OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

What Scope?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote huntindawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What Scope?
    Posted: April/15/2008 at 15:49
I'm setting up my long range rifle and I was wondering about a good scope.

The rifle is a Remington 700 pss in .308

the three scopes i have been looking at are; Nightforce NXS 5.5-22x56mm with the np-r1 reticle

IOR 4-14x50mm with MP-8 reticle

leupold 4.5-14x50 mark 4 LR/T with the Tactical Milling reticle

which one would be best and are there others that would be better? I plan on shooting out to 1000yrds with this rig.

E-mail: Huntingdog7717@alltel.net

Edited by huntindawg - April/15/2008 at 15:52
play golf with a potato cannon! its more fun!!!!
learjet View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote learjet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/15/2008 at 18:10
if i were u id research the difference betw first and second focal plane scopes and the pure performance and simplicity of fixed powers. no one is gonna say any of your choices are the "best", or that ANY scope is the "BEST"...

all the scopes u have listed are SFP, which may serve u well, depending on what u want the scope to do. but, after some reading, u might decide you want a FFP scope. id hate to see anyone fork out serious cash before making an informed decision. this forum, snipershide, and the long range hunting forums have tons of information, and some rather heated arguments on this subject.

btw, i see quite a few SFP top of the line scopes for sale, and my guess is folks realize too late, wayy to late, that the FFP would suit them better

GL!!

lear
huntindawg View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote huntindawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/15/2008 at 20:14
What about us-optics?
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/16/2008 at 09:07

ffp not particularly good for long range shooting, not fair to compare the leo and ior to this nf in this application. and you probably won't need the 56mm obj.

huntindawg View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote huntindawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/17/2008 at 06:39
Why do you say ffp isn't good for long range? it seems to me like it would be better
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/17/2008 at 09:05
cross hair become to large, subtends to much angle. the principle that makes it good for dark hunting. even ffp people like S&B use sfp on their long range stuff. anybody looked at the 10x50 yet??. most long range f class use sfp and usually nightforce.
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/17/2008 at 09:08

mil type ranging reticles start to poop out about 600 yds as to reading accuracy. so ffp scopes that are used to range targets (military and LE) are used much closer so if the shooter needs a guick change to say 50 yds. the biggest advantage to ffp is that both the spotter and the shooter are reading off the same sheet music. if the shooter changes power and the spotter doesn't get the same mag using sfp what correction is he going to tell the shooter-- shooter you are 1/2 target width high and 2 low???

Countryscape View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Countryscape Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/17/2008 at 19:44
I'm doing some really nice things so far with my IOR 2.5-10x with the FFP reticle. Maybe at powers well above 10x, the reticle might become  to large ( not sure how it looks) but with the mp-8 reticle being fairly small  to begin with, I disagree that it isn't any good for long range shooting. I've had both and prefer the ffp over the sfp, at least in the mp-8. Also, I'm probably looking at bigger groups than someone shooting more refined so you really have to define what your trying to do. 

I think you should take into consideration the STYLE of reticle and what type of down range shooting your trying to do before deciding what is the best for your needs. The ffp is at a disadvantage in powers below 4x and  would be useless in low light without illumination. I really believe that using bright glass with the right reticle combination, considerably reduces the need for higher powers like so many people seem to want.

I don't know if the elite 6500 is available but it could also be another option to consider?  The US dollar is fading and the euro is costing more so prices have taken some increases here. 
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/17/2008 at 21:07
anything can be used for long range shooting-- said ffp was not particularly good and aren't used in most match setups.
Countryscape View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Countryscape Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/18/2008 at 00:23
There is no doubt that the FFP reticle scopes are not as popular in the US and wouldn't be used as much as the SFP. Most of us grew up using the American version with the SFP but I've talked to several over at the sniper forum who really love their FFP scopes. They shoot 1000 yard matches with .308's. 

The hardest part for me that has been dificult to learn, is when the scope is set in its lowest settings of 2.5x were it becomes really tiny The IOR is so bright and clear, I really haven't had the need to use the lower settings and I'm not worried about it so much. To me, the reticle becoming too small below about 4x is my biggest complaint. Over the past year I've collected a lot of information about the mp-8 reticle with the FFP and somewhere I found an article that claimed the floating dot covered up 4 inches when using  10x at 1000 yards. Also, the newer FFP from IOR are supposed to all have the finer substrands and  honestly, the reticle at 10x is no bigger than alot of reticles in the SFP from different scope manunfacturers.

I'm doing my long range hunting thing, having lots of fun and have no regrets about the IOR or the FFP. It's reticle is superior to any other scope optic I own and clearly for my purpose, the bigger reticle makes it much easier and faster to get on target. Without question, its  the only way to go if your putting together this type of reticle for hunting when light is never as good as you'd like:)

It's all a matter of personal preference and what works for you. Heck, its what makes this country so great!
Jon A View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jon A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/23/2008 at 04:49
Originally posted by Dale Clifford Dale Clifford wrote:

anything can be used for long range shooting-- said ffp was not particularly good and aren't used in most match setups.

First, what sort of "match setups" are you talking about?  Benchrest?  This is the tactical section.   I think you'll find FFP's are, in fact, "used in most tactical match setups" even those with extremely long range targets.

Second, when FFP's come in everything from a basic #4 type reticle to a GenII XR, generalizing about them, throwing them all into one bucket is pretty silly.  Have you ever seen a GenII XR?  What, in your opinion makes it "bad" for long range shooting?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic