 12 dollar ammo.  Just a pain.  Oh well.
mercenary1947 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mercenary1947 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/22/2008 at 14:21
 I save too darn much when they have their sales to stop buying ammo there . Besides I ALWAYS CHECK the box to make sure it's right . You have to realize most sales people there know nothing of ammo and a box could get put on the wrong pile .
One Shot One Kill .... *S.O.F * Head Shots Only
               SWFAM
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic